M Roadster 18" tyre choice

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
zederbee

M roadster S50

M Roadster 18" tyre choice

Post by zederbee »

I'm currently having my 18" AC Schnitzer Type III wheels refurbished and the rear tyres are not far off the limit so I'm thinking about changing the tyres at the same time.

The current tyres are Bridgestone Potenza S01 - these are no longer available so I guess I will have to put S03's on the back.

My question is that I have read that Falken 452's get a good write up but I'm not sure if anybody has tried them on 18" rims.

Current setup is 235's on the front and 265's on the rear.

Any suggestions? If I stick with the Bridgestones I just need the rears but I think that if I change for the Falkens I will need to change all four tyres.
1999 black M Roadster, AC Schnitzer hoops & Type III wheels.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

If the characteristics of the new Bridgestones are the same there shouldn't be a problem.

If they are different it would be better to change to 4 of the same make.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
exdos

M coupe S54

Re: M Roadster 18" tyre choice

Post by exdos »

My question is that I have read that Falken 452's get a good write up but I'm not sure if anybody has tried them on 18" rims.

Current setup is 235's on the front and 265's on the rear.

Any suggestions? If I stick with the Bridgestones I just need the rears but I think that if I change for the Falkens I will need to change all four tyres.
I've got Falken 452s, 235/front and 285/rear on 18" rims and they are great. Previously had Falken 451s, 235/F and 265/R and they were also great.
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

OK, I've looked into the Potenza 03's and it seems that they are nowhere near as good as 01's or 02's from what I have read so it looks like the 'characteristics' may well be different.

From your report on the Falkens I'm starting to lean towards getting these all round. Any tips on outlets with good prices?
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

Got mine from "Black Circles" by carrier and got a local tyre fitter to fit and balance them for me.

For me, they are the best value performance tyre around. Great in the wet and dry.
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

OK thanks,

I'll try them tomorrow.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Zederbee, I use a North West based mobile company for both company and personal tyres. They install at work / home and are always the cheapest (they will price match anyone). They always get the tyres and can install next day if needed. There should be a mobile outfit near you worth giving a call,alot easier when they come to you :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

jonttt wrote:Zederbee, I use a North West based mobile company for both company and personal tyres. They install at work / home and are always the cheapest (they will price match anyone). They always get the tyres and can install next day if needed. There should be a mobile outfit near you worth giving a call,alot easier when they come to you :wink:
If they have mobile facilities in the SE then can you give me their details?

Thanks.