Oring in Water Hose

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Oring in Water Hose

Post by 4wheels »

My Z3 has a little water leak, it comes from the connector on the bottom of the header tank.
in my experience its the nitrile oring inside this connector that fails over time.
does anyone know how big it is so i can get one and fit it in the same day?

or... where i can get the pipe at a reasonable cost, being a 3.0 one, it looks to be a bit unusual and hard to find!
its a.... 11537505831 i believe!
zedzedthree

blank

Re: Oring in Water Hose

Post by zedzedthree »

My advice-order the hose complete now-if still available new.I decided at 18 years it is time to replace all my hoses as preventative measure and found that although the Rad hoses and 2 other smaller ones were available,2 at rear of engine to heater were not listed and furthermore several other dealers
confirmed that no sheet exists with the hoses/drawings/numbers.B.M.W technical support were hopeless and never responded to requests from two dealers.
Any half decent hydraulic supplier will have suitable O rings but these,it would seem,have never been supplied on their own by BMW.
Maybe I should accept that 4 out of 6 new hoses vastly reduces risk of future burst hoses.
FWIW,hoses that failed on other cars years ago showed no signs such as softness or hardness prior to failure.
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

grrr... the rad drain plug broke off whilst i was undoing it.. i literally just touched it... so it was bound to fail soon!
so had to take the rad out to get to it... but wow, comes out dead easy!
the big rad hoses look fine, but im going to see how much they are and replace them
4wheels

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by 4wheels »

having just inspected the orings.. they arent oring any more.. not wonder they fail.
3.63 in one direction, and 2.5 in the other.. it probably started life as a 3.5mm oring.
so after finding the hoses were £40 each im going to replace all the orings for about a pound!
ill do water pump too i think whilst its all in pieces.