Recomendations for new shocks

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Recomendations for new shocks

Post by usernothername »

Looks like one of my front shockers has failed, although no noticeable ride issues. I'm not interested in lowering it or adjustables, so I'm looking at OEM or compatible. Anyone had experience of the Sachs? Or these Koni? Not sure if the Koni will slot straight in as the Sachs will or if they would need some modification to the existing strut? If so that would rule them out for me. I'll probably get the fronts fitted by a garage and do the backs myself at some point later down the line.

Sachs: http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/BMW_Z ... cf6&000925

Koni: http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/ ... ;car=bmwz3

Current mess:

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Recomendations for new shocks

Post by Del »

Sachs Super Touring are identical to the originals - I have them on my Z3 and they are fine - the car's handling was restored. Sachs are a top German supplier - my daily Audi has OE Sachs shocks on it. :)
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Be careful though as there are Sport and non-Sport versions. Most web sites I checked fail to make the distinction.

Bav Auto does know the difference (as you might expect).

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp?HC1=0&h ... M=Z3%203.0

Those are the Sachs part numbers they show.

I think the Sports parts are known as Advantage not Super Touring.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I renewed my front and rear suspension using OEM Sachs springs and shocks from E.C.P., Meyle drop links and A.R.B.mounting bushes. Other spares suppliers are available...... A noticeable difference, smooth and surefooted.

:cheers

Bonzo
Last edited by Bonzo on Wed 28 Dec, 2016 16:14, edited 2 times in total.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Never, ever, ever buy from Euro Car parts unless you get a 30% discount. Use code 'xmas' currently and these shocks are £66.82

Just sign up to the newsletter for these codes.
ImageImage
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Thanks Del and Bonzo. I think I'll go for Sachs.

Thanks also mrscalex
mrscalex wrote:Be careful though as there are Sport and non-Sport versions. Most web sites I checked fail to make the distinction.

Do you know what the difference is? Some say the sport editions have a lower ride height but I'm not sure they do - I have a 2001 2.2i sport - so maybe I'd need the sports version? Also weird to see that at BAV the sports ones are cheaper than the normal ones. Is your 2001 2.2 a sport edition?
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Thanks Del and Bonzo. I think I'll go for Sachs.

Thanks also mrscalex
mrscalex wrote:Be careful though as there are Sport and non-Sport versions. Most web sites I checked fail to make the distinction.

Do you know what the difference is? Some say the sport editions have a lower ride height but I'm not sure they do - I have a 2001 2.2i sport - so maybe I'd need the sports version if my springs really are shorter? Also weird to see that at BAV the sports ones are cheaper than the normal ones. Is your 2001 2.2 a sport edition?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I have a Sport which is why I was careful to try and tie it down. Although I was only doing it for future reference and I haven't bought any yet. The previous owner replaced them with non-Sport. So they're on my to do list.

The Sport springs are 15mm lower. Not sure what the difference is with the strut but realoem lists it as a different part for the Sport. As it does the rubber bump stop.
ImageImage
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

That's good to know - thanks very much
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I would go with sports. I have oem sports on black car and standard on yellow. Driving in yellow makes me dizzy. Replacing soon oem sports on black with bilsteins sports with acs lowered springs for looks and stiffer ride.
stevov

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by stevov »

I would hope you are joking about being dizzy while driving. If not I would get the condition checked by a doctor. A public forum is not a place for an admission for suffering an incapacity to drive condition.
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Sometimes I feel giddy just looking at my Z parked on the driveway - maybe I also have a problem
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

stevov wrote:I would hope you are joking about being dizzy while driving. If not I would get the condition checked by a doctor. A public forum is not a place for an admission for suffering an incapacity to drive condition.
My health is perfectly fine, just wanted to say, that driving with oem standard shocks and springs make me feel like I am sitting on Image.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Each to his own. I'm perfectly happy with the ride/handling with my new O.E.M. suspension and strut braces set up. Having a Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Braces mean my ground clearance is limited anyway. I enjoy spirited driving, usually without bottoming out when speed humps and the like are encountered, and also have a comfortable driving experience. I think road cars that are lowered from stock by much look comical and ridiculous anyway. That's just my opinion, so each to his own and enjoy what you do.

:cheers and merry Christmas to all, and to my friends on .org .

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
NZ00Z3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by NZ00Z3 »

I used Meyle front and rear. very happy with the ride.

There was a "M suspension" option available to the non-m Z3's when new. This suspension has about a 15 mm drop in height. We get a lot of Jap import Z3's down here with this option. Maybe this is the application for those sport units
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

NZ00Z3 wrote: There was a "M suspension" option available to the non-m Z3's when new. This suspension has about a 15 mm drop in height. We get a lot of Jap import Z3's down here with this option. Maybe this is the application for those sport units
That is what I have on my black car - option number 704 - M Sport Suspension (M Sportfahrwerk). Much more stable feel than standard suspension.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I don't think I'll fall off the road with my set up though. :wink:
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Thanks all. Are there other components that should be changed at the same time as the front shocks? Either essential or worth doing proactively while the strut is off? Bump stops perhaps? Looks like the bushes were already replaced pretty recently.

Also is there a way to see what options were and were not taken when your car was built? I'm guessing a dealer might be able to access this info but not sure if they will give it out (for free!)?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

I don't think the bump stops, even in grotty looking condition are going to contribute much loss of handling. But if they are starting to disintegrate like mine were or if you just want to be thorough it's worth doing. They are £16 each from the dealer.

The rubber coil seating pads will need inspection and cleaning but don't bother replacing these either unless they are deteriorated.

There are some paper gaskets that go between the top of the strut and inner wing. Not sure how vital they are but they are £5 each (ouch) from the dealer.

You should also replace all 3 strut to hub bolts on each side.

If attempting the job yourself get a 24" breaker bar as they are horrible nuts to remove otherwise.

Apart from the bolts replacing a complete strut is not too difficult at all. But dismantling and inparticular reassembling the strut is best left to someone who's done it before unless you invest in a proper machine (not the £30 clamps).

It's where you stop really. You could argue it's worth changing the wishbones/lollipops and drop links while you're in the area too, maybe even the anti-roll bar bushes and inner/outer tie rods. They aren't hugely expensive. Meyle would be £169 from trusted ebay seller johnyboy-1. No idea on what it would add to labour costs. 2 hours?
ImageImage
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

usernothername wrote:Thanks all. Are there other components that should be changed at the same time as the front shocks? Either essential or worth doing proactively while the strut is off? Bump stops perhaps? Looks like the bushes were already replaced pretty recently.
Adding OEM front strut reinforcement plates probably?
usernothername wrote:Also is there a way to see what options were and were not taken when your car was built? I'm guessing a dealer might be able to access this info but not sure if they will give it out (for free!)?
http://bimmer.work
usernothername

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by usernothername »

Thanks - also just noticed the sticky for this whoops