What is a an S54 with 57k on the clock worth?

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
shantybeater

Porsche

What is a an S54 with 57k on the clock worth?

Post by shantybeater »

Morning all,

I'm reaching an age where marriage and kids are a few years away (can't hold off any longer!), I love the Z3M to bits but my moment to buy something truly stupid whilst i'm still young is closing.

So my question is, what would you value my car at? The mods would have to come off (as they are worth far more on their own). Details:

02 plate S54 - Titanium silver with red/black interior
Just turned 57K
Full service history with recent Insp I carried out
Bearing shell recall carried out
Recent respray of front end (although already a handful of stone chips :( )
Changes I wouldn't take off:
- H&R coilovers with CSL rear top mounts
- Sound system upgrade with custom subwoofer
- Storm Motorwerks bits

Struts, Flippers, ACS hoops, wheels, probably xenon headlights, tailpipes would all turnback to standard/come off

I would probably offer the car as it is for a cheaper price than the upgrades are worth (it would be a shame to split) but I get the feeling it would limit my target audience more? (and bump up the price significantly) I looked at a car on friday and just for pure curiosity I asked what trade in price I would get - the guy couldn't value it because no S54's are currently on the market - he said he'd offer 8k to cover his back (with all the bits off).
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: What is a an S54 with 57k on the clock worth?

Post by Jonttt »

I think £8k as a trade in is not bad but as always is the difference between what you are paying and what trade in you get thats important ie its no good getting £2k more trade in than you thought if they car you are buying is £3k more than it should be.

As with any rare car its hard to price and to me a lot depends on how quickly you need to sell.

Personally I think £10k is a nice round number with £12k for everything left on but it you need to sell then it could be a grand less.

For what its worth I know what you mean with reasons to wanting to change but as another perspective (because I've been there) you could keep the Z3 and run it as a second car in a few years. The depreciation you would loose on a "stupid" car would probably pay for the Z3 ;-) and you would always have the option to sell the luxury of a 2 seater second car for cash which you don't with money already lost to depreciation. This of course is based on the assumption that S54 Z3m will hardly drop much in value over the next 3 to 5 years :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Cheers for the feedback Jon,

I know what you are saying about depreciation, in theory the replacement is unlikely to drop either (Although running costs will be higher), infact I discussed the very car with you at Silverstone albeit the older model than the one you want! The arguement to hold on to a 2 seater as a second car is what's led me to this point. My girlfriend has the economical daily grind and I barely use mine, its now become a hobby car only tucked away in the garage which opens up the avenue of having something really silly. The Z3M is almost too good at the day to day stuff!

I was thinking around 10k-10.5k without the bits, the more I think about it the more I know the best thing to do is split it if i do sell, just swapping the wheels & hoops would fill the price gap

Problem is its such a good car and its been so good to me :( This is why i've owned it for a much longer period than usual
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

James, you'vre said it yourself "you love the Z3M to bits" that says it all, sell in haste, regret at leisure.

Been through this with my Z3, OK its only a 1.9 but have spent a bob or two on it and looked after it and have had thoughts of getting other cars but I know I would regret selling it and someone else will be enjoying the fruits of your labour. With your Zed the appeal is its rarity which will increase as years pass with values starting to climb to reflect this.

Change the alloys, get a hard top to keep the interest going :wink: This is what I'm planning on doing and getting the Zed out more during the winter as the Z4 will be going nowhere in the snow.....literally!!

Or do like Jon does, keep buying things you will never fit :D :head: Keeps the passion going :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thought it might be one of those.

A lot of car for the money.

I took out one of my bosses toys last week for a day (road legal track prepped GT3 but LHD which he's had for years and its only got 6k on the clock) and its confirmed my ambition to get one as a daily/keeper now I do little miealge (not a GT3, too harsh, 997 turbo would be ideal if the prices drop a little more) so the saving has begun :D but a couple of things I will say:

- running costs are in a different league to the BMW's (not sure about insurance as mine would go on the company account so not an issue for me)
- in a way the Z3m has more of a presence. Porsches in Liverpool are becoming pretty common (I drive into work with at least 3 most mornings). I get more looks when I run around in the Z3m than I did in the Porsche (that may have something to do with the sound though :twisted: )

Is know quite a few people who have had a 911 and then sold them pretty quickly, it filled a dream but once that was ticked off they lost interest.

I can't say anything though as I've had plenty of scratches that needed itching especially at your age :D
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

I know exactly where your coming from shanty..

When I bought the M it was 'the dream car'/toy before a family comes along..

As you probably know I used the M for my wedding car this year, something if possible I would recommend doing :wink:
Even when I eventually sell it I will always have the memory and photos from the big day :D

But for now the Ms staying put..

As for price I would say 10-11k min..
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

if i was in the market for a good M ..its yours i would go for :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Lol I bought a 2 seater sports car and started a family. Am I doing something wrong :oops:
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Thanks for the responses, alot of good points mentioned. I'm going to sleep on it tonight and decide where to go from here.

If i do decide to sell i'll stick the parts up on the website to give forum members first refusal.
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Surely if you buy a 911 you'll be bored :( no modding, no long nights searching eBay.
Driven a 911 GT3 and it was alright, 911 turbo not bad either but can't believe you'll spend your weekends drilling your Porsche headlights to fit xenons etc and that's half the fun of z3 ownership :D
Keep it, you know you want too!
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

^^^ what he said :D

And use it for your wedding car :lol:

Modern porkers do nothing for me.

If your board i`ll do you a deal on my evolve tuned M 8-)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

It would be a shame to sell such a nice car! I have always wanted a 911 turbo but now I have the m and my wife has a Boxster I want one a lot less. The running costs and I think more the 'potential' costs are greater but as they say, you only live once.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

shanty, id have a 911 turbo, thats the only car id swap for.

badman

The 'BEAST' 666
Hylts

M roadster S54

Post by Hylts »

Made it up to Gaydon late yesterday in my S54 and asked the bmw dealer guys for a quick ballpark valuation on mine as having some faint similar thoughts.
Being sporty i've always ran another vehicle for carrying surfboards/mountain bikes etc over the last ten years - so just having some thoughts on consolidating into one vehicle and what vehicle can give me the power/pleasure of my s54 and practicality for my sporting hobbies - M5 touring comes to mind - no doubt high running costs, havent looked into into it enough to know of any other cons with the m5 touring, are there any... but anyway back to your topic of valuation....

mine is 39.5k miles, 19" haartge classics and acs hoops (both originally fitted before collection), cruise control/side airbags, brand new hood fitted last week, bonus that im the only owner from new - the dealer at gaydon confirmed the rarity and was hinting at late teens, possible even into 20 but had to look into the market for s54 more and get back to me, i guess it comes down to finding the right buyer at the right time.

no doubt i will prob find it hard to let go and hang on to it for another ten years 8-)
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Post by offyourmarks »

Are you sure the dealer know it was a roadster?
I'd bet they are getting confused with the Coupe when mentioning figures towards the 20k mark
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

offyourmarks wrote:Are you sure the dealer know it was a roadster?
I'd bet they are getting confused with the Coupe when mentioning figures towards the 20k mark
i agree, more a coupe valuation

The 'BEAST' 666
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

I think £8k is a pretty fair offer as a part ex..
If it was that easy I might swop mine for an Alpina Z4! :D - although her indoors wouldnt be happy.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

There is no way I would even consider selling mine for anything like £8K
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Had a test drive this evening and loved the car..but i'm still unsure, got in the roadster afterwards and its such a nice car :( I think I will put the car on pistonheads with all upgrades attached and see if I get any interest. I really don't think i could split it or let it go for a silly price after the amount of time and effort thats gone into it!

The pork may have to wait for now..
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

shanty, what did you test drive.

The 'BEAST' 666
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Post by offyourmarks »

Shanty you are on a slippery slope mate - now you are thinking of changing then you are well on the way.

Its probably influenced by you having an S50 before also, almost like you want a change

The 996 turbo is an awesome car
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Downside of modding a car, you will never get much back financially and better off selling some parts seperately, however it can make the car more attractive and saleable,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

offyourmarks wrote:
The 996 turbo is an awesome car
But those fried egg headlights would do my head in :-(
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

They look good in the flesh, It was my main concern but I'm quite sold!

Offyourmarks - you are right I think
tcrichton

M roadster S50

Post by tcrichton »

10-11k I reckon but 8k is pretty fair for a part ex.

Good luck, will be sorry to see the ///M go!

Obviously I'll be happy to help.with the 911.

Tris.
1998 M roadster (S50) - Progress thread - Wiki (guides etc...)
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Cheers bro :)
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

If it helps to what has already been said I picked up my S54 about 3 months ago - the only one I have seen on the market in that time. Estoril blue and pretty standard. New clutch + braided hose, reasonably new hood, near new tyres, recent front brakes. Only thing I have had to do since getting it is rear top mounts. Also have original supplied hard top. Unknown if bearing shells have been attended to (so probably not).

Don't mind saying that it cost me 9k all in.

The challenge as you all know is the rarity - you need a buyer that knows which I am guessing don't come along too often. When you see an s50 which looks (virtually) identical, with virtually same power etc on Pistonheads for 5k...
2001 Z3M S54 LB64010 #10/73
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Thanks for the input. To be honest I won't let it go for under 10k (which would be silly cheap imo), the sheer amount of work which has gone into it means it should be trouble free for some time.

What mileage was yours? I assume it was a decent amount higher than mine otherwise you bagged a huge bargain.

As for the s50 for 5k, it is clearly not one to value an s50 by, its been for sale for ages meanwhile higher mileage cars have sold for 7-9k. I can see your point regarding s50/s54, I'm sure it will take longer to sell but I'm in no rush now
M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

Having seen James M in the flesh this week I can confidently say you will struggle to find a cleaner, more looked after example. It's a credit to him 8-)
2006 Lotus Exige S
2006 535d M-Sport Touring (the Missus car)
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

Mine had 88k on it when I bought it - full SH. I think I did alright - not a monster bargain but pretty good.
2001 Z3M S54 LB64010 #10/73
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

M@r]{ wrote:Having seen James M in the flesh this week I can confidently say you will struggle to find a cleaner, more looked after example. It's a credit to him 8-)
Thanks mate it was nice to meet you, I have been looking at exige's as well now :s

Gooseacre wrote:Mine had 88k on it when I bought it - full SH. I think I did alright - not a monster bargain but pretty good.
Still a good price at 9k I'd say, Welcome to the club :)