Centre vent suddenly lost air flow

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Grello

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Centre vent suddenly lost air flow

Post by Grello »

Morning all.

Coming back from a top down spin in the bright and cold weather of yesterday, I suddenly lost 95% of the hot airflow from the centre face vent. At the same time, the drivers side vent increased in air flow significantly. I'm imagining that a hose or summat has come off the centre vent but I've not been able to find anything the same in searching here or elsewhere.

I'm hoping that it's an easy fix as taking all the dash out fills me with dread. I've also got an aftermarket Pioneer radio and I can't find a tool to remove it to even have a peek.

Does anyone have any ideas, please, as the car has gone from totally driveable in the cold to not so much fun to drive in the cold?!

Thank you in anticipation.

G
Grello

2002 Z3 2.2 M Sport, East Sussex
Adam

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Centre vent suddenly lost air flow

Post by Adam »

Not being an expert or anything but I would think that if a hose had come off then the output would have dropped across all vents.

I would have a guess that there is a blockage on the centre vent and therefore the extra pressure that cant get through the centre vent is being forced through the other vents. The same as if the centre vent has been closed and the outer left open. Could be leaves this time of year.

Other option is that the flap in the vent has broken off and has dropped and is stuck in the closed position.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Adam wrote:Other option is that the flap in the vent has broken off and has dropped and is stuck in the closed position.
That would be my guess too. I seem to remember someone having a problem a while back where the vent wouldn't stay open. When you operate the centre vent does it feel like the wheel is connected to anything or is it just spinning freely?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

Hi,
In any case, the centre vent is probably the easiest one to check, as it just pulls out and clicks back in, whereas the diver side vent takes a bit longer as it is mounted on the lights switch. As mentioned above, first move is to inspect centre vent as it seems to be obstructed and thus increasing pressure to side vents. Now, if you had lost heat, rather than pressure, that would be another kettle of fish...
Fingers crossed,

Boosh.
Grello

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Grello »

Thank you Team!

OK, so I pulled out the vent, started her up, whacked the fan to max and there was oodles of air coming from the centre vent hole. I did notice that the open/close mechanism on the vent was a little looser than I imagined, i.e. it could be closed by simply giving the vent a tap. So, I've put it back and all is good.

So, it would appear that perhaps I went over a bump that simply closed the vent. :lol: That's somewhat embarrassing as I certainly hadn't spotted that it was closed! :head:

I guess we'll put that one down to "User Error", insofar as diagnosing the problem. :dunce: However, I wonder if the vent's open/close mechanism is getting a bit tired. I might seek out another on on Fleabay if it happens again.

Thanks again to all who responded. I shall go back into my hole and pretend that I'm not that stoopid!

TTFN

G
Grello

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Grello wrote:I guess we'll put that one down to "User Error", insofar as diagnosing the problem. :dunce:
In IT we use the acronym PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair) - perhaps we need a PEBCADS (Problem Exists Between Car And Driver's Seat)! :wink:

It might be worth looking out the old thread, as there might be a fix if things have got a bit loose with age.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Grello

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Grello »

Oh, many things have got loose with age, Robert! I'll see if I can find the thread...

Yes, we used PICNIC, Problem In Chair Not In Computer, also "Nut loose on the keyboard" or in this case "Nut loose behind steering wheel"! :lol:

G
Grello

BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Simply cut out a thin C shaped plastic foil (outer diameter about 6cm) and slip it in next to the dial to increase friction.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Just Hope you don't get a FUBAR!

:cheers
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Grello

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Grello »

Thanks BonBon - that sounds like a simple and effective fix. :D I will give it a go!

Bonzo - I think this one is more SNAFU than FUBAR at the moment but it may become the latter if I don't do BonBon's fix correctly!

Cheers all.

G
Grello