M roadster vanos service

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Badman gee

M roadster S50

M roadster vanos service

Post by Badman gee »

Hello, I have a question regarding the vanos unit on a s50 2000 reg with 40000 miles on the clock.

Is it worth having the vanos unit serviced? If so at what cost?

Many thanks
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Not unless there is something wrong with it? The old saying of 'if it aint broke dont fix it' applies

The only 'servicing' you can do is replace the vanos filter every inspection service. Its the size of a 10p coin and costs a few quid.

Other than that make sure you use the correct oil on services and check to see whether your vanos bolts have been uprated (ask BMW), if not do it sharpish
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Many thanks, there is no fault with them. Just wanted to check, I hear so many issues with them. I used to have an imola red 4 years ago and have missed it. Just brought a silver 2000 plate with 40000 on the clock.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

By the way what's the best oil
hornel Z3M

blank

vanos

Post by hornel Z3M »

The trouble is with the saying "if there is nothing wrong dont fix it" is, do we really know there is nothing wrong. I have been reading on bimmerforums about the vanos noise and rattles, some say it is normal, but if it is normal how are some M`s quiet and most others noisy. Surely a noise means the vanos is not working properly and needs attention. I have bought a set of seals and gaskets for mine but i am sure it won`t stop the tick or growl and people have had new one`s fitted and the noise has come back. What do we do :(
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Hello hornel have you had any other problems? I'd like to know of any other major issues that could be hiding
hornel Z3M

blank

oil

Post by hornel Z3M »

Hi Badman g.

The M is fabulous -and was told by a top engine expert who once owned the car previous to the previous owner only to use Castrol Edge 5w-30 as the other thicker oils like 10-60 arte too thick for the vanos. That oil is in my car now and have purchased the castrol edge to replace it. The vanos has only just started making a noise as i have not used the car since i bought it 2 months ago i am not sure whether its a lack of use noise.
does mr vanos still operate?????
shantybeater

Porsche

Re: vanos

Post by shantybeater »

hornel Z3M wrote:The trouble is with the saying "if there is nothing wrong dont fix it" is, do we really know there is nothing wrong. I have been reading on bimmerforums about the vanos noise and rattles, some say it is normal, but if it is normal how are some M`s quiet and most others noisy. Surely a noise means the vanos is not working properly and needs attention. I have bought a set of seals and gaskets for mine but i am sure it won`t stop the tick or growl and people have had new one`s fitted and the noise has come back. What do we do :(
No it most definately wont get rid of the growl. Replacing the Seals/gaskets with proper viton/teflon seals will stop solenoid failure. OEM seals are weak and cannot cope with the high pressure of the oil. Solenoid failure will result in a car with massive lack of performance, bad idling and such laggy response you end up fighting not to stall the car. This IS the problem people report of VANOS failure, there is no warning..none whatsever, I've learnt this first hand when I bought my car with a SILENT Vanos.

The other known VANOS issue is down to the bolts which have now been recalled, if your car is running original bolts they can (and are known) to sheer off resulting in 7 liters of oil being dumped at an alarming rate into your engine bay and all over the floor...obviously oil starvation can then destroy your whole engine if not switched off quickly, i've seen too many threads with this happening not to get the bolts checked and possibly changed every inspection II Service

The rattle on the other hand is the fault of the splined gears, they were designed with very loose tolerances so can start to develop a rattle/growl. This has NEVER led to a failure as far as i'm aware, show me a thread and prove me wrong. Also as mentioned in a previous thread my brothers S50 has no performance loss at all and has a slight growl, the splined gears being slightly loose does not stop the VANOS from functioning properly. If you are keen to get rid of the rattle you will need to have your VANOS completely rebuilt and as you said yourself its likely to return

I hope I havent just instilled fear into you but its better to know what to do to prevent problems from occuring
Last edited by shantybeater on Sun 14 Nov, 2010 15:29, edited 2 times in total.
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

hell hornel

mr vanos is still on the web

he sells seals and bolts to upgrade the vanos unit. have you or anyone fitted these? is it easy to do?

8-)
hornel Z3M

blank

web

Post by hornel Z3M »

He`s on the web but i failed to get an e-mail on his site to him and have have phoned, admittidely out of hours but no answer phone so i am not sure :head: The seals and bolts prevent the oil loss and bolt shearing and can be dony by a competent person but i want dead quiet from my engine if you know what i mean :wink: so that will possibly not quieten the vanos
Boysie

M roadster S50

Re: vanos

Post by Boysie »

shantybeater wrote:The rattle on the other hand is the fault of the splined gears, they were designed with very loose tolerances so can start to develop a rattle/growl. This has NEVER led to a failure as far as i'm aware, show me a thread and prove me wrong. Also as mentioned in a previous thread my brothers S50 has no performance loss at all and has a slight growl, the splined gears being slightly loose does not stop the VANOS from functioning properly. If you are keen to get rid of the rattle you will need to have your VANOS completely rebuilt and as you said yourself its likely to return
This is true i was told by a independant that most people renew the vanos and dont renew the splines because of the extra cost
"False economy"

I've been told I have the slightest growl/rattle
the car that is :lol:
I cant hear it

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

thank you shantybeater and hornel for the info. i will be due a service 2 soon so i will get the seals and bolts checked and replaced.

On another topic, what is the best cleaning products for the paint work, leather trim and soft top (clean and protect the soft top).

Oh and the rear view window in the soft top.

sorry for all the questions but not had one in years
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Badman gee wrote:thank you shantybeater and hornel for the info. i will be due a service 2 soon so i will get the seals and bolts checked and replaced.

On another topic, what is the best cleaning products for the paint work, leather trim and soft top (clean and protect the soft top).

Oh and the rear view window in the soft top.

sorry for all the questions but not had one in years
No worries.

I stick to AutoGlym products for all of the above, they have never let me down.

The glass polish works well on the rear window as well :)

Check out the link in my sig below for my progress thread, i did a detailed clean and posted up about it at the beginning of it
Last edited by shantybeater on Sun 14 Nov, 2010 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
hornel Z3M

blank

polish

Post by hornel Z3M »

Find some Meguiers polish and car wash and some leather cleaner for the seats the back window can be scratched with the wrong materials so just clean with some window cleaner and buff up.. The wheels on mine never get dirty so i just polish them up with the car wax,,, no car cleaner than mine :lol:
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

zederbee

M roadster S50

Re: web

Post by zederbee »

hornel Z3M wrote:He`s on the web but i failed to get an e-mail on his site to him and have have phoned, admittidely out of hours but no answer phone so i am not sure :head: The seals and bolts prevent the oil loss and bolt shearing and can be dony by a competent person but i want dead quiet from my engine if you know what i mean :wink: so that will possibly not quieten the vanos
I spoke to him about a month ago when I was enquiring about refurbishing the vanos on an M5 so he was around then.
1999 black M Roadster, AC Schnitzer hoops & Type III wheels.
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Shouldn't worry, I also spoke to mr vanos and a twin vanos replacement at your home address is £500, so worst case scenario is not the end of the world.