Power Hood Problems ........Help..

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
tuxman

M roadster S50

Power Hood Problems ........Help..

Post by tuxman »

My Wife's power hood on her M Roadster had developed a intermitent faulty when trying to open and close , sometimes it works fine then it will stop in any position it wants , anyone any ideas where i can start ? i,m pretty handy but wondered if there are any normal faults with these like switch ect , the hood had has alot of use . thanks for any help . Tux
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Try looking at the wiring leading to the hood miroswitch, it is prone to breaking and this can cause an intermittant problem like you describe.

The route of the cable is highlighted below in yellow, check at the hinge points for the breaks.

HTH
tuxman

M roadster S50

Post by tuxman »

Great thanks , can you buy that part of the loom ?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Cable

Post by Brian H »

Not sure if you buy from BMW as a separate part, it is just 2 core braided cable. I have had a look on realoem but cannot find it (somebody help).
jayson f

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by jayson f »

Recently had a problem with mine tracked it down to the swith on the brake pedal, off to the local BMW centre and £20.00 later problem solved. Try pumping the brake pedal as you let the hood down this is how i found out it was the brake pedal switch.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Would it not have been easier just to check to see if the brakelights came on? It's the same switch!

Can't see the part for the wiring set. The replacement microswitch is expensive, so it might be part of it. I would just do a DIY job on it - just cut and replace the offending section with similar gauge wire - use stranded rather than solid core as you want it to bend.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
grahamhill56

Z3 roadster 2.8

Power hood problems

Post by grahamhill56 »

I had a similar problem with mine last year & it was just a case of take off the motor (in the boot) & put it back on again! Mines worked ever since, it might have been a bit of dirt in the oil.
Good luck