Instrument cluster lighting

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Jeano-M

Z3 roadster 2.0

Instrument cluster lighting

Post by Jeano-M »

Hello all, I have just bought a Z3m after having a 2.0 Z3 for 18 months. It is in almost show condition but does have a slight problem in the dials. The mileage is showing but only very faintly and it does not alter if I turn the brightness up or down. The service lights are lit up as they should be. Is this just a simple bulb swap?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Instrument cluster lighting

Post by Robert T »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are two small bulbs used to illuminate the odometer and service indicator displays. Sounds like your odometer bulb has gone. Mine went a while back and whilst it is a little fiddly to remove the cluster to change the bulb, actually changing the bulb is very easy. I bought my replacement bulb from BMW. Be aware that there are three different sizes of bulb used in the cluster.

For cluster removal see here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33125

For the bulbs used see here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35127

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Jeano-M

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Jeano-M »

Thanks Robert, my other half is going to take a look later. He is going to replace the broken seat belt guide as well soon.
Jeano-M

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Jeano-M »

Jeano-M wrote:Thanks Robert, my other half is going to take a look later. He is going to replace the broken seat belt guide as well soon.
Thanks for the links Robert with their guidance I did the job in 15 minutes, admitted I have just swapped the service lights bulb for the dud odo bulb until I can get over to the dealer in Shrewsbury but another 15 minutes will see the job done properly once I have the bulb.
The Other Half.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Jeano-M wrote:until I can get over to the dealer in Shrewsbury but another 15 minutes will see the job done properly once I have the bulb.
The Other Half.
I'm in Telford if you need your service lights resetting, no need to go to the dealer in Shrewsbury! And it won't cost you a penny, I probably have a spare bulb also :thumb:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Jeano-M

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Jeano-M »

Oops I have only just seen your post after giving the dealer a kidney in exchange for a tiny bulb and seat belt guide. Thanks for the offer but the service lights are fully lit up as it's just been serviced by someone trustworthy.
While at the dealers I read in the BMW mag that there is an owners club meeting at The Hamner Arms near Whitchurch on the 10th April. Does anyone off here go to these do's?

The other half (I am struggling with my own login)
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

No problem, I thought you needed to get the service lights reset as well. There are not a lot of meets on here and that is a BMW car club one which I don't think you get many zeds at especially around this area. If you want meets and cruises then you need to venture over to the other side :shock: There is a big cruise going on tomorrow around the Cotswolds. Where about's in Shropshire are you?
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Jeano-M

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Jeano-M »

We are in Market Drayton but have a son in Lawley Village. I think the weekend in Llandidrod Wells might be a goer for us and there is a monthly meet down near Northampton that looks interesting but it's on a Wednesday evening so would be more enjoyable as a midweek stop over. Hammer is not far from us so we may drive past to weigh the job up even if we don't go in.lol[/i]