Smaller Steering Wheel?

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Andrew330Ci

blank.gif

Smaller Steering Wheel?

Post by Andrew330Ci »

Hi there Guys,

I have got myself a lovely knee injury now and the fact I have to twist my knee bringing the clutch up makes it worse.

Has anyone put a smaller aftermarket steering wheel in their car? Does anyone know where I can get this done. I wanted to sell it but I have spent so much its killing me!

I know I will probably loose the airbag but need to know who would do this for me?

Thanks Guys

Andrew
IOMRoadster

M roadster S50

Post by IOMRoadster »

If you want to keep your airbag... and you do... the only option that I'm aware of is RAID. They're big in the Porsche world.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RaidPerformanc ... idZ2QQtZkm[/quote]
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

i liked the look of the all black leather wheel, but when i go to http://www.raidhp.co.uk/ it says fitment is not for Z3's, only MR/MC or Z3 coupe (2.8)

i know i have an ///M steering wheel as part of the OEM kit on my car, is that compatable? There's a note saying:
not for cars with 2-steps-inflator (e.g. Z3, E39, M Coupé) modul with fixed 4-wire harness only visible after removal of the steering wheel.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Justin Time wrote:i liked the look of the all black leather wheel, but when i go to http://www.raidhp.co.uk/ it says fitment is not for Z3's, only MR/MC or Z3 coupe (2.8)

i know i have an ///M steering wheel as part of the OEM kit on my car, is that compatable? There's a note saying:
not for cars with 2-steps-inflator (e.g. Z3, E39, M Coupé) modul with fixed 4-wire harness only visible after removal of the steering wheel.
Do what your always preaching SEARCH and you will find
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... light=raid
and you will see Mick Fishwick has fitted one
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

funnily enough, geoff, i did search. And when it comes up "No topics or posts met your search criteria", i tend to ask a question :wink:

thanks for the link though :)
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Andrew, what age is your car? The Raid airbag wheels will fit any age Z3, but will be plug and play on pre 04/1999 models (pre facelift models) or require a simple wiring modification on later models.

Whereabouts are you?
Andrew330Ci

blank.gif

Post by Andrew330Ci »

Hi C_W, its a 98 S reg, and based in Essex, I just measured the current steering wheel and its 375mm would a 320mm make a difference?

Thanks Guys

Andrew
topfuelking

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by topfuelking »

Mike Fishwick is your man
he has fitted the raid airbag wheel on his 2.8
THANKS MARC
looking for a carp fishing hoilday we can help http://www.carpfishingmayenne.com

ImageSYMPTOMS OF A BOOST JUNKY

1. You get excited when it's cold outside.
2. You fill up every three days.
3. The size of your grin is directly proportional to the amount of boost you’re on.

Airbags

Post by Guest »

I think you are mis-interpreting the RAID catalogue - remember that it is a translation! It means 'Not for a Z3 with 2-stage airbag' NOT that all Z3s have a 2-stage airbag, and so are unsuitable for this steering wheel.

The two-stage 'intelligent' airbag did not arrive until late 1999 I think, for the 2000 model year, so your 1998 car should be like mine (Oct '98 2.8) with a single-stage airbag. There should therefore be no problems if you follow my article (with pics) on fitting a smaller steering wheel - see the Z3 Knowledgebase.

I use a 340 mm RAID wheel, and find it just right. This reduces travel at the rim (compared to the standard wheel) by about 105 mm per turn, and 330 mm from lock to lock.

A further reduction in diameter from 340 to 320 mm does, however, equate to a reduction in travel at the rim of about 60 mm per turn, or 200 mm from lock to lock, which is quite a lot. Remember, though, that the steering will be a bit heavier.

I feel that a 320 mm is too extreme for a Z3, as it will obscure the instruments, and look rather odd - if not a little 'chavvy!'

It's up to you - but buy it from Chrom-Design of Troisdorf, rather than the UK importers, who don't seem to understand that one Euro is not worth one pound!

I find that after a long day's run of 400-600 miles my hands are still comfortable, whereas the original M type wheel made my fingers ache after only 200 or so. For that benefit I can live without the BMW logo, and with the stigma of 'non-originality' at BMWCC concours events.
Attachments
RAID 340 mm steering wheel
RAID 340 mm steering wheel
(h) RAID Wheel - General View.JPG (45.3 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
IOMRoadster

M roadster S50

Post by IOMRoadster »

I remember coming across the dual-stage airbag comment; anyone know how you can tell?

The RAID wheels are big in the Porsche circles but there are lots of companies that will supply a stiched leather airbag centre with Porsche on it; never seen that for BMW though...
Jonmurgie

M coupe S50

Post by Jonmurgie »

So is it beyond possibility to fit an E46 M3 wheel?
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Clicky

with serious modification to the slip ring, yes
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Early cars came with single airbags, so it will be plug and play with a 98 S car.

Post 04/1999 cars (facelift) came with dual stage airbags, so it's quite easy to tell what you've got.

320mm is too small. Even 340mm borderline IMO (which is what mine is). It's amazing how much different just a small reduction makes, so going all the way down to 320mm you'll actually start losing feel and it will feel clumsy in your hands I reckon.

Raid UK are useless and don't know what the notes on the Raid catalog mean even if the note is written there referring to an article no. (ie "not suitable for dual stage cars"); I spoke with Raid Germany and eventually found out that they actually make a conversion loom to suit the later cars (F bei Fahrzeugen, die serienmäßig mit Mehrstufengasgeneratoren ausgerüstet sind, nur in Verbindung mit Airbagadapterkabel atiwe Art.Nr.1220-1) but it's expensive and not needed as you can make one DIY for the price of a resistor; but as already said you don't need it on an early single stage airbag car.
Last edited by c_w on Thu 27 Dec, 2007 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

For reference (for dual stage airbags), it's item 3 in this image;

It is basically an adapter harness that plugs into the 6-pin car harness and one of the airbag firing wires is bridged by a resistor (3.3 ohm does the job).
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The wheels are not badly priced on raiduk website or slightly cheaper through Ebay (sold by RaidUK)
IOMRoadster

M roadster S50

Post by IOMRoadster »

Does anybody have a side pic of a wheel fitted to see what the hub looks like on the car?

I've emailed RAID UK to see what the price is all in for a 365mm wheel, hub adapter and the cable kit for later cars... will report the results.
Andrew330Ci

blank.gif

Post by Andrew330Ci »

Hi C_W,

Thanks for all the comments I'm just thinking the smaller the wheel the more room I will have to lift my leg up straight which should make it bareable to drive?!

Still not even sure it would work? Where abouts are you based, id be intteresed to see what 340mm looks like?

Cheers

Andrew

340 mm

Post by Guest »

It looks like this:
Attachments
340 mm RAID steering wheel - driver's view
340 mm RAID steering wheel - driver's view
(g) RAID Wheel - Driver's view.JPG (30.77 KiB) Viewed 2510 times