Heated mirrors

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Heated mirrors

Post by peter2b »

Just noted that both mirrors don't demist any more could it be a fuse?
Peter2b
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Heated mirrors

Post by Robert T »

Wiring diagram doesn't show the heating elements, but IIRC, they are wired across the supply for the motors. If you can't adjust the mirrors, then it's the fuse (24).

Note that heated side mirrors were not standard on all models - mine doesn't have them. They also seem to be on all the time, even in summer, so it is possible that they have burnt out.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

cheers Robert I will have a look this weekend
peter2b
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

As Robert says the heated mirror glass are wired off the same circuit as the electric mirrors, when the mirror adjustment knob is in the central position the power to the heated mirror is passed through.
Rich-Z

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rich-Z »

I've noticed that only one of mine works (left) which makes pulling right onto the dual carriageway on a cold morning a riskaay move due to the fogged up glass. Are both of them meant to work? how does one go about investigating?

Z3 > Miata
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

If one works, they both should. I'd start by taking the glass out of the non-working one just to make sure it hasn't been replaced at some point in the past with a non-heated mirror. That will also give access to the wiring to the glass so you can check for a voltage and so on.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Brian H wrote:...when the mirror adjustment knob is in the central position the power to the heated mirror is passed through.
I assume you mean the "joystick" that moves the mirrors, and not the selector switch that decides which mirror to move? On my car there are only two positions for the latter, so it is not possible to leave a switch in the wrong position, and I am assuming that this is the case on all Z3s. If power is only supplied to the heating element when the motors aren't running, then a broken switch could also cause the heaters to not work, so that is something else to consider.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Robert T wrote:
Brian H wrote:...when the mirror adjustment knob is in the central position the power to the heated mirror is passed through.
I assume you mean the "joystick" that moves the mirrors, and not the selector switch that decides which mirror to move? On my car there are only two positions for the latter, so it is not possible to leave a switch in the wrong position, and I am assuming that this is the case on all Z3s. If power is only supplied to the heating element when the motors aren't running, then a broken switch could also cause the heaters to not work, so that is something else to consider.

Cheers R.
Yes the joystick Robert, should have been a little clearer.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

both switches are eather one way or the other no center off,both mirrors did move last time i checked , I'll have a look in morning
peter2b