Z3m Exhaust

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
CaptainQ

M coupe S54

Z3m Exhaust

Post by CaptainQ »

Having to remove and replace the original BMW exhaust system recently made me realise just how heavy the rear boxes were so fitting lighter weight silencers is on the cards. Obviously I'd like to release a bit more of the deeper bit of that straight six sound at the same time. I've listened to some of the you-tube installations and they do sound a bit 'tinny', although this is, I suspect, largely due to sound compression. I don't want to go ridiculously loud although I realise this is a very subjective comment. Any suggestions?
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I had ProSpeed rears on mine, nice sound although there is a drone at around 1500rpm in 4th gear, especially with 2 people in the car.

Hayward and Scott in Essex have a deal for zroadster members with a choice of sound level.

Eisenmann are another choice with 3 different sounds

SuperSpint are a little raspy I think.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Pro Speed----

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Have PS system from the manifold tails-out to 100 Cats to boxes--pleasant quad music :) and saved 21Kilo,s over OE system.Whats that in BHP?.
safetyfast
Roo

M roadster S50

Re: Pro Speed----

Post by Roo »

ZZZEMMCO wrote:Have PS system from the manifold tails-out to 100 Cats to boxes--pleasant quad music :) and saved 21Kilo,s over OE system.Whats that in BHP?.
About 5bhp I reckon:

(321÷1375)×21

Good gain, but more than worth it for the sound alone
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

Remus do a nice set of rear boxes.... top quality cans, I have the importers details if you like.
Roo

M roadster S50

Post by Roo »

snatch wrote:Remus do a nice set of rear boxes.... top quality cans, I have the importers details if you like.
I'd be very interested in that info + price details, if you know them?
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Don't do it. The exhaust is plenty loud enough, just drop the hood.

We don't want the be tarred with the 'Lax Power' afterfartket billy bum-trumpet brush
Roo

M roadster S50

Post by Roo »

Lol - fair comment. I wasn't thinking about ear-bleeding db levels but I do appreciate your point. There's a fine line between "sporty" and "chavvy"

At the risk of opening another can of worms, is it easier / less chavvy to replace the cats to get a deeper tone from the exhaust?
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The standard exhaust is almost silent, the engine makes more noise IMO. They do sound better than your average car as it's a straight 6, so you won't be confused with a Saxo.

I prefer the hollow rasp nature that the engine tends to give though. Superspring sounds quite good and are pretty much quiet most of the time until full throttle.
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Post by offyourmarks »

Is taking weight from the rear a good idea? The tail wags easy enough as it is :lol:
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

Roo wrote:
snatch wrote:Remus do a nice set of rear boxes.... top quality cans, I have the importers details if you like.
I'd be very interested in that info + price details, if you know them?
He is a member on the coupe forum... goes by the forum name: FOK
I just tried to ring him but it seems he is abroad.. no doubt back soon, if I was you I'd wait and speak to him direct.
:wink:
dooby

M roadster S50

Post by dooby »

garythefish wrote:I had ProSpeed rears on mine, nice sound although there is a drone at around 1500rpm in 4th gear, especially with 2 people in the car.

Hayward and Scott in Essex have a deal for zroadster members with a choice of sound level.

Eisenmann are another choice with 3 different sounds

SuperSpint are a little raspy I think.
Its good, the mrs knows when to put the dinner on as i'm leaving work ;-)
CaptainQ

M coupe S54

Re: Z3m Exhaust

Post by CaptainQ »

Oops, didn't realise that I hadn't updated everyone on what I eventually did. First of all I fitted a stainless Powerflow system. Looked brill and initially thought that it sounded fantastic, especially at 5000rpm plus but soon started to sneak home on very light throttle settings so as not to arouse the locals ire! Eventually managed to bag a pair of Sebring rear boxes. Not that much of a weight saving but what a glorious deep sounding growl - even the neighbours seem to like it. Result!
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Re: Z3m Exhaust

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Your experience of Sebring sounds familiar

The back box on mine, albeit with a decat and mid-silencer delete, is perfect, lovely raspy gargle, no drone, no chAvvy accent

Would recommend the Sebring exhaust.

Although, saying that, the power flow in slough did my mid silencer delete for a cracking price and great workmanship
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".