Staw Poll, Need Your Advice M Gills

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster

M Gills on a normal Z (with the M removed!)?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 83

djrobbier

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djrobbier »

will do, it'll be a month or so before I fit it. I am sending my front bumper to be resprayed, so I will do the lot at the same time!
iananddebbie

Not specified

Do your own thing

Post by iananddebbie »

It's your car so do what the hell you like with it particularly where cosmetics are concerned. As it happens I'm considering moving my front number plate 1mm to the left and am not the slightest bit interested in what other people think. Life's too short so get out there and enjoy it!
AussieZ3

M roadster S54

Re: Do your own thing

Post by AussieZ3 »

iananddebbie wrote: Life's too short so get out there and enjoy it!
This is one of my favourite quotes.
Life is the longest thing any one of us will ever know!!
There is nothing we can do that's longer. 8-)

ps I think moving your plate 1mm to the left is a bad idea. It's going to completely ruin the look of your car. I'd seriously reconsider, the ramifications at resale could be disatrous. :!: :wink:
djrobbier

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Do your own thing

Post by djrobbier »

iananddebbie wrote: As it happens I'm considering moving my front number plate 1mm to the left and am not the slightest bit interested in what other people think.
my god! don't do that, the car will collapse! They are only held together with german elastic bands!

but in seriousness, yes it is my car, but I'm seeking an opinion on an option, and you lot are the best to ask as I was unsure!
iananddebbie

Not specified

Re:Do your own thing

Post by iananddebbie »

This number plate business is very simple. Incorporating a minor amount of offset to the left (as viewed from the front of the car) helps to generate a small vortex across the nearside of the bonnet. This, in turn, reduces the induced drag on that side of the car when travelling at speed. The benefit is to help the car to track staight and true on a cambered road.

I don't recommend the alternative of folding in the passenger's door mirror at speeds over 50mph. That may produce similar results but it's crude and dangerous because you're limiting your rear vision and, in any case, you may not have a passenger on board.

Obviously those who have to drive on the right will need to offset their numberplate to the right in order to benefit from this phenomenon.
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Seems ok, but only put these on an ///M. Please
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

Oxford_gruen_II wrote:Seems ok, but only put these on an ///M. Please
I'd have to disagree, i have seen these on a non ///M car (de-badged) and it gave the a car 50/60's retro look, which i thought looked excellent.
djrobbier

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djrobbier »

the debate still rages! That's not a bad price at all. Needless to say I have missed out on the gills now, doh! Never mind I have my AC Schnitzer stuff to put on now so that'll keep me busy!
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

djrobbier wrote:Never mind I have my AC Schnitzer stuff to put on now so that'll keep me busy!
ACS Front Splitters, now there's a superb addition.....

They make the front end look way more aggressive and suit the front skirt really well.
And they do actually serve a purpose too....
We all know that the Z3 is not the most perfect aerodynamic shape and many people complain that at motorway speeds, the front end can start to feel a bit 'light' and twitchy.
These splitters fix that problem for good. I don't reckon they make much difference below about 60mph, but above that, you will definitely notice that the front is more firmly planted and steering is more positive.

Get some pics up when yours are done.

Cheers!
A.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Alfie wrote:Don't want to be a spoil-sport, but....even with the ///M badge removed, you're still 'pinching' one of the strongest visual definitions of the ///M Roadster and putting it on a car that isn't.
I'm dubious. I have an ///M steering wheel and gear knob in my 1.9 (it came with them from new!), and I like them, but I like my gills just as they are - they have an element of subtlety about them and I like that.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
djrobbier

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djrobbier »

Alfie wrote:
djrobbier wrote:Never mind I have my AC Schnitzer stuff to put on now so that'll keep me busy!
ACS Front Splitters, now there's a superb addition.....

They make the front end look way more aggressive and suit the front skirt really well.
And they do actually serve a purpose too....
We all know that the Z3 is not the most perfect aerodynamic shape and many people complain that at motorway speeds, the front end can start to feel a bit 'light' and twitchy.
These splitters fix that problem for good. I don't reckon they make much difference below about 60mph, but above that, you will definitely notice that the front is more firmly planted and steering is more positive.

Get some pics up when yours are done.

Cheers!
A.
excellent pics! Looks really good, yeah will post up when done, probably some time in July.
bok

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by bok »

so what if the gills are for the ///M.

alot of people here have E46 M3 evo rims on their Z, does that make them posers? what about ///M steering wheel and gear knobs on the sport package Zeds? "so what if they came from the factory, your car still isn't an ///M." now how would you feel if someone told you that?

go get the gills and be happy
stussy

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by stussy »

I would love to post a picturem, but my photos are too large and it wont allow me to post them, :head:
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

bok wrote:so what if the gills are for the ///M.

alot of people here have E46 M3 evo rims on their Z, does that make them posers? what about ///M steering wheel and gear knobs on the sport package Zeds? "so what if they came from the factory, your car still isn't an ///M." now how would you feel if someone told you that?

go get the gills and be happy
I with him :!:
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

djrobbier

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djrobbier »

excellent stuff mate! i may well look to that very soon. make sure you give us a picture of your delicious Z3 with those awesome, awesome wheels and the gills! Me envyous!!
djrobbier

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djrobbier »

excellent stuff mate! i may well look to that very soon. make sure you give us a picture of your delicious Z3 with those awesome, awesome wheels and the gills! Me envyous!!
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

djrobbier wrote:excellent stuff mate! i may well look to that very soon. make sure you give us a picture of your delicious Z3 with those awesome, awesome wheels and the gills! Me envyous!!

As soon as i get them, i'll be getting our body shop to paint them and i'll fit them as soon as the paint is dry and post a pic, my wheels are off at the moment being refurbished so i'll do it all the same time.... :D
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Cool. Would like to see end result. :P

C
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Painting the M gills....

Post by Bestgear »

Guys....

Those of you who have painted and fitted M gills, did you paint that "insert" bit body colour, or go to the bother of masking up and spraying the insert black as it should be?

Masking up looks so fiddly - how did you find it? Did you get much paint leakage around the sides...?

Only asking...as I'm doing it next weekend!

DJ
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Painting the M gills....

Post by Devon Z »

DJBlack wrote:Guys....

Those of you who have painted and fitted M gills, did you paint that "insert" bit body colour, or go to the bother of masking up and spraying the insert black as it should be?

Masking up looks so fiddly - how did you find it? Did you get much paint leakage around the sides...?

Only asking...as I'm doing it next weekend!

DJ
I was'nt too much of a problem, painted the whole thing first then masked around the center, the tight corners are tricky and make sure the paint is well and truly dry else the tape can leave marks, then two or three coats of satin black, do them lightly that way you don't get too much paint build which can lead to bleeding under the masking tape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

...thanks...did you laquere over the base colour, or over the black too?
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

DJBlack wrote:...thanks...did you lacquer over the base colour, or over the black too?
Finished the base coat with lacquer and polished to finish, then did the satin black. Have fun and take your time, the problem I found was having to wait for things to dry properly before going on to the next stage.

Steve 8-)
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Bestgear

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by Bestgear »

...just to make you guys sick.... I got mine from Ebay... and a VERY lucky price :P :P

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26fvi%3D1

Luck of the draw I guess!!!

I have chrome ones on right now and will see what i prefer once they are painted up...

DJ
ChrisXL

M roadster S50

Post by ChrisXL »

Why open a poll on this?

If you want to place specific ///M body parts, go for it.
I've got an ///M and don't mind one bit if a non-///M has these parts. it0s your car and if you like the looks just do it, debadged or not.

We all know how an ///M is supposed to look like, there are so much more characteristics.
Member of Team Lauterbrunnen
http://www.fnbc.nl/
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Ooops.

Edited out.
djrobbier

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djrobbier »

DJBlack wrote:...just to make you guys sick.... I got mine from Ebay... and a VERY lucky price :P :P

I have chrome ones on right now and will see what i prefer once they are painted up...

DJ

46 quid!!!!!!!! My life. I lost out at 150! I shall keep guard for suitable bargains!
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

djrobbier wrote:
DJBlack wrote:...just to make you guys sick.... I got mine from Ebay... and a VERY lucky price :P :P

DJ

46 quid!!!!!!!! My life. I lost out at 150! I shall keep guard for suitable bargains!
other set here.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z3M-Z3-M-BONN ... dZViewItem

my new ones are being painted as i write this :D
djrobbier

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by djrobbier »

oakley6691 wrote:
djrobbier wrote:

DJ

other set here.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Z3M-Z3-M-BONN ... dZViewItem

my new ones are being painted as i write this :D
My beedy eyes are already watching and if my memory serves correct, the end date clashes with a semi final..... poss a low price here methinks!