new outer sills

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

new outer sills

Post by peter2b »

been looking at my z3 and the front of both sills a some what rustyon the front edge, any one got an idea how mutch new outer sill are complete with fitting as I'm some what out of action due being under going chemo at the moment
peterz3
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: new outer sills

Post by mrscalex »

The sills are about £130-£150 each from BMW.

Painting let's say £150.

And an hour of removing and refitting at £80.

So as a guide whole job between £500-£600.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Thread from last year one contributor reported sills from BMW at £110 in April 2017
viewtopic.php?t=45073#p415824
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

prices have gone up a bit labour at £550 parts £276 plus paint all told £1200 Inc vat that's from raybrooks shewsbury
peterz3
roadvoyager1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by roadvoyager1 »

I paid £132 each for pre-face lift outer sills in August 2017. This was with 10% discount from local BMW dealer (if member of any BMW club or forum just ask for the discount and you will most likely get it). I think narrow body sill are slightly cheaper.
I replaced all the fixing screws and washers with stainless steel, which cost around £5 from a local hardware supplier. I had them painted off the car and fitted them myself. Cost for painting sills and replacement front wings was £200 + VAT. Painting included the PVC stone chip protection on the underside face.
If the outer sill is showing rust it is very likely that the inner sill needs attention also. With the outer sill and jack pads removed, clean off all the rust and treat with anti-rust product; then apply Waxoyl, or similar, to the outer face and spray inside the box section with a wax type protection (I used Dinitrol ML, 2 cans purchased direct from them was just over £20).
Overall my materials and painting costs were about £520. If their price includes all of the inner sill work (which) it probably won't) then maybe it is realistic.
I understand you are not in a position to do the work yourself at present. Have you considered leaving it until the summer, when hopefully you will be feeling better, and taking the work on as a project. Nothing required is difficult and you stand to avoid paying out an additional £700 as well as have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.
I have photos of my refit if you would like me to post them.
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

cheers for the offer I was only doing a bit of research as it's only the front 10mm that's rusty on both sides ,I've treated ithe rusty bits with cure rust to hold it for the mament so hope fully in a few months time I should be able to do it my self with a bit of help
peterz3
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

peter2b wrote: Mon 05 Feb, 2018 11:08 prices have gone up a bit labour at £550 parts £276 plus paint all told £1200 Inc vat that's from raybrooks shewsbury
peterz3
That's a BMW dealer though. And I don't necessarily think they are better at putting paint on than a competent small bodyshop who would charge nearer the prices I mentioned.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

When I went to Rybrook in Shrewsbury for a quote for a front bumper respray they couldn't give me a straight answer. Saw a couple of different guys who said it wasn't their department and the third guy only gave me a rough price of £500. I sat down with him and asked if he could send me the quote over via email and some dates of when I could get it in. Never had a reply, all along I got the impression that they didn't want to do it as the zed is an old car and they are only interested in smart repairs on new vehicles.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

I think they try to price you out I could not belive the labour charge £504 for fitting 2 sills
peterz3
Ps I think I might have upset them as last year I had the £25 winter check on the report there was some work required being front discs and pads both front bottomwish bones when he gave me the list I said that's ok I can do the work my self
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I've never had a great experience there really, they only seem to want to know if your looking at buying a new car. They never seem interested when I mention my car is a Z3. I've stood around in there for ages before anyone will come to help me, maybe because I don't look as if I can afford a new BMW being younger than the average owner or by the way I dress?! I only give my business to Sopers or Cotswold BMW now unless I'm desperate.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal