2.2 to 3.0 M52 engine swap/conversion - whats involved ?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Bobafixit

Z3 roadster 3.0i

2.2 to 3.0 M52 engine swap/conversion - whats involved ?

Post by Bobafixit »

Hi guys

I'm thinking about buying a cheap late Z3 2.2 sport roadster, whats involved in swapping the engine for a 3.0 M52 engine. Has anyone on this forum done this conversion ?
my Questions:
Are the gearboxes, diff (ratio), brakes, exhaust etc the same ?
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: 2.2 to 3.0 M52 engine swap/conversion - whats involved ?

Post by pingu »

Are you planning to swap from a donor car, or to get the parts individually.

I ask this because with the donor car option, it is probably easier to swap everything, whether it's different or not.

From what I understand, the main problem will be the ECUs and the ignition key, and the instrument cluster and mileage.

The answer to your OP is on realoem or any of the Haynes type manuals.
Pingu
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Very best of luck finding a 3.0 Z3 donor!

There are plenty of 3.0 M54 engines out there but the electronics they come with will be mapped for e.g. a 3 Series saloon.

You'd probably be better of just buying a 3.0.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by therealdb1 »

AFAIK all the 3 litre engines are M54 so unless you find a 2.8 litre that has been modified to 3 litres what you are asking to do is not possible anyway.
You could buy a 2.2 and enjoy it for what it is since it is an excellent car in its own right but if you need more grunt then buy a 3 litre to start with.
By the time you locate a trashed 3 litre, and have paid a whole heap of money for it, so that you can swap most of the front end and anything else you need over what have you gained?
You will even have to insure it as a modified car whereas if you just buy a 3 litre to start with it can be insured as a standard car.