The M is really flying at the moment...

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

The M is really flying at the moment...

Post by SpunkyM »

Ok, at first i thought it was just my imagination but now I'm convinced - ever since the track day at Croft the other weekend, the car has been feeling absolutely ballistic :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if it's connected to my first tank of V Power that I put in on the way back from the circuit (was running Tesco 99 before that) but there is definitely a much more pronounced shove in the back at around 5K rpm compared to before. Feels like the VANOS is much more active, the tacho really flies round to 7K with renewed vigour.

Maybe these cars need a good thrashing to optimise the map for the higher octane fuel to get the most out of it. Anyway, I'm not complaining - feels awesome :twisted:
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
Lee

M coupe S52

Re: The M is really flying at the moment...

Post by Lee »

SpunkyM wrote:Ok, at first i thought it was just my imagination but now I'm convinced - ever since the track day at Croft the other weekend, the car has been feeling absolutely ballistic :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if it's connected to my first tank of V Power that I put in on the way back from the circuit (was running Tesco 99 before that) but there is definitely a much more pronounced shove in the back at around 5K rpm compared to before. Feels like the VANOS is much more active, the tacho really flies round to 7K with renewed vigour.

Maybe these cars need a good thrashing to optimise the map for the higher octane fuel to get the most out of it. Anyway, I'm not complaining - feels awesome :twisted:
the V Power has definitely worked for me! I now will not use anything else!

I had a colleague in the car today and he said 'this car feels quicker everytime I get in it' he drives a 911 so he is not a stranger to fast cars either :D
Estoril2000 M Coupe,KWv3suspension,H&R ARB's,Eibach Adj top mounts,Carbon Strut,BBS LM, 3.64LSD,L/W Flywheel&M5 clutch,Supersprint with decat, Brembo calipers&CSL discs,Recaro PolePositions, Hamann Spoiler, Schnitzer Splitters,pedals&handbrake
maahny

M coupe S50

Post by maahny »

The same thing happened to me after my first track day in the MC. The car didn't used to spin its wheels in second gear in the dry but does now. Even sounded slightly different.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

My tank is due a fill. Where do I get V Power from? :dunce:
I fancy the sound of wheels spinning in second gear :twisted:
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

It's the replacement for Optimax as well as 1 point up on the octane rating, so available from most Shell garages.
The car didn't used to spin its wheels in second gear in the dry but does now
... I'm surprised. I can only just break traction in 1st gear in the dry in a straight line with warm tyres. In 2nd it just grips resolutely and fires me off into the horizon :mrgreen:

What tyres are you running?
skinny

M roadster S50

Post by skinny »

mine too doesn't spin up in 2nd in a straight line, if i come out a corner and swing it a bit then it will, but not 1st to 2nd? :( , i'm running Avon's?
board

M roadster S52

Post by board »

My goodyear f1's squeak when dropping the clutch in second. I wouldn't say they were spinning as such. It also depends on the road surface for me.

I have video from Bruntingthorpe back when we did some runs for Performance BMW mag which shows it
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Filled up with V Power today and yikes its suddenly turned into a quick car! Its really noticeable in 3rd and 4th where it seems to pull a lot harder. Couldnt get the wheels to spin in second though despite trying my best :twisted:
I was running 95 RON for the last 2 tanks since my local garage has nothing else - never again!
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Yella

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Yella »

Deano1712 wrote:Filled up with V Power today and yikes its suddenly turned into a quick car! Its really noticeable in 3rd and 4th where it seems to pull a lot harder. Couldnt get the wheels to spin in second though despite trying my best :twisted:
I was running 95 RON for the last 2 tanks since my local garage has nothing else - never again!
:lol: No wonder you felt a mighty boost going from crappy 95ron to V Power. I also think giving your car a good blast clears any build ups that might of occured due to slow small trips.
God gave me Taste, BMW made the Z3. It's not a girls car, It's a Mans car in Drag !!

95-98

Post by Guest »

According the BMW, there is a 40 bhp difference on an S50 when going from 98 to 95 octane. As Teutonic fuels are usually better than those in the UK, the difference is probably greater still.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The sticker on the dash over the fuel gauge says 98RON fuel minimum so in theory it shouldn't run so well on regular 95.
Rags

M coupe S50

Post by Rags »

a 40bhp drop :lol:
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

A blast round a track will clear all sorts out of the engine , but the v-power does seem to work
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

AMEN FOR VPOWER... I've used it regularly when on holidays in Greece and it's darn good!!! Heck, it even makes my parents' old corolla 1.3 go!!

You SHOULD try out the V-Power Racing edition if you get a chance (100RON), although I haven't seen it anywhere else in Europe apart from Greece. Mega-expensive fuel but the difference is simply amazing over plain V-Power.

On the subject of fuel in Greece, I think this country has become a testbed for many of Shell's products as they seem to be rolled out there first. They also have V-Power Diesel, which contains the same engine treatment chemicals as V-Power Petrol but is 100% synthetic (Gas-To-Liquid), as opposed to traditionally distilled single malt diesel :) Impressive technology.. and helped Audi's R10 win the 24Hr LeMans...

I'm just back from my hols in the Z and working my way through about 1,000,000 new posts since I left, but I promise to post some nice pics for you soon :)
wwwwOOOff!!!
don.juan

M coupe S54

Post by don.juan »

komis wrote:AMEN FOR VPOWER... I've used it regularly when on holidays in Greece and it's darn good!!! Heck, it even makes my parents' old corolla 1.3 go!!

You SHOULD try out the V-Power Racing edition if you get a chance (100RON), although I haven't seen it anywhere else in Europe apart from Greece. Mega-expensive fuel but the difference is simply amazing over plain V-Power.

On the subject of fuel in Greece, I think this country has become a testbed for many of Shell's products as they seem to be rolled out there first. They also have V-Power Diesel, which contains the same engine treatment chemicals as V-Power Petrol but is 100% synthetic (Gas-To-Liquid), as opposed to traditionally distilled single malt diesel :) Impressive technology.. and helped Audi's R10 win the 24Hr LeMans...

I'm just back from my hols in the Z and working my way through about 1,000,000 new posts since I left, but I promise to post some nice pics for you soon :)
Hi,

Here in Portugal we have BP Utimate, so it's form BP, not form Shell...we had Shell V-Power before, but now Repsol took over Shell here...anyway, BP has Ultimate for Diesel and Petrol (100RON). I drive a Diesel (TDi) and it makes a diference in delivery, also lower noise and emissions and beter MPG. Also from talking to petrol owners, cars with high compression ratio,,,(Ms, Type-Rs, S2000, etc) benefit a lot from 100RON
jamiedave1986

M roadster S52

Post by jamiedave1986 »

Iv been following this post and today i filled up with Vpower! I let the tank get pretty low then maxed it!! I could feel the difference almost straight away its awesome plenty of wheel spin all the way home, even got a squeek droppin it from 4th to 3rd Wicked thanx for the advice!!
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

I noticed an improvement in torque when I filled up with Tescos 99 as compared to Optimax.
I haven't noticed any difference between Tescos 99 & V Power.
They are both excellent fuels & after all are both 99. Shell had to bring out something to compete with Tescos 99. If they hadn't, then I for one would never have bothered to fill up at a Shell garage again. As it is I think Tescos 99 is cheaper, so that is my preferred choice, all things being equal performance wise.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Tesco's are (or were) running a 5p off a litre scheme if you spend over £50 in store. I've had a couple of vouchers now, and I've yet to find a pump that dispenses the mythical Tesco's 99 Juice. It is also fun finding a Tesco with a petrol station attached - the store I use doesn't so it's a few miles drive to one that does! Last time it was so busy I just had to go to the first available pump, so she's running on 97 RON super at the moment. However, with 5p off a litre, that was still cheaper than going to a nearer petrol station and filling up with say ordinary unleaded. If you shop at Tesco, then that extra crate of beer could save you some at the pump! :D Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Tesco 99RON is only available in the South unfortunately.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

c_w wrote:Tesco 99RON is only available in the South unfortunately.
That's locationist! :evil: And I've already moved south once! :roll:
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

Nah, it's definitely up here in Yorkshire (Tesco Superstore, Seacroft, Leeds)
paulg

Porsche

Post by paulg »

I went in fill up at BP (Southgate, N London) and pulled up by the ultimate pump to realise that it was ultimate 102, needs a PIN, and costs £2.42 a litre! Promptly moved to the ordinary ultimate pump.
It's only available at very few sites, and is aimed at track day cars, tuned cars, etc.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

SpunkyM wrote:
Nah, it's definitely up here in Yorkshire (Tesco Superstore, Seacroft, Leeds)
Ah maybe it's spread more north now, just that when it was released it was only available at selected stores in the south. I've certainly never seen it near to me.
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

It was originally in the south, but now seems to have moved to some of the larger stores up in the North. I can get it at Bangor, but then I should, seems as its one of Tesco's 5 flagship Extra stores!
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!
paulio81

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by paulio81 »

must just be me but i cant notice any difference with v-power, still feels like i get poor mileage for my money £40 = 240 miles :cry: , but im only on the 3rd tankful so ill give it chance. :rtm:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Here's a list of all the Tesco stores that have the 99 Octane Super Unleaded. It is supplied by a company called Geenergy. It appears my nearest is either Crewe or Wigan! :bawl:
Shraz

M coupe S50

Post by Shraz »

Nice, my town has one. I'll give that a try.
Greenbat

M coupe S50

Post by Greenbat »

Robert T wrote:Here's a list of all the Tesco stores that have the 99 Octane Super Unleaded. It is supplied by a company called Geenergy. It appears my nearest is either Crewe or Wigan! :bawl:
Where are you based Mr T, I live in Chester which is between Crewe and Wigan and they have 99 Octane.

Kyeikofi
Zed_Steve

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zed_Steve »

My 2.8 is running very nicely at present. Seems quite torquey, and pulls very smoothly at the moment :D I wondered if this was down to the V Power fuel i put in, or the cooler conditions.

Whatever the reason im very happy with how its running.

Oh, and the recent re map i had done on it has made a nice difference too :twisted: :lol:
Rags

M coupe S50

Post by Rags »

paulg wrote:I went in fill up at BP (Southgate, N London) and pulled up by the ultimate pump to realise that it was ultimate 102, needs a PIN, and costs £2.42 a litre! Promptly moved to the ordinary ultimate pump.
It's only available at very few sites, and is aimed at track day cars, tuned cars, etc.
The one opposite the Asda?
Robin

M roadster S50

The cool air or V power ?

Post by Robin »

I've noticed my ///M seems to be going very well lately.
I seem to be getting that extra bit of shove in the back you speak of Spunky.
The hesitation that can sometimes occurr for a second or two just after putting one's foot down, seems absent. Perhaps the EMU is able to advance the timing further, as I know pinking is less likely to occurr with the seasonally cooler air, or maybe it's because the cooler air is denser. Either way, it really seems like it's on song. I think maybe I'll revert to Tescos 99 at the next fill up to see if any adverse effect. That way I'll know if the extra bit of shove is down to the V power.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
paulg

Porsche

Post by paulg »

Rags-

yes.