Wind deflector to fit AC Schnitzer hoops.

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Uncle_Clanger
Sponsor 2018

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Wind deflector to fit AC Schnitzer hoops.

Post by Uncle_Clanger »

Hi,

I've been given the nod from the other side that a member here is making a perspex wind deflector that will be a custom fit for the ACS chrome roll hoops.

Could anybody point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Wind deflector to fit AC Schnitzer hoops.

Post by deni2s »

I don't think someone does them for sale. You can make your own from template on one of the bottom links here:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/3138409/
Please post the pic of your car with those beauties!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I have the plastic deflector designed for the stock roll hoops, I have ACS hoops and the fit isn't good with the deflector.

The template mentioned only has two dimensions so you'll have to figure out the rest.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Gazza wrote:I have the plastic deflector designed for the stock roll hoops, I have ACS hoops and the fit isn't good with the deflector.

The template mentioned only has two dimensions so you'll have to figure out the rest.
the dimensions only help to order a rectangle of perspex. other than that its of no use

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Boosh

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Boosh »

That's what I did for mine (regular hoops). I knew I'd seen a template somewhere on here, which, after a long search, turned out to not be a great help. So I got a large piece of cardboard and traced my own. The difficult areas were the two slots at the bottom, where the angled hoops bases go through the plane of the screen. I got a sheet of 5mm perspex from a surplus warehouse and started jigsawing. First attempt was a little wide at said areas, so I made another cardboard template and jigsawed another screen, which fits just right. Cutting the slots for the straps required a lot of patience to keep them thin and symmetrical, but all in all, it's a nice little project. After filing the edges (I decided against some black edge trim), it was all done. Took me about 4 hours in all.
A different shape of hoops shouldn't make that much of a difference to the process or cost. It cost me €15/m2 for the perspex (think I've got enough to make another 1 or 2 :wink: ), and €10 for 5m of velcro straps. And you'd be hard pushed to tell it's home made. However, the difference in brightness when the hood is up, compared to the "ladies' tights" OE, is incredible. Glad I did it.
Here it is:
Only very slight drawback is faint reflection of the centre console at night, but not that great a deal, TBH.

Give it a go. You'll wonder how you managed without it!

Boosh.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

gookah wrote:
Gazza wrote: The template mentioned only has two dimensions so you'll have to figure out the rest.
the dimensions only help to order a rectangle of perspex. other than that its of no use
Bullshit. Bring the template to perspex laser cutting service and they will do the rest. Template has all the required shapes. Ask me how I know ;)
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Gazza wrote:I have the plastic deflector designed for the stock roll hoops, I have ACS hoops and the fit isn't good with the deflector.
The template mentioned is for ACS hoops with "the rest" already figuered out, not for stock hoops.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

deni2s wrote:
gookah wrote:
Gazza wrote: The template mentioned only has two dimensions so you'll have to figure out the rest.
Bullshit. Bring the template to perspex laser cutting service and they will do the rest. Template has all the required shapes. Ask me how I know ;)
nice language
If you went to the trouble of drawing up a template, it would have been better to put all the dimensions and the radii on it.
That way we could make our own rather than find a laser cutting company.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

In fairness it's my template. I drew it from scratch and developed the shape through measuring an actual one shantybeater sent me when I bought the ac Schnitzer hoops from him. His was a bit rough and ready and i produced a number of prototypes until the shape was suitable. I sent it to deni2 when he requested it after buying some hoops, but i didn't realise he was going to publish it.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

gookah wrote: If you went to the trouble of drawing up a template, it would have been better to put all the dimensions and the radii on it.
That way we could make our own rather than find a laser cutting company.
Just print it out on paper, attach paper to perspex plate and cut your own. IMHO laser cutting will have better appeal ;)
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

('_')Z3 wrote:i didn't realise he was going to publish it.
Sent you pm regarding this. I can unpublish if you wish, just let me know.