Charlotte

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Giles

Not specified

Charlotte

Post by Giles »

Anyone know where my old pride and joy is now?

and with the coolest number plate ever....

hornel Z3M

blank

m

Post by hornel Z3M »

Thats so amazing you should put that up as 2 hours ago i found the magazine from Dec 2004 and have been looking at it within the last hour. Grahams car with the hamman spoiler inspired me to put one on my first Z3 1.9 but i have an Estoril blue M now and have put one on that as well.
Bet you wish you still had it? :wink: thanks for all the inspiration
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Charlotte

Post by gookah »

Giles wrote:Anyone know where my old pride and joy is now?

and with the coolest number plate ever....

that IS nice...

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

I think Daz has taken in to a few PH meets Gi, but she's not in the same condition now.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

You know what ...........................I'd never noticed the front bumper before :oops:

I beg to differ on the plate :P
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

stu wrote:I think Daz has taken in to a few PH meets Gi, but she's not in the same condition now.
She was a stunner. :P Imola is, IMHO, still the best Z ///M colour - especially with a classic red roof. :D
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

The front spoiler with fogs was one of the most expensive of the ACS mods and it was a bugger to fit. ACS actually stopped manufacture because of it's potential ill-fitting nature, although mine worked really well. I believe that Charlotte was the only UK car to have this mod fitted and IIRC it was around £1500.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

I would well believe that, Giles, in all the Zed pics I've looked at over the years, I have never seen one fitted to another.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

Some photos you sent me to host/post for you when Charlotte was going through the conversion ...

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Snap :D

And it deserved a new reg :wink:

Daz, posted a few times on my journal but not heard from him for a while.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I thought the guy selling the coupe wasn't going to sell the plate separately ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

He wasn't.................... then he changed his mind :twisted:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
JohnSmith

M roadster S50

Post by JohnSmith »

I wasn't sure about those wheels before but seeing them in bigger pictures they look great. Not sure if I'd have those over BBS LMs... hmmm.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

IMHO the ACS Type 3 Racing, transform the looks, best alloys on a Zed :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

I bought the car in 2003, she was an unmolested example and on a 52 plate, one of the last.

I'd always hankered after Schnitzer and my nature meant that once decided I couldn't do half measures :oops:

Rossiters did me proud and when that photoshoot for Total BMW took place, the car was very much still mine (if you look carefully at the pics on Jonetts thread, you can clearly see I still had a ponytail!). But by the time the magazine article was published I had sold Charlotte to Bryn. The lure of an M3 CSL won me over.

I still regret selling Charlotte to be honest, but then I always knew I would even before the deal was done..

Thanks Nero for reposting those shots, not only do they tell you why I needed to buy a decent DLSR (Imola Orange was the best a chuck away could do!), but they also wonderfully show why, with gentle and respectful modification, a good car can be made great. ACS has always been the most modest of the main modders, but it oozes class and subtlety for me.

I think the total cost, including front and rear strutts plus the fancy number plate didn't give me much change out of £20k, but it was worth every damn penny. She was pretty tidy on track as well IIRC :wink:

Oh to roll the clock back!

:P
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Hey Sister...!

Charlotte was the car that turned me on to Imola Red. She always looked amazing with those subtle ACS additions and Giles always kept her immaculate.

I was really keen to buy Charlotte from Giles when he decided to sell, but Bryn was so quick off the mark and he put his money down before I could even open my cheque book...!

I'd love to see her again.

A.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Giles wrote:........didn't give me much change out of £20k, but it was worth every damn penny.
Just to be clear I think Giles means £20k for the mods alone + the car :rtm:

I must admit Charlotte was the car that finally persuaded me both to swap my first Z3m and secondly to source the Schnitzer wheels etc....

The one thing I was never 100% sure about though and that was the front Ac Schnitzer bumper, had the chance to buy one a few months ago and actually passed it up as I think the OEM bumper with Schnitzer Splitters (which I've got to go on) looks a lot more aggressive.

Its interesting to here that the Schnitzer bumper was a pain to fit.

Daz, did contact me a while back re refurbishing the wheels and I don't think he had any plans to sell so hopefully he will be back on here sometime soon with Charlotte :?:
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Jonttt wrote:
Giles wrote:........didn't give me much change out of £20k, but it was worth every damn penny.
Er no I don't actually. The car itself cost £29k and my total modding bill was something around £19k IIRC.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Giles wrote:
Jonttt wrote:
Er no I don't actually. The car itself cost £29k and my total modding bill was something around £19k IIRC.
sorry Giles, I just confused things by trying to clarify them :oops: Thats what I meant, should have said "I think Giles means £20k for the mods alone + the COST OF THE car" :wink:
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Jonttt wrote:sorry Giles, I just confused things by trying to clarify them :oops: Thats what I meant, should have said "I think Giles means £20k for the mods alone + the COST OF THE car" :wink:
I knew what you meant jonttt - it's just the way you say it :wink:
When Bryn had Charlotte he was only about 12 miles away from us - but we never managed to meet up :(
Image :devil:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Good grief, you spend 19k on modifying a car then sell it :head:

Tim.
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

We all do things we regret, nevertheless the carrot was an M3 CSL....

'Nuff said maybe :twisted:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Giles wrote:We all do things we regret, nevertheless the carrot was an M3 CSL....

:lol:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......I would have kept the Zed :wink:

Tim.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

TitanTim wrote:I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......I would have kept the Zed
....in the garage ALL year :twisted:
Image :devil:
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Giles wrote:We all do things we regret, nevertheless the carrot was an M3 CSL....

Depends if you also ask what became of Nemesis?

BTW, Top guy Bryn. He is currently doing a very difficult job that we should all be grateful for!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Titan wrote:
TitanTim wrote:I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......I would have kept the Zed
....in the garage ALL year :twisted:
:geek: he's been out on parole today :wink:

:sunny :drive

Tim.
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

siwilson wrote:Depends if you also ask what became of Nemesis?
:oops:

Actually I have a suspicion Nemesis was written off by the chap who bought it from me, within quite a short space of time too :shake:

OK OK I admit I do like to chop and change my cars but I'm also ready to admit totally that selling Charlotte and Nemesis were two of my biggest car related mistakes :cry:
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Anybody got a spare Z3 they can give to Giles?

He's obviously in a retrospective mood....

What about the pony tail Gi...????

:D

A.
Last edited by Alfie on Mon 21 Mar, 2011 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Make Jonttt an offer :lol:

Tim.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Nice looking car, what suspension setup was it running? The ride height looks about right for what im after

P.S an m3 CSL was a worthy replacement, I don't mind swapping if you've had a change of heart! :lol:
Last edited by shantybeater on Mon 21 Mar, 2011 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

TitanTim wrote:Make Jonttt an offer :lol:

Tim.
He would end up spending more than he did the first time :D
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

How about one of these?

http://www.selftrading.co.uk/hair-pony- ... ons-040309

Just buy her back Giles ................... you know you want to! 8-)
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

shantybeater wrote:Nice looking car, what suspension setup was it running? The ride height looks about right for what im after
AC Schnitzer Race, which are coilovers on the front. V expensive and quite stiff.
Daz

M roadster S54

Post by Daz »

Hi Guys and Gals,

just found this thread after a bit of an absence from the board. You will be pleased to know that Charlotte is still safe in my hands and I have no intention or desire to let her go at all.

She has a very comfortable double garage to herself, much to my wife, Helen's annoyance. I am often told by Helen that I love Charlotte more than her and I find it hard to answer as I don't want to dissapoint either!!!

Charlotte is still in extremely good condition with a slightly more healthy 43k on the clock now. Almost all the miles I have put on her have been dry and almost all of them quite 'spirited' but definitely not abusive. The wheels are due to be refurbed again at the end of this summer as there are some small areas of laquer lifting near the join with the inner wheels. Apparently they have a much more durable way of finishing the rims now which should last a lot longer. The front bumper was resprayed a good few years ago, however whilst I was dithering about wether to apply Armorfend, I collected a new array of stone chips which I will be sorting during the next winter lay-up.

One of the larger chunks of mileage was added a few years ago during a trip to Kinlochbervie in the very North West tip of Scotland for a family wedding. A week of sunshine and Premium unleaded on those fantastic deserted roads ended up costing me £500 in fuel alone. Well worth it for the amazing grin factor. The only thing which managed to momentarily wipe the grin away was the occasional horrendous crunch of the rear brace scraping the ground during a bottom-out. Still makes me cringe (and almost cry!!!). She has also been round Brands Hatch (5 minutes away from us) during a very cautious track evening - the surface was horrendously greasy due to some light afternoon rain. The DSC was on for about 75% of each lap which was a little frustrating, however as we had witnessed a lovey cherished M3 stack it as we arrived, I was happy for the little orange light to be shouting at me, telling me it was saving my pride and joy from the armco. I don't really want to track her seriously as I would be devastated if i damaged her.

A couple of weeks ago we were driving home from Sevenoaks when a couple of zeds on a cruise pulled out in front of us so we diverted and followed for a short while wishing we had known about the event - I must catch up with matters Zed more frequently.

Helen often asks me what it would take for me to sell Charlotte and the answer is always the same - 'Being completely broke or an Alpina Z8, even then it would have to be a bloody good one.' She is definitely a keeper with the biggest problem being who to will her to when I eventually get scattered at the Zentrum. There is a long line of admirers waiting in the wings!

If the breadline or the Z8 approaches before my scattering, I will be sure to let the forum members know that my cherished Charlotte is avalable once more, just don't hold your collective breath.

Giles, I have said this before, you created a fantastic car and I have changed very little as nothing was really needed. She still looks fresh and very individual and obvioulsy sounds amazing especially pootling(ha!) around the picturesque Kentish villages. Bryn kept her in great condition and I hope that I am doing her justice. I think I have some recent photos on flickr or photobucket which I will find and post a link to.

In the meantime enjoy your Zeds and when it's sunny, keep an eye and an ear out for our beloved Charlotte.

Cheers for now,

Daz
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Shame I missed you on the day, would've been good to have a Red and Blue S54 together for a pic 8-)
Gazza

ImageImage
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thanks for the update Daz, good to keep track of all the Imola S54's :D
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Thanks Daz.... Good to hear from you and Charlotte, and really pleased that she's living the lifestyle she deserves!

The three sisters should get together for a family reunion sometime.... :idea: 8-)

Unfortunately the long-lost fourth sister is still unaccounted for. :cry:

Cheers!
A.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Great stuff. Can never get enough of this delightful car.

Daz, the car handles great on track, but I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm sure Bryn & Mel are just as melancholic as Giles & Larri nowadays!

Welcome back.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

You have a Z3M called Charlotte????

Regards

Peter
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

TR4man wrote:You have a Z3M called Charlotte????
No, he has THE Z3M called Charlotte.
:wink:

There is only one, and with good reason.

A.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Alfie/Daz,

Are you both going to Silverstone for the classic car racing weekend this year ?

I'll be there ;-)
Daz

M roadster S54

Post by Daz »

Unfortunately not, however the longer the sun shines, the more likley we will get the opportunity to meet up!
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Jonttt wrote:Alfie/Daz,

Are you both going to Silverstone for the classic car racing weekend this year ?
Yep. Alfie, Di and RED are booked for Saturday (for the lap) and Sunday (for the social).
I'm not expecting to arrive quite so early in the morning as last year though!

Go on Daz.... You know Charlotte wants to be there...! :idea:

A.
Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Post by Kornknarr »

Very beautiful car indeed and tastefully modded. Something to aim at! Would you mind telling us what the suspension upgrades are?
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Daz wrote:Giles, I have said this before, you created a fantastic car and I have changed very little as nothing was really needed. She still looks fresh and very individual and obvioulsy sounds amazing especially pootling(ha!) around the picturesque Kentish villages. Bryn kept her in great condition and I hope that I am doing her justice. I think I have some recent photos on flickr or photobucket which I will find and post a link to.
Thanks for posting this Daz (even though some time ago!) I still yearn after this car and you know it's absolutely the Law to offer me first refusal when that Z8 arrives !

Best
Giles
Daz

M roadster S54

Post by Daz »

You may be pleased to know that Charlotte is getting some proper treatment at this very moment. A front end respray followed by a comprehensive detail and total wheel refurb should bring her back to where she deserves to be. Next will be a raid steering wheel (following Jontt's instructions to the letter) and interior refurb. I did yearn after a red/black interior as in my previous ///M but C will be staying Red/Black/Black as she was originally intended.

2015 will be the year Charlotte makes her big come-back!I will make sure she is showed off wherever possible and in the best possible condition.

Still looking for the right Z8 but definitely not at the cost of our "C" - she has been promised to our first Grandson (if i'm not buried in her!).

See you soon at a hoon / Sunday Service / meet / cruise / lunch / gathering near you.

Look forward to meeting you guys,

Daz (& Hels) & Charlotte
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

That's great to hear Daz. I've got to get mine back on the road next spring, it's been sorned for 12 months now :head:

The raid is a great upgrade, really improves the driving feel just don't go smaller than 340mm ;-)
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Daz wrote:A front end respray....
Any discount for two in the same colour? :wink:
RED really needs a front-end makeover too.
Daz wrote:See you soon at a hoon / Sunday Service / meet / cruise / lunch / gathering near you. Look forward to meeting you guys.
Backatcha...!

A.
Daz

M roadster S54

Post by Daz »

Hi all ///M Roadster fans, quick Charlotte update....

Front end respray - check. very pleased with the job that Hillside Coachworks in Knockholt did.

Wheel refurb - check (bloody expensive but worth it). Lepsons in Gillingham did the honours.

New steering wheel - check. Decided to go for a re-covered wheel by Jack at Royal Steering Wheels. He did a great job in covering the wheel with half perforated leather and half Alcantara with matching gear gaitor. Slight opinion from the other half to keep the car more original (a bit late really!) was the decision maker on this one.

Currently being detailed with pictures to follow. I just hope it doesn't rain on Thursday evening when I am supposed to be collecting her.

Happy Zedding!

Daz
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Hi daz, been watching this thread with interest, l live in the same neck of the woods and was thinking of using lepsons myself, can you tell me what wheel style you have and how much they charged?
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'