Illuminated gearstick replacement

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Illuminated gearstick replacement

Post by Rodent »

My illuminated gearstick is broken. The knob is loose and the wiring is broken. Under the gaiter it looks like the 2 wires have been taped together. I would like to get a new illuminated knob and wire it back up again. Is this tempting fate with the dash lights. I have read of problems with rheostats and interior lights. Can anyone advise if this is easy enough?
Thanks
SHRS2000

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Illuminated gearstick replacement

Post by SHRS2000 »

I replaced mine a few weeks ago. There should be two wires under the leather gaitor with a small(white I think) plug on the end. The new gear knob has a plug on the end of it's wires & they just plug together & push the new gear knob firmly in place. Done! Sounds as though you may have lost the plug on the gear gaitor side. BTW a new illuminated M Sport g/knob is about £94.00.
Rodent

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Rodent »

Thanks shrs2000,
The plug is missing from mine and the 2 wires have been spliced together. Is the gear knob just a push fit? The metal dhaft on mine has a slot in the top end but there are no fixing screws there, and my leather knob is loose.
Is that price £94 direct from bmw?
Thanks
PaulI

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by PaulI »

I think 96-98 cars had the plug, but not 99 on. Not 100% sure that its fact, but that's what I have found.