Sticky Brake Caliper?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Sticky Brake Caliper?

Post by Warrior »

I had an advisory on last years MOT that the drivers side brake caliper was sticking. I'd had a couple of minor juddery moments that I put down to the road surface at the time, but had the caliper looked at and it's been fine up til now. Zeddie has done very few miles of late and the caliper is sticking again so going to bite the bullet and replace.

Couple of questions. Any benefit in having both fronts done at the same time? Genuine BMW or aftermarket?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Sticky Brake Caliper?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I can't see any reason to do both if only one is a problem. Why not just send yours to be refurbished by these guys: http://www.biggred.co.uk (assuming this isn't your daily-driver, of course).
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Very cheap to overhaul yourself, but can be very fiddly and potentially quite dangerous :shock: .
Pingu
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

BladeRunner919 wrote:I can't see any reason to do both if only one is a problem. Why not just send yours to be refurbished by these guys: http://www.biggred.co.uk (assuming this isn't your daily-driver, of course).
Liking the red one's..... Do you know if they actually refurbish the one's you send or like for like?

Also I have no idea what new OEM calipers cost so can't tell if prices are good? :rtm:
Rafolian

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rafolian »

Pair of brand new front calipers with 12 month warranty on fleabay, 76 quid!!!!
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

my zed was getting hot on the front ns wheel , even though the caliper looked ok and free movement I changed it sorted only took 30 mins to change it, had a level 11 service the next week end so they replaced the fluid for me
peterz3
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

In most cases you only need to replace the rubber piston seal and dust cap. A good idea to replace an aged brake hose at the same time as they can break-down inside and cause similar symptoms to a sticky caliper. Plenty of "how to" videos on youtube
https://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/
corky

M roadster S50

Post by corky »

When you change the pads and force the piston back to quick it can drag air into the system.
So when you are driving the air warms up and expands to put pressure on the pads making them hot .
solution.
Bleed the caliper to take the air out and you should be fine
leahandsteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by leahandsteve »

Just done this last week, very easy to do.

A kit to do both rears from Big Red £43 delivered, comes with pistons, all seals, grease.

The other essential piece of kit is a Sealy VS820 pressure bleeder, makes bleeding a doddle.
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

Mine just had sticky pads in the caliper due to rust. Needed new pads and discs and a good file.. All ok now.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Warrior wrote:
BladeRunner919 wrote:I can't see any reason to do both if only one is a problem. Why not just send yours to be refurbished by these guys: http://www.biggred.co.uk (assuming this isn't your daily-driver, of course).
Liking the red one's..... Do you know if they actually refurbish the one's you send or like for like?

Also I have no idea what new OEM calipers cost so can't tell if prices are good? :rtm:

If you send them away they refurbish yours and send them back. The kits they supply are great and the prices have been mentioned already - not difficult to do as long as you are competent at bleeding your brakes, the hardest thing could be getting the sticking piston out of the caliper itself. BIGGRED website have plenty of video links how to do it all as well.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
MarkAP68

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by MarkAP68 »

I replaced the seals and pistons on all 4 of my calipers, as mentioned before it can be a bugger to get the piston out but I used compressed air and it came out easily. I got all the parts off ebay, cost me around £8 for each caliper.

I also got them shot blasted whilst they were stripped down and powder coated for about £10 each.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

You can usually get them out with a footpump quite easily using a piece of pipe like a vac hose (or whatever fits tightly in the footpump and slots into the caliper connection. Doesn't need to be airtight, just pressed on whilst you work the pump.
leahandsteve

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by leahandsteve »

You can usually pump the piston out once the pads are removed, just using the break pedal.

A bit messy once the piston pops out, just have a bowl underneath.

Thats how i did mine.