Smells hot after high speed run

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Smells hot after high speed run

Post by alec.m »

Year 2000 3.0 auto.
Don`t often get a chance to give it some beans but the last half dozen times I have I`ve had a strange smell in the cabin. Not too sure if I`ve seen a waft of something coming out from under the bonnet too. First thought was a slight oil leak onto the exhaust but it doesn`t smell like oil and there`s no evidence of oil anywhere. Wheels aren`t hot so I`ve discounted sticky brake pistons. I`ve air con which has never worked, could it be anything to do with the compressor? Runs perfectly with no warning lights. Doesn`t happen on an ordinary journey. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Smells hot after high speed run

Post by colb »

I think you may have identified the problem from what you say about the aircon never having worked.
Good chance if its not been working bacteria has grown inside and is giving off the smell you experience particularly when the car itself is running hot.
Will need to see whats wrong with the system, compressor or just out of gas possibly due to a leak. Once its recharged and working then you can get a kit from Halfords or online elsewhere to spray into the air vents to kill any bacteria growth and clean the system.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Smells hot after high speed run

Post by alec.m »

Thanks Colb. I'll see if I can get the air con charged and working. If that cures the smell that would be great, if not that'll be one thing out of the equation.