replacement connectors for seat loom

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

replacement connectors for seat loom

Post by burmagirl »

Has anyone ever managed to obtain connectors to connect from the seat to the main harness, where the replacement seats are from a different year (1998) to the car (2001)? About 9 years ago I replaced my 2001 seats with heated sports seats from a 1998 Z3M. As the connectors were not compatible, I spliced them, soldering and taping the wires for the seat harness.

It's been fine but I've now run into the dreaded seat bush problem; I can't remember if there was room on the harness to bring the seats right out of the car, so I'd like to put compatible connectors on the harness and seat harness. I know I need to buy compatible or at least usable connectors and a tool to set the wires; out of 24 on the original connector, I think around 9 are used. Have you done this, or a similar mod? If so, did you use the BMW connector or a different one, and where did you get the tool to clamp the wires? I am hoping my OH might do the bushes (and the seat height motor, which seems to have stuck) but I know he's more likely to do so if taking the seats out is just a matter of unplugging a connector....

TIA

Sue