Which service is big one insp 1 or 2 ??

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
tuxman

M roadster S50

Which service is big one insp 1 or 2 ??

Post by tuxman »

our z3m is ready for a inspection 1 service, we have been quoted over £600 from our main dealer and £480 from a indy but i think thats alot considering we have been told insp 2 is the big one ??? any thoughts guys .
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Inspection 2 is the big one. We were quoted over £800 from our main dealer but we took it to an indy who charged half that including new rear brake pads.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well according to my what is done when in the knowledge base, both Insp I and Insp II include an inspection and adjustment of the valve clearances, which is the expensive bit of servicing an ///M and must be done with the engine cold, so you should be asked to bring the car in the day before if they know what they are doing.

The Insp II also includes replacing oil in the diff, new plugs and new air filter element.

For non-///M owners, the Inspections aren't that much more than an oil service.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

My god - £800. I think I need to set up a business servicing M's. I do all the insp 1's and 2's myself and it really is pretty simple stuff AND I know it's been done right. After all my experiences with garages, I just don't trust any of them any more.

The most involved part is certainly the valve clearances, but it's still pretty basic stuff and they are fairly unlikely to need adjustment. Fluids, filters and spark plugs are about as basic as you can get and no different to any other car in principle.
Sapphire Black 02 S54 M Roadster
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

SpunkyM wrote:My god - £800. I think I need to set up a business servicing M's. I do all the insp 1's and 2's myself and it really is pretty simple stuff AND I know it's been done right. After all my experiences with garages, I just don't trust any of them any more.

The most involved part is certainly the valve clearances, but it's still pretty basic stuff and they are fairly unlikely to need adjustment. Fluids, filters and spark plugs are about as basic as you can get and no different to any other car in principle.
Do you download the OBD or just reset it?
Pingu
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'download the OBD', if you are referring to reading any fault codes stored then yes I do this from time to time just out of interest really, but unless your car is running poor or your have an engine light on, there is no need to.

The service indicator is very easy to reset with the basic Draper tool, available everywhere, but I would take a very dim view of 'lazy' owners just changing, the engine oil for example and resetting the service indicator. If you are going to reset the indicator, then do what's recommended by BMW in terms of the inspections / oil services. It doesn't pay to take shortcuts with these cars, and you should do it for your own piece of mind if nothing else.

That's why I always keep receipts for everything - in my mind it's critical that any new owner see's that the car has been well looked after and as long as you have the evidence to prove it, an enthusiast maintained car is every bit as good as one with a FBMW service history... probably better.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

SpunkyM wrote:That's why I always keep receipts for everything - in my mind it's critical that any new owner see's that the car has been well looked after and as long as you have the evidence to prove it, an enthusiast maintained car is every bit as good as one with a FBMW service history... probably better.
100% agree. I'd rather buy a car from an enthusiast who does their own servicing and repairs. I'd check the car thoroughly to confirm the standard of repair, though.

Having worked in the trade I've seen loads of shortcuts taken. We ran a very generous bonus scheme, but the fitters still took shortcuts (it's only human nature). I dread to think how many shortcuts are taken when there are only 61FRUs (just over 5 hrs) to do an Insp2 on an ///M.

What tool do you use to download the fault codes?
Pingu
SpunkyM

M roadster S54

Post by SpunkyM »

It's an ELM327 derivative with Scantool software. Scantool is OK for free but it can't do live graphing or store data. I'm just about to go for this software called digomoto V5 (www.digimoto.com), you can see some screenshots here... http://www.digimoto.com/forum/shwmessag ... ageID=3018

..not bad at about £25 for the software only. Complete diagnostic kit is £90 IIRC.