Drive shaft problem

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
tuxman

M roadster S50

Drive shaft problem

Post by tuxman »

had the wheels off the roaster last weekened and i noticed the paint covering on the driver's side drive shaft was all peeling off and it is going rusty,could this cause a problem long term or is it pretty normal ? was thinking i could clean it up and paint it ? if it is a issue.

Paint

Post by Guest »

The paint on the driveshafts is usually about the best quality under the car, but for goodness sake, why bother asking when you can use your common sense!

If it worries you - and most people do not care what happens under the car, unfortunately - then remove the rust with a wire brush and/or a rust remover such as Jenolyte, then prime the bare steel, and paint it. Look at Finnegan's Red Oxide Primer and black Smootherite.

Re: Paint

Post by Guest »

Mike Fishwick wrote:The paint on the driveshafts is usually about the best quality under the car, but for goodness sake, why bother asking when you can use your common sense!
Mike,

Why even bother answering then if you can't be civil :roll: Not everyone knows as much as you do, so how about giving people a break when they politely ask a a question eh?

Tuxman,

Pay no attention to Mike, your question is perfectly valid.

I have no idea how common your problem is, but I can say I have not seen it on either of my Zs. I suspect someone had grounded it in the past or a stone has chipped the paint. Either way, I think the drive-shaft will still last longer than the rest of the car. The drive-shafts on my old Ford have been rusty for years and show no signs of weakness. My old 1968 Triumph Vitesse was rusty all over, including the drive-shafts and they worked just fine.

There is no harm making it look nice with a quick rub down and a spray though.

Si.
tuxman

M roadster S50

Post by tuxman »

Thanks for the replies guys i do appreciate them all good and bad ,mike we have only owned the zed for a 4 weeks and there is a list of jobs to do ,i am trying to put that list in some sort of order most urgent first ect was not sure if the drive shaft problem was a high or low priority ,but it would seem its not urgent which is good news .
In fairness to myself most of my common sense is occupied with preparing my show winning Ultima for the first show of the year but i will try and use it a bit more !!!!!
Si ,thanks for the support your car looks awesome !!!! Simon

Civil

Post by Guest »

I WAS being civil - you want to see me when I'm rude!

I was merely pointing out that it is not really necessary to ask a question such as this - anyone could decide if to leave the driveshaft to rust, or do something about it. I even suggested what paint to use - is that not civil?

A question such as 'What paint should I use on a rusty driveshaft' would be a different thing, but those such as this always amuse me, as the writer must really know the answer anyway, unless they are BMWCC worthies who are afraid to spoil the originality of their car . . .
tuxman

M roadster S50

Post by tuxman »

As i pointed out Mike we have a list of jobs to do and i was just trying to work out if the driveshaft issue could turn into a big problem yes i am aware that re-painting the driveshaft could fix the problem but not having seen a rusty driveshaft before i was a bit concerned thats all .
hornie

M roadster S50

manners

Post by hornie »

hello all - the M Roadster tuxman is talking about is my new baby and as he points out we are trying to get a feel for common or critical problems - hence joining the forum for advice and opinons good or bad.

Wow - some people really have no manners.

On a similar note; I have seen a variety of Z3s our and about now that I've been on the road with mine, and have yet to see any one of of those drivers smile or respond to me in mine.

What's going on?

I drive about with a permanent grin on my face wanting to wave enthusiastically - but given the expression feel like that is entirely an uncool thing to do.

Please tell me that I've been driving in a parallel universe and that your are all a friendly enthusiastic bunch?
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: manners

Post by mich »

hornie wrote:
On a similar note; I have seen a variety of Z3s our and about now that I've been on the road with mine, and have yet to see any one of of those drivers smile or respond to me in mine.

What's going on?

I drive about with a permanent grin on my face
You are probably going too fast for them to see you, and the grin may be mistaken for insanity :lol: :lol:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

hornie wrote: I have seen a variety of Z3s our and about now that I've been on the road with mine, and have yet to see any one of of those drivers smile or respond to me in mine.

What's going on?

I drive about with a permanent grin on my face wanting to wave enthusiastically - but given the expression feel like that is entirely an uncool thing to do.

Please tell me that I've been driving in a parallel universe and that your are all a friendly enthusiastic bunch?
Most people do spot other Zeds, it appears to me that it may be a little late to wave smile grin when the other car is almost upon you.....Flash from a distance first, that should help :wink:

Friendly???? Enthusiastic?????..........................Of course we are :wink:

And to keep on topic...................The paint on the driveshafts can wait a while.

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

hornie wrote: On a similar note; I have seen a variety of Z3s our and about now that I've been on the road with mine, and have yet to see any one of of those drivers smile or respond to me in mine.

What's going on?
Off Topic as well...........In the real world to most people a Z Roadster is just another BMW car to go from A to B in, there are so many on the road it is just another car, that's why you will not get much response from them. its not quite got into the MGB enthusiasm type group yet. There are many Z's in my area I've never once been acknowledged as another owner in over 5 years. This site is for people interested in Z's so the views will be different to those of the average Z driver.
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

hornie wrote:On a similar note; I have seen a variety of Z3s our and about now that I've been on the road with mine, and have yet to see any one of of those drivers smile or respond to me in mine.

What's going on?

phew, not just me. i think it may be that those who dont rev the engine don't smile. when i do, the harder i push that accelerator, the bigger the smile on my face. plus with the hood down, and the burble from the exhaust, it is impossible to not smile. the straight 6 in these beauties is awe inspiring imho (ok true its the first s-6 but i've only just got her and still in honeymoon period :oops: )

i do hope you enjoy your new car, treat her well and she'll do the same in kind

but on topic, if it were mine, id scrub it down and repaint it. better safe than sorry
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
tuxman

M roadster S50

Post by tuxman »

Thanks for the replies guys , will paint the driveshafts next week when we have the "M" over the pit, been along day took the ultima to a big show had a convoy of 12 ultimas in a line on the M40 was a sight to see and hear ,so far "M" jobs are : new frony tyres,insp 1 service ,underbody clean .....PAINT DRIVESHAFT !!! refurbish wheels , new exhaust ....too quiet !!!!!! new dampers and full brake overhaul .....by then it will be winter !!!!!
hornie

M roadster S50

Post by hornie »

:oops: add replace rear window to the list (tho not urgent).

Thanks for the comments folks - that's a releif, i'll still keeping waving then, everyone else will have to put up with the mad woman behind the wheel :D
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

You tend to find that the vast majority of members on this forum are enthusiasts and as such their Z is more than just another car to them. Most of us wave and flash at another Z at the earliest opportunity :oops:

Unfortunately there are quite a lot of other Z drivers around who don't bother to hunt out a forum or involve themselves in the ownership experience. They are the ones who give you a funny look when you go past with all arms flaying and full beam on :D

Keep waving 8-)
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster