Is it worth buying a hard top for the zed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Is it worth buying a hard top for the zed

Post by Craig. »

I am in the process of buying a zed and I am hoping that the one I buy comes with a hard top, but if it does'nt I was just wondering if it is worth paying the extra cash for one.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
flyingalexf68

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by flyingalexf68 »

I'd never buy one. I like driving with the roof down whenever I can, even on cold crisp mornings in winter. And I'm prety sure they're a pain to take off and store. Once the roof is in good nick (and kept in good nick) it won't leak so don't worry about that.
2001 Z3 2.2i
2000 530d Steptronic
2000 Nissan Patrol SWB Auto
Tourniquet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tourniquet »

a second hand hard top will set you back around £700 (extra if you need to get it resprayed), you would probably need to get a hardtop fixing kit as well which would set you back another couple of hundred (more if you get bmw to install it). it's a two person job to put it on or remove it.

I like the way it looks (that goes twofold for the hamaan version http://www.hamann-motorsport.com/index_start_en.php )
but the worst of winter hasn't made me rush out to find one.
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

Thanks to you both for the advice, its much appreciated.

The reason why I was thinking about getting one is because I live in sunny Wales where it never rains "I wish" and I thought it might help preserve the hood in the winter months.

But as you both have pointed out is sounds like a nightmare to put on and take off. Also you have the problem if your out and it is nice day and you fancy putting the hood down but you can't because you got the hard top on. And of course the cost of one and storing it when its not on the car.

Cheers once again for the advice.
R80TER

M roadster S50

Post by R80TER »

AJL wrote:I love the look of my hardtop 8-)

It is very easy to take off and put back on. Only thing is where to store it.

The extra warmth it provides and noise reduction is well worth it for the winter months
buy a vectra then you big gay! ;-)
Now Car less :-(
AJL

blank.gif

Post by AJL »

I love the look of my hardtop 8-)

The extra warmth it provides and noise reduction is well worth it for the winter months
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

If you buy a facelifted model (1999-on) you'll get an multi layered insulated roof which means its pretty quieter and also (in theory) warmer in winter compared to the single canvas of the earlier models.
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

That's a good point, I think I need to weight up the positives and negatives.

Cheers AJL for your advice its much appreciated.
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

I didn't know they had different hoods after 1999, it could be an option to buy a zed 1999 onwards

Cheers c_w for that information
AJL

blank.gif

Post by AJL »

R80TER wrote:
AJL wrote:I love the look of my hardtop 8-)

buy a vectra then you big gay! ;-)
Behave!

You would not understand! You have your roof down in snow and -5c!
R80TER

M roadster S50

Post by R80TER »

AJL wrote:
Behave!

You would not understand! You have your roof down in snow and -5c!
Thats cos i'm ard!!
Now Car less :-(
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Hi Craig.

For me the formula is simple:
If you use your Zed as an everyday car over winter, then the expense of a hard top is probably justified. It makes life just a little bit more comfortable on those miserable February Monday mornings.

If you don't intend to use it every day, then save your cash for some other more exciting additions.... :idea:

I have a hard top for RED, but probably will never use it.
I don't have a hard top for my daily 323i cab, but I'm thinking of getting one.

The worst thing about a hard top is where to store it.

A.
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

I think especially if you have the massive powerplant from the M, that a hardtop for "temperature" reasons shouldn't be a factor. From cold, my heaters could roast a pig within 2 minutes.
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Hardtops are definitley useful. The amount of reduction you get in noise level is unbelievable. I have a 2001 model with the double skinned hood which is better than the single layered ones but even that is nothing compared to the noise reduction you get with the hardtop. It also looks very cool with the hardtop.

On the down side, storage is def a problem. Also taking it off and putting it back on is a 2 person job and of course there is the odd nice days in winter when you'd liek to have the roof down but you can't!

A/c

Post by Guest »

As Paul says, there is a lot of natural heat soak in a Zed, particularly the larger engined versions. Add to that the sun (I hear you do see it sometimes in the UK!) and you have a pretty good reason to only buy a hardtop car if it also has air conditioning.

I wouldn't like to buy a roadster without it, and although it may seem odd to use the AC with the top down, it transforms one's comfort on a hot European summer day.

It's also a wonderful way to get demisting without heating the interior.

Hardtops must add a new dimension to the car, particularly from the point of view of noise levels, but are best used in cars with AC.

I regard AC as being far more useful than hardtops.
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

Thanks Mike Fishwick, Paul.Stuhlfelder and Alfie for your advice.

My Zed will probably be used nearly everyday but I haven't ruled out just using it as a second car and keeping my current car for work.

As you all probably know what the weather is like in Wales, so if I going to use it regularly basis it is probably worth investing in a hardtop.

As what Mike mentioned about A/C I totally agree, I would want to have a/c more than any other accessory on my zed but what I am finding is that is difficult to find a zed with a/c, I assume it was an expensive optional extra to have.

Do any of you know if the heated electric seats are standard on all zeds?

Cheers
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

Also thanks BimBeema for your advice.

Yeah your right I can imagine storage is a problem because a hardtop is probably pretty big.
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

No, the heated seats are an optional extra.

Whereabouts in wales are ya?
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I have a hardtop for mine and it goes on for the coldest months. The main benefit is the heated rear screen, but it also offers added security and a bit of warmth. Makes me appreciate having the top down just as soon as it fairs up for 5mins! I'll admit storage is a pain - the dealer I bought it from used to store it for me - now it goes in father-in-law's garage.
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

Cheers Paul

I live in a town called Ammanford in Carmarthenshire.

How long you lived in Caernarfon, I bet there is lovely roads up by you to take the zed out for a cruise.
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

Craig. wrote:Cheers Paul

I live in a town called Ammanford in Carmarthenshire.
You live about 20 minutes drive from me. I did my driving test in ammanford
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

I am sure it is really useful in the winter months and as you say gives car a bit more security in the winter months.

That's pretty good that the dealer stored it for you as I can imagine it is a bit of a nightmare storing it.

Cheers Robert
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

Craig. wrote:Small world ain't it whereabouts do you live?

It's in a small Village called Abercrave, it's about 15 mile from Swansea towards Brecon, but Ammanford to here is through the Brynnaman road (where i was born).
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

Small world ain't it whereabouts do you live?
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

Craig. wrote:I've never been to Abercrave but I bet it has some nice roads to take the zed out for a spin, by the way your zed looks superb and I love the colour.

Thank you very much for your comments, the roads are great from here up and around the Brecon Beacons....you should try them
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

I've never been to Abercrave but I bet it has some nice roads to take the zed out for a spin, by the way your zed looks superb and I love the colour.
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

oakley6691 wrote:the roads are great from here up and around the Brecon Beacons....you should try them
:P Oh we have done.... :P brilliant roads....
Return trip promised if I get the time...

garyw
Last edited by garyw on Mon 12 Jun, 2006 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

I sure will when I get my zed, can't wait
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

Brilliant, can't wait to get my zed
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

In a word - "yes."
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
discoz3

blank.gif

Post by discoz3 »

Craig. wrote:Brilliant, can't wait to get my zed
Craig,

Once you get your first 'taste' of the running costs, I.E. servicing, fuel, tyres, mod's etc...

You will no longer desire a hard top :squeeze:

:idea: For now
Craig.

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Craig. »

I sure your right, once my wallet starts feeling the pain.

The only reason I was thinking of getting one was to protect the roof in winter but I am not to sure as there are mixed feeling about them here, so once I bought my car I will see how things go.

Cheers for the advice discoz3
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

As with most replies on here, I would say def get a hardtop. I use my zed as an everyday car to and from work etc.. I bought it a few months ago from a fellow member on here, and only had it on a few days but the noise reduction and extra warmth makes such a difference.

I love having the roof down, main reason of getting a soft top in the first place, but at the same time, I can't wait for the winter to come so I can put the hardtop back on! I haven't had it sprayed yet, will do it when I need it done for the winter, but even in a different colour I think it looks great! It changes the whole shape of the car, and gives it a completly different feel to it..

Second hand ones are not that expensive, they are well worth the money I think.. (if you use the car alot).. but yes, the main problem is storage.. I don't have a garage, so I am trying to sweet talk my dad to let me leave it in his! ha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Craig. wrote:....once my wallet starts feeling the pain.
Nonsense.
The Z3 is not an expensive car to run considering it's a BMW sports car.
If you drive 'sensibly', 30 mpg and higher is possible from all but the ///M models.
If you shop around, servicing, tyres, etc. will cost little more than yer average 3 series.
And the cost of mods is entirely up to you!
SuzyZ3 wrote:....I can't wait for the winter to come so I can put the hardtop back on!
:shock:

Blimey!
You don't read that on here very often!

A.
Runroadster

Z3 roadster 2.8

hard top

Post by Runroadster »

Yes the hard top is brilliant for the winter and looks cool, it's got a heated rear screen which gives better rear view than the window in the soft top. You'll need space to store it. if you have a garage that you can drive the car into get yourself a hoist. makes it easier to put on and take off. Oh and a fitting kit. Quite easy to fit though.
The beautiful thing about learning, is no one can take it away from you. Tony & Reet.
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

SuzyZ3 wrote:....I can't wait for the winter to come so I can put the hardtop back on!
:shock:

Blimey!
You don't read that on here very often!

A.[/quote]

Well, only had the hardtop on for a few days after I bought it as it straight away came off for storage til the winter.. so I guess I am looking forward to putting back on due the novelty of it! I am sure with all things, the novelty will quickly wear off! ha I can't wait to see what it will look like once its sprayed to match the car! Roll on winter! ha (just kidding - before I get any arrogent remarks about 'why buy a soft top if you just want a hardtop bla bla bla BORING!

:colourful:
flyingalexf68

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by flyingalexf68 »

Hey Suzy, have you looked at the Citroen C3 Pluriel? Sounds right up you street. :mrgreen:

http://www.citroen.co.uk/level3/modelpa ... pe=pluriel
2001 Z3 2.2i
2000 530d Steptronic
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

"“aluminium” pack that enhances many exterior details, you surely will not go unnoticed! "

God forbid. That is hideous! :head:
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

flyingalexf68 wrote:Hey Suzy, have you looked at the Citroen C3 Pluriel? Sounds right up you street. :mrgreen:

Hmm... that looks lovely.... To be honest, being a girl, I am not sure I could handle the power.... it looks far too racey for a girl.. I will stick with the hairdressers/poofs car... much slower and safe for a girl.. don't you think? :roll:

:D

I am off to put my ear plugs in now!! haha!!

All tongue in cheek before anyone starts throwing thier toys out of their prams... :wink:
flyingalexf68

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by flyingalexf68 »

SuzyZ3 wrote:
flyingalexf68 wrote:Hey Suzy, have you looked at the Citroen C3 Pluriel? Sounds right up you street. :mrgreen:

Hmm... that looks lovely.... To be honest, being a girl, I am not sure I could handle the power.... it looks far too racey for a girl.. I will stick with the hairdressers/poofs car... much slower and safe for a girl.. don't you think? :roll:

:D

I am off to put my ear plugs in now!! haha!!

All tongue in cheek before anyone starts throwing thier toys out of their prams... :wink:
Did you hear that BMW are going to put the 1.6 litre engine from the Mini into the Z4 to increase sales. It's aimed at women who just want the car to pose and are not bothered about performance. According to their research 87% of women are put off by the high fuel and insurance costs They're forcasting a 25% increase in sales. More at www.bullsh1t.com
2001 Z3 2.2i
2000 530d Steptronic
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

I am not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing.. It would be like putting a 1litre 50bhp engine in a Ferrari Enzo just so porpers could insure it!??! and feel safe/allowed to drive it?!? Point!? :roll:

The majority of female drivers just want a car to pose in, and are not bothered about the performance. 80% of female drivers irritate the **** out of me..However, there are also the minority of us that are not the typical 'women drivers'.. and I beleive all the girls on here are in that minority. I don't see the point in a car looking good if it doesn't peform. I drive my zed as a run around to and from work, and it looks good, and performs to a certain degree for what is required of it in the traffic about town! We have 2 racing cars for our performance/addrenaline needs! and I love it! Vroom vrooom!!!! :)
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

I wouldn't bother with a Hardtop, I find the car to be plenty warm during the winter and the days you can drop the roof in the winter are always good days :D I would save the money to get a new soft top for when I wear the current one out instead :idea:
John Boy
2.8 Z3
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Depending upon whether you have a Z with a double skinned top, you will probably get different answers about how much difference a hardtop makes. Mine doesn't and with the hardtop on it is much much warmer.

It will also make a difference if you keep the car in a garage - if you don't it's gonna be much colder to start with! Although I keep mine undercover, and it never gets iced up, it is still open to the elements and so is bl**dy freezing when you get in. The hardtop keeps it warmer to start with and the car warms up quicker with it on.

I bought my hardtop new for my Z's second winter and have had 5 snug winters since. Yes, it's a PIA to take off and store, but it transforms the car.

So on older Z's, from my experience, I would say it is definitely worth it.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
flyingalexf68

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by flyingalexf68 »

Here's what all you Mary's need. Too cold in the morning?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E36- ... enameZWD2V
2001 Z3 2.2i
2000 530d Steptronic
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

FWIW I have the older roof and the car is kept outside. I do not find the Z3 to be any colder than our other car in the winter mornings and with heaters on, it warms up PDQ.

Maybe it's just the warm ass from the seat heaters that helps? :D
John Boy
2.8 Z3
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I don't have seat heaters :cry:

They are good though - I had them on a Volvo in Sweden in December - I had to wear a ski jacket over my suit it was so cold - but I did have a nice warm bum - a very odd sensation!

I also live in the cold, dark, North :wink:
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
cngizbleevng

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: hard top

Post by cngizbleevng »

Runroadster wrote:Yes the hard top is brilliant for the winter and looks cool, it's got a heated rear screen which gives better rear view than the window in the soft top. You'll need space to store it. if you have a garage that you can drive the car into get yourself a hoist. makes it easier to put on and take off. Oh and a fitting kit. Quite easy to fit though.
With the hoist, do you leave the hardtop suspended in the air over the car for storage, or do you just use the hoist to remove and swing the top away from the car?