S54 Bearing Shell Replacement

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Southcoaster

M roadster S54

S54 Bearing Shell Replacement

Post by Southcoaster »

Hi to all

I'm afraid that I hardly ever post, just lurk alot! I will try to submit more this year!

However, thought I would just pass on some current info that may be of interest.

Much has been written regarding possible bearing shell failure on certain S54 engines. Although this was aimed at the 341BHP M3 usage, the few and fortunate owners of S54 M Roadsters/Coupes I am sure will have had concerns - I certainly did.

I purchsed my M Roadster in August 2010, a 2001 model with a genuine 17,500 (Really!) on the clock. All the history and MOT history checked out.

Well on the basis that it had done an average of under 2k per year for the first 9 years, I guess the usage was probably on a Sunday!

The engine was as tight as a drum and I follow the rules on warm up - big time.

I have put 8k on it in the past 16 months, but exclude the bad weather ones, so my usage is respectable - the engine is still tight, but getting there.

In the back of my mind, the dreaded bearing shell worry was lurking, especially when at full chat on the autobahn - or playing with a couple of Lotii on the Col du Turini!

So after reading articles again, I decided to seek professional advice and took a trip to Munich Legends in the Ashdown Forest.

I explained my concerns and one of the first questions I was asked was "how many miles had it done?" I said 25K and their response was - if it had done 70 or 80 not to worry, but as it was such low milage, it could still be subject to the very unlikely chance of failure, but it was my call.

We agreed that they would drop the bottom end out and check.

The results are.

The bearing shells were the more recent type, but the con rod bolts were the older type.

What was interesting is the the upper bearing shells were showing signs of wear - this they advised me was most likely due to too much hard driving from cold, which would pretty much fit in with the life it probably led prior to my ownership.

So they have changed shells and bolts and put it back together. I am now waiting for some better weather to do a nice gentle running in trip - probably Brittany and back should do the trick.

On another note, I did ask ML about the possibilty of turning up the wick, interestingly they said that due to the restrictions in the ZM manifold and standard exhaust system, the difference in performance would be negligible, so it's staying as it is.

Happy Zedding!

Southcoaster
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

That'll settle the nerves.

If you want to turn up the wick, have a remap by Evolve, I think you will notice the difference, I certainly did :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Just out of curiosity, what did ML charge you for this pre-emotive replacement?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

That's an interesting read so thanks for taking the trouble to post up.

It reinforces from what I've researched that it they are going to fail its before the engine is fully ran in, certainly sub 50k miles.

They were done on mine by a main dealer as a goodwill when the car had some warranty work done for a previous owner so it's never really worried me.

There is logic to what you were told re more power but a good remap will make it more responsive, you need to get it breathing and exhaling better to get power gains without modifying the engine. You can get the rev limit removed to the same as the M3 which believe me makes a big difference at WOT very scary lol.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

siwilson wrote:Just out of curiosity, what did ML charge you for this pre-emotive replacement?
Yep.... x2

Group buy everyone?

Alfie.
S54 ///MR with 60k on the clock.
shantybeater

Porsche

Re: S54 Bearing Shell Replacement

Post by shantybeater »

If the shells were the new type then at some point previously surely they had been changed?. I thought anything pre 2003 was at risk? My Jan 02 car had the old style!

I tend to disagree that 50K+ means you are ok but I understand the logic (bad batch of shells etc...). Problem is i've read about far too many worn shells coming out of z3m's regardless of mileage so within a month of ownership I had mine changed out. The car had done just over 40k and the shells looked in very good condition. Just for my peace of mind it was worthwhile though!!!

I wish you many more happy years of motoring

James

P.S get some pics up!
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Southcoaster

M roadster S54

Post by Southcoaster »

Hi Guys,

First question - Gazza - what extra did the remap give you by way of acceleration - mid and top range?

Second - Jonttt - what does it rev to now and is there a limit or does it just go bang if you are not too careful!!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Southcoaster wrote:Hi Guys,

First question - Gazza - what extra did the remap give you by way of acceleration - mid and top range?

Second - Jonttt - what does it rev to now and is there a limit or does it just go bang if you are not too careful!!
Hi Gerald,

Acceleration is more responsive all through the rev range, You know how the kick feels at 3000rpm, well you get that kick again at 5500rpm, I didn't have the rev limit increased but did have the speed limiter increased. You will notice the car drives better and is more responsive in all gears.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Southcoaster wrote:Hi Guys,

Limit is raised to 8k RPM as per S54 M3, hits it like a brick wall as its sooooo free reving right through :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Southcoaster

M roadster S54

Post by Southcoaster »

Decision made - I've always been a bit drawn to the dark side. but I'll wait for a the run in to complete first, as it I may be tempted too early :twisted:
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I know it involves taking the top off the engine, but if I were to replace the shells, I'd upgrade the con-rods and bolts at the same time.

If you are doing this, you might as well get the scales out and balance everything as well. BMW recommend +/- 4g for just the rods, which I think is too much. I'd balance each rod/shell/piston/piston-ring assembly, not just the rod.

Next year's project is to do this and a lightened clutch :D .
Pingu
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Just to clarify......

The bottom needs to come off to change the conrod bearings.

If you wish to remove the pistons and conrods then the head has to be removed.

When the conrod bearings are changed it is advisable to use new conrod bolts such as ARP.
Gazza

ImageImage
'Yadi

M coupe S54

Post by 'Yadi »

I had Phil Crouch at CPC replace the shells on my S54 coupe last year as I had the budget and the opportunity to get it sorted - bought mine at just under 13000 miles in 2009 and had the work done at about 30000.

No indications there was a problem - just figured it got rid of one of big risks. I needn't have worried in my case - I still have the old shells and the only marks on them are from where Phil took them out - but it's done now and I can just worry about the boot falling out like everyone else .

Read up on all the threads here and elsewhere about re-using the old bolts - I went with replacement ARP ones after deliberation.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

'Yadi wrote:re-using the old bolts
:head: :head: :head: :head: :head:
Pingu
Southcoaster

M roadster S54

Post by Southcoaster »

'Yadi wrote: but it's done now and I can just worry about the boot falling out like everyone else .
Hi Yadi,

I was under the impression that the S54 did not suffer from "the boot falling out" I thought that BMW had made alterations and improved the construction of the chassis/shell/subframe/whatever for the latter/S54 engined vehicles?

Southcoaster
'Yadi

M coupe S54

Post by 'Yadi »

pingu wrote:
'Yadi wrote:re-using the old bolts
:head: :head: :head: :head: :head:
:) Just to be clear - I researched and took advice from the engineering types I know, and my preferred mechanic advised replacement with ARP bolts before I'd even raised that as a discussion point for the work. There were plenty arguing the BMW line as well and other members here have followed that guidance instead. You pays your money..etc.

Discussed at some length here on another forum
http://z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.ph ... lls&page=4
'Yadi

M coupe S54

Post by 'Yadi »

Southcoaster wrote:
'Yadi wrote: but it's done now and I can just worry about the boot falling out like everyone else .
Hi Yadi,

I was under the impression that the S54 did not suffer from "the boot falling out" I thought that BMW had made alterations and improved the construction of the chassis/shell/subframe/whatever for the latter/S54 engined vehicles?

Southcoaster
Hi Southcoaster,
I believe the subframe is a little stronger on the later model but still not immune from the problem. I'm not a traffic light dragster racedriver so should be ok
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

Take a look on the z4-forum.com and there's virtually no mention of this problem in the Z4 MC and MR fitted with the same S54 engine but with revised (uprated) conrods, bearing shells and conrod bolts.
Last edited by exdos on Sun 12 Feb, 2012 18:58, edited 1 time in total.
Southcoaster

M roadster S54

Post by Southcoaster »

Hi Exdos,

The problem only related to a batch of engines produced in 2001 which were fitted to E46 M3s and late e36/7 Z3Ms. The issue was sorted before the production of the E85/6 Z4M

Mine has now been fitted with ARP bolts and new shells.

Southcoaster
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

Southcoaster wrote:Hi Exdos,

The problem only related to a batch of engines produced in 2001 which were fitted to E46 M3s and late e36/7 Z3Ms. The issue was sorted before the production of the E85/6 Z4M

Mine has now been fitted with ARP bolts and new shells.

Southcoaster
I know, my 2002 S54 M Coupe suffered BS failure at 33k miles in 2009 and BMW gave me a new short engine as goodwill. My new engine has all the upgraded internals, the same as in the Z4 MC