New M-Roadster & Wheel Refurbishment Quote - Views?

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
4pipesalute

M roadster S50

New M-Roadster & Wheel Refurbishment Quote - Views?

Post by 4pipesalute »

Hi,

I have just brought a T-Reg M Roadster (Estoril Blue) from a genuiely lovely couple in Oxford. It was stored in a garage in the centre of Oxford under a car cover (bliss!!!)
The car has done a seemingly genuine 25k miles from new and owned by the same family since 2000! Well documented full history, lots of paperwork and some SORN hsitory when stored in the New Forrest. I am over the moon, having owned one of these cars circa 8 years ago, it is so great having such a great example back in the stable! The seats are like new and car is in great condition - such a great example and I feel privileged to be the next owner... I am storing her away in the garage for cherished days out! The bodywork is fantastic, but only issue is the wheels need refurbishing due to some curbing and general ageing. I want them concorse and restored in BMW/OEM 'Shadow Chrome' finish.

I was told by a 'M5Board' Forum member that "Rimstock" in Birminham are exceptional at this (I know Lepsons/Kent are supposed to be v good too) and I have received the follwoing quote, but it seems steep - what is the view of those 'in the know'?
I have received the following quote from Rimstock to restore my allow wheels for my M-Roadster in 'shadow chrome' finish. (1 wheel needs welding due to heavier curbing of the edge - no cracks/significant damage; just deeper scrape)

Morning,

I agree that only one wheel looks as if it will require welding, however until they are all stripped back to bare metal I cannot be totally sure of that.
All our prices are plus VAT, collection & redelivery is £40.00

The prices Quoted on the M5 board are out of date now by 3 years
Total price to you:-
Wheels refurb £310.00
Tyrestrip (as supplied withb tyres) £30.00
Carriage £40.00
VAT £76.00

Total cost to you £456.00
Best regards Debbie
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Re: New M-Roadster & Wheel Refurbishment Quote - Views?

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

These guys did a stunning job on my white wheels ( ///M roadstars)

On my phone now but if you do a search you'll find a pic or two.

http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/

Was less than £200 powder coated, picked up (from my local garAge) and dropped back
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

BVJ work here at bottom of page 2 of my progress thread

http://zroadster.org/forum/threads/spur ... 370/page-2
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
4pipesalute

M roadster S50

Post by 4pipesalute »

Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated. Personally, i want to keep it standard and I think the 'shadow chrome' (if done properly) is not such a simple process... This is reflected by the prices demanded for doing the shadow chrome refurb as long as it is done properly of course.(in my opinion). How to ensure that 'it is done properly' is not so easy I admit...(Good faith??)

This 'rave' review (see link below) of Rimstock made me think they really know how do do the Shadow Chrome finish properly... Maybe the price is a reflection of that? (Quality maybe worth paying for?????)

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5 ... ction.html
4pipesalute

M roadster S50

Post by 4pipesalute »

Note: I am also seeking a quote for 2 car sets to be refurbished from WheelRefurbing. I will let you all know the price they come back with...

Here details their process which seems to be convincing that they know their stuff. I have asked specifically about Shadow Chrome.
http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk/OLDSITE/process.htm

:rtm:
tribbster

M roadster S50

Post by tribbster »

You could try Wheelworx at fordingbridge, I think they charge £65 per wheel including stripping,
obviously not far from the new forest, they might be worth visiting to take a look at their processes and examples of their workmanship
http://www.wheelworx.biz
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

Couple of years back I had the 19 inch rims on my E46 M3 refurbed and shadow chromed by Lepsons in Swindon (not hugely far from the New Forest). Came to around £85 per wheel if memory serves.
1999 black M Roadster, AC Schnitzer hoops & Type III wheels.
4pipesalute

M roadster S50

Post by 4pipesalute »

Thanks for all input, wheels finally went of to Lepsons in Kent and car is on axle stands.
Excited to receive back wheels next week done in Silver Chrome. (Original S50 B32 model wheel colour)
Somewhere between £450 and 500 all in, but you get what you pay forI believe. Lepsons are very familiar with this wheel and finish which is highly reassuring.
zederbee

M roadster S50

Post by zederbee »

If the Kent guys do as good a job as the Swindon boys did on my M3 wheels you will not be disappointed.

Finish seems to last well too... 2 years on and still looking good as new.
1999 black M Roadster, AC Schnitzer hoops & Type III wheels.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

With a little negotiating input from someone on here I've had mine done at Rimstock. Collected today after just over 3 weeks away and I'm very happy with them. Shadow chrome has come out better than I thought it would.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."