Z3 Hardtop

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
britlad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Z3 Hardtop

Post by britlad »

Hi, I have just bought a nice 1999 2.8 Z3. I looked at the issues about hardtop fixing kits and went to the local BMW agent to see if mine needs one. They said yes. However downloading the pdf document about fitting the hardtop I find that what I have looks exactly like the diagrams. I live close to West Malling, Kent. Is there anyone close by who has a hardtop who can put me right.
Thanks, Michael
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3 Hardtop

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Maybe you could post some photos?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The hardtop mounts are to the rear of what would be the B-pillar on a saloon - just behind the seats and in front of the seatbelt turrets. The trim with the rotating covers may or not be fitted. This is my car, with the trim fitted and the cover retracted. You can see the top of the metal hardtop bracket and the tube-sign shaped socket that the legs on the rear of the hardtop fit into:

The other giveaway is if the car has a heated rear window switch between the seats, but it is possible that someone removed the brackets and sold them but forgot to remove the switch.

Note that the holes in the windscreen frame which take the grub screws for securing the front of the hardtop are present on all Z3s, so this is no indication of a hardtop fitting kit. If they have grub screws in them, then it might have had one fitted at some point.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
britlad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by britlad »

Thanks, pictures are just as mine is and there is a rear window heater switch. Obviously at 17 years the car is beyond the BMW agents grasp.
Michael
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

A £500 bonus then..... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..