Z3M rod bearing change

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Z3M rod bearing change

Post by S54James »

Hello

I have just purchased a 03 reg Z3M with the S54 engine, chassis number LB64133 so second from last made. I have had the car for a month now with no problems, Vanos is ok etc etc. I keep reading about owners changing their rod bearings, do I need to worry on this car? the car was manfactured April 2002. Do other owners think I should change these bearings even though currently there is no problem with them. Also who would I trust to change them? main dealers ?
This has allways been a worry for me as well as the spot weld failures that I keep reading about (my one is fine) the car is great but now I am wondering if I should have purchased the car at all and stayed with my corvettes ...
all the best

Nick James
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by S54James »

Hello

I may even think about selling this Z3M, the car has full service history from main dealer and done 25000 miles from new. The CD changer has been replaced with a new BMW unit again purchased from main dealer. The car has traction control, heated seats, factory option hard top with black leather interior. The car is mint in every way. my email address is nick.sandra@btinternet.com, so please email me and I will send you pictures. The price is £14995 and 03 plate registered. Any inspection welcome on this rare car. I just may go back to corvettes .....
regards
Nick
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

S54s don't suffer from VANOS problems, so you can forget that one.

There has been just one, possibly two UK S54 ///MRs that have suffered bearing shell failure. AFAIK the accepted problem was in the middle of the production run, so early and late production examples (yours) were not affected.

If your rear floor pan welds are ok now, then simply avoid dumping the clutch and wheel-spinning away from the lights at every possible opportunity and you won't get any problems. Simples.

Of course, if Corvettes are your bag, then I'm sure someone will relieve you of your liability.

A.
Last edited by Alfie on Thu 26 Nov, 2009 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Sorry...accidental double post.

A.
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by S54James »

Hello

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my concerns, very useful. Other then the areas that I have already discussed, I do think this is one of the best cars that we have owned. The advantage of the Z3M is that it does go round corners when needed, which the corvette does struggle with.

all the best

Nick
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I have seen letters posted on the web from BMW america confirming that the recall affected S54 engines produced between October 2001 and February 2002 :wink:

I agree with Alfie though there have been very very few examples of RHD S54 Roadsters having this problem and those were years ago :rtm:

Mine has been remapped and delimited and I've had it up to 8,000 revs several times with no problems. Most of these cars have been driven hard at some point in their life (thats what theya re designed for) so to me if it was going to happen it would have happended by now :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by S54James »

Hi

great thanks for the information, this has put my mind at rest. I must say you are all a helpful bunch.

regards

Nick
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Something else to reassure you Nick. If you put an 03 S54 up for sale at 15k I think that the phone will ring off the hook and the car will be sold within a week. Keep the zed as it sounds like you have a gem :D
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

Alfie wrote:S54s don't suffer from VANOS problems, so you can forget that one.

There has been just one, possibly two UK S54 ///MRs that have suffered bearing shell failure. AFAIK the accepted problem was in the middle of the production run, so early and late production examples (yours) were not affected.

A.

There have been at least 8 S54 MRs and MCs that have suffered bearing shell failure, including mine at 31k miles some 3 months ago. I think the entire S54 production run is at risk.
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

my local indie,who has 2 bmw trained tecnitions who between them have over 20 years at bmw,told me ,whether this is true or not i cant say,that even though they have had some zm cars in laters ones s54 with the rod problems bmw are still not putting it right properly and some of the tecs there have had large problems with the management over what should be done,and what the management say should be done,im quessing who was right
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

BMW provided me with a brand new engine when mine went bang!
RussJ

M roadster S54

Post by RussJ »

I replaced the bearings on my old S54 as a precautionery measure.
Kit of parts was about £150 and it took me a weekend or so to fit.
When I examined the old shells there were clear signs of "rocking" and irregular wear, after only 28k or so, so I'm glad I made the effort - even though someone else will get the benefit now!
Bear in mind under the Sale of Goods Act, you've got potentially 6 years comeback against the company who sold you the car, especially if it was a BMW dealer as they are privy to all the background to this issue.
No protection if it was a private purchase though (caveat emptor).
Russ
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by S54James »

Hello Again

I will be selling my Z4M roadster (03 plate) done 24000 miles with full service history. chassis number LB64133. full options including traction control, with brand new CD multi changer just purchased. Heated seats, black leather, air con, with optional hard top. Reason purchasing a Z4M which will be under warrantly. No spot weld failures, or engine problems or any faults. Estoril Blue met ... price £14995 please email nick.sandra@btinternet for photos as the files are large. Viewing only by appiontment only.

regards

Nick
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Nick, sorry your Z3m ownership has bene so brief, I guess you have been put off by these issues :?:

You should really post up seperately in the Stock Exchange section to get better exposure.

good luck with the sale :wink:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by S54James »

Hello

I do like the car, I suppose the only way to put my mind at rest is to have the bearings changed, even though they seem fine at the moment. But as you have said before you have never changed your bearings and you have been fine. I never have had these issues with all the corvettes I have owned? but .. perhaps its just getting used to a different type of sports car. I will sleep on it tonight, I have just popped in from the garage after giving the z3m a good polish. I am more then happy with the performance and handling, anyway life is short I suppose I should stop worrying about the negatives and start to enjoy the positives of the car
regards
Nick
Randy_Forbes

M roadster S54

Post by Randy_Forbes »

I feel rather strongly about changing the bearings as a precaution, and have done so on a dozen or so cars in the States.

While I won't inundate you with a slew of pictures (jonttt knows I have them) here's just a sampling...

Orientation as found upon removal:

The owner of this car requested that I treat his bearings to a polymer coating of dry-film lubricant (shown before/after burnishing the surface):

As Jon knows, this post was more about testing my ability to log on, make a post and add an attachment. I'd recently had difficulty (my own fault) but I like to stay on topic ;)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Glad you've managed to get access sorted :wink:

I have a dilema in that a previous owner of my car has told me personally that my car had the replacements done by BMW "off the radar" (read no documentation and he was told by BMW would not be recorded as warranty work). This was apparently done when the car had a documented (on warranty history) replacement fan and radiator (fan failed famously on a Zroadster cruise :D ).

Now the previous owner has absolutely now reason to mkae this up and he volunteered the info when I contacted him by phone out of interest about the history of the car but..... as stated above I do not know 100%.

So as this is a keeper should I buy the replacement kit and get my indy to fit. I can get the cost of the kit from BMW but how many hours labour is it to fit. Or do you supply an "upgraded" kit Randy?

If I had not spoken to the previous owner I almost certainly would get this done just for piece of mind but not sure now :head:
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by S54James »

Hi

Its Nick who is selling my 03 z3m, I may get a quote from fairfield BMW dealer in south end on sea, to replace these bearings. If I do and the cost is not to expensive, i will remove the car from sale and keep her. Now what kit do I ask for? I assume the replacement parts have been upgraded and fixed? for example they are not the same problematic bearings they supply you .....
all the best
Nick
Randy_Forbes

M roadster S54

Post by Randy_Forbes »

Jon, the only way you'd know for sure, is to check the back of the bearing insert; the originals have "BMW" on them and the replacements do not (they're stamped something like "CL" for Clevite, division of DANA Corp.).

I do offer the same bearing kit as BMW does, but I've taken and treated the bearings with a dry-film lubricant. Not everybody wants to pay for the additional labor, but I've got a couple of cars on the road with them. That adds $200.00USD to the cost. I could do bearings that you supplied (mailed to Ohio, USA) if that works out for favorably, as far as import fees go (?).

As for the labor to do the bearing swap, if they want to charge more than ten (>10) hours, you're being raped. If everything goes perfectly, it's barely an eight (8) hour job. I do the service for a flatrate, based on ten (10) hours.

Here's a link to an album that shows an entire S-52 engine__during a rebuild__getting a full complement of polymer coatings; dry-film, thermal barrier, thermal dispersant, etc. http://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album135?page=30
AussieZ3

M roadster S54

Post by AussieZ3 »

Jonttt
I'd be inclined to believe David. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would lie about that sort of thing.

Randy,
Good to see you here, on the other side. :)
Proud owner of #70 of 73 ever built RHD S54 M Roadster.

2000 Evergreen E36/8 M Coupe
2001 Imola Red E39 M5
2002 Phoenix Yellow E36/7 M Roadster
2003 Dakar Yellow E46 M3 Cabriolet
2005 Estoril Blue E53 X5 4.8is
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I agree, he had no reason to say this to me other than to let me know as there are no records with the car of it.

I guess out of interest and perhaps info for other S54 owners it would be interesting to know what the options are and the costs involved split parts and labour.
AussieZ3

M roadster S54

Post by AussieZ3 »

$800 parts
$1000 labour (8hrs)

In Australia anyway.
About 1000 GBP all up.

Cheaper than a $30k new S54!!

2001 Imola Red E39 M5
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Group buy anyone?

A.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I'm gonna work on the basis its been done to mine already :wink:
Randy_Forbes

M roadster S54

Post by Randy_Forbes »

AussieZ3 wrote:$800 parts
$1000 labour (8hrs)

In Australia anyway.
About 1000 GBP all up.

Cheaper than a $30k new S54!!
Wow! I charge a flat $900.00, including parts (M3 recall kit & sump gskt) and oil to change out the bearing shells.

Last time I checked, early-mid summer, an engine was $13k + $2k core charge.

All prices USD.
AussieZ3

M roadster S54

Post by AussieZ3 »

I should have said all prices Aus $.
Current exchange is 0.93, so $1800 AU is $1674 US

Standard rip off we cop, as per usual. :|

2001 Imola Red E39 M5
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thats good price Randy, I think more people would get it done if it was c£600 fully installed in the UK ?
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Maybe we could organize Mr Forbes a summer 'vacation' to the UK. While here could could also perform a little subframe 'proctology'!
Randy_Forbes

M roadster S54

Post by Randy_Forbes »

siwilson wrote:Maybe we could organize Mr Forbes a summer 'vacation' to the UK. While here could could also perform a little subframe 'proctology'!
Sounds like a good idea to me, as there's a couple places I'd like to go shopping while there (SC Austin-Healey @ Gatwick and Denis Welch Motorsport @ Burton on Trent).

You'd have to make arrangements with a suitable facility, and I would just be an advisor (costs extra if I get dirty ;) ). But I'd be glad to teach somebody on your side of the Atlantic what I've been doing over here.

As Jon knows, I'm pleased as punch that BMWUK has been replacing your trunkfloors, but that only gets them back to the spec they left Spartanburg with__no stronger. Having a solid platform to start with is a definite plus, but it will still benefit from reinforcement.

As for credentials, I've had British sportscars continously since I purchased a new 1973 MGB Tourer.

I've owned this brute since 4/1/78:

Full resolution: http://www.rfdm.com/albums/album107/IMG_5445.jpg

Full resolution: http://www.rfdm.com/albums/album107/IMG_5455.jpg
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Randy_Forbes wrote:there's a couple places I'd like to go shopping while there (SC Austin-Healey @ Gatwick and Denis Welch Motorsport @ Burton on Trent).
I wouldn't want to be carrying your bags for you on the way back, by the sound of that they will be rather heavy! :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Randy_Forbes

M roadster S54

Post by Randy_Forbes »

Robert T wrote:
Randy_Forbes wrote:there's a couple places I'd like to go shopping while there (SC Austin-Healey @ Gatwick and Denis Welch Motorsport @ Burton on Trent).
I wouldn't want to be carrying your bags for you on the way back, by the sound of that they will be rather heavy! :lol:

Cheers R.
Yes, but fortunately, all the really big items have been covered by now (see car above). Ten or twenty years ago, it would've been a totally different story.
Chippy

M coupe S50

Post by Chippy »

Randy,
SC Austin-Healey @ Gatwick is about 2 miles up the road from my house, so if you need anything just let me know!
Randy_Forbes

M roadster S54

Post by Randy_Forbes »

Chippy wrote:Randy,
SC Austin-Healey @ Gatwick is about 2 miles up the road from my house, so if you need anything just let me know!
Thank you! :)
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

z3m S54 Chassis LB164133 (03 reg)

Post by S54James »

Hello

I have just removed this Z3M from sale (s54 03 plate) and decided to keep her, after to many time wasters and one dodgy person who tried to find out where the car was kept, and in my mind intend to steal the car ... anyway I have decidedI should be happy with what I have and get a Z4M next year .. hope to see a few of you at the shows this year.

regards

Nick
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Glad to here it nick, I sure you will get plenty of smiles from it this summer :wink: