Can I use a different part number? (Roof Pump)

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Can I use a different part number? (Roof Pump)

Post by swabyk »

Hi,
I need a new roof pump/motor as mine just doesn’t work, when trying to down the roof there is nothing engaging, ive replaced all fuses, tried switches, contacts, cable breakages etc and can only think now its the pump that needs replacing. However, my question is this;

My pump is shown in the first picture and has a model number of; 8 410 305.9

I can’t find any of these for sale anywhere but there seems to be quite a few for sale with the number; 8 407 224 02

Both pumps look identical, can I replace mine with the one shown below for sale, or is it imperative you replace the same part numbers?

Thank you in advance
Ken

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Can I use a different part number? (Roof Pump)

Post by Robert T »

When you say nothing is engaging, do you mean that the pump motor runs when you press the button (after lifting the front section of the roof and depressing the brake pedal)? If it does, then it is likely the brass screw has been turned, which disengages the mechanism allowing the roof to be operated manually in the event of a failure.

If it is not that, then electrical failure is much more common than pump failure. Make sure that it is the pump before you replace it.

And to answer your question, yes there are at least two different models of pump. The look slightly different, and possibly have different mountings, as in photos they look to have a different orientation. If the mountings are the same, then they should be interchangeable.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
swabyk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by swabyk »

When i press the roof button nothing happens, no noise from the pump, just zero of anything! :(

I have noticed in the pics of mine the fluid is very low, would this be an issue? I would imagine even if the fluid inside was low you'd still get some sort of noise/engagement from the pump/motor?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Is there any voltage at the pump when it should be running? As Robert says, you are far more likely to have an electrical problem (brake switch, roof microswitch) than a pump failure. I'd go down the diagnosis route otherwise you'll be throwing money and parts at it in a 'hit-and-hope' fashion.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I agree with Bladerunner. I think that you are diving into the parts bin too early.

Have you tried to manually open the roof at the same time as electronically opening it?
Pingu
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Check your brake lights are working. If the brake pedal switch has failed that would inhibit the motor. Happened on my motor a few years back.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

one thing no one has said are you lifting the front up about 4 ins other wise the pump won't work,
peterz3
BeemerBoyo

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BeemerBoyo »

Ken, I responded to your request back in December and sent an email and several messages to you explaining I have a pump and could have met up with you to deliver it. If you find you still need one let me know and we can agree on a price. Mine is without the ram and pipe work. You never responded to me and I gave up.

I agree with peter2b are you lifting the leading edge of the roof up several inches to open the micro switch on the left side of the roof, engine running and foot on brake pedal?

How long have you had the car how familiar are you with it? There is a rotary "T" bar key on the pump to disengage the hydraulic mechanism if it fails so that you can operate the roof manually. Has this been turned through 90 degrees?

I think you need to methodically go through the fault finding step by step then you will find the cause. We are here to help!
2002 E37 BMW Z3 2.2 Sport
2008 E93 BMW 3 series 325i m sport convertible

Previous BMW cars

2007 E87 BMW 1 series 120D
2013 F21 BMW 1 series 120D