I Own BMW Z3M Roadster (Old Top Gear 1998) Need More Info??

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Cloneyburn

M roadster S54

I Own BMW Z3M Roadster (Old Top Gear 1998) Need More Info??

Post by Cloneyburn »

I am looking for information on my car I have been informed it's the original car that was road tested by Tiff Needal on Top Gear in 1998 (You Tube BMW Z3M Roadster V TVR). My car was registered in the UK 8/1/1998 the car belonged to BMW who loaned the car to Top Gear, I have been informed that BMW requested that the number plate prefix be changed by a digit as the BMW was being driven by one of there Directors and BMW requested they use a different prefix, Top Gear changed a digit on the car from R409 VJB to R404 VJB reason for this was R404 VJB wasn't a registered plate and never has ever been assigned to a BMW vehicle or any vehicl for that matter, R4-- VJB prefix has been assigned to other BMW's but none have been assigned to BMW Z3M Roadster, having spoken to the BBC they said the Top Gear program had been filmed in January 1998. I am currently restoring my Z3M Roadster to her former glory and I would be interested in hearing from anyone who could assist me with information on her history. She was owned by BMW (GB) Dealer Number No: 80210 between 7/1/1998 - 19/12/1998 mileage covered 6,685 miles, any information to confirm that this defiantly was the car on Top Gear in 1998 would be good news, thanks for your assistance.

She's a 1998 Estoril Blue BMW Z3M Roadster Registration R409 VJB
Boysie

M roadster S50

Re: I Own BMW Z3M Roadster (Old Top Gear 1998) Need More Inf

Post by Boysie »

It could be an urban myth
but I thought Tiff Needel owned the car that was being used in the programme
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

Think that Tiff's was supposed to be the silver one he did the doughnuts and power slides in (W reg, all black interior), but then again that might be rubbish as well
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

It was the one he did the doughnuts in
I don't remember the colour though
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Doughnuts were done in a silver ///M
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Cloneyburn

M roadster S54

Post by Cloneyburn »

The BMW Z3M Roadster was road tested by Tiff Needal back in 1998 was Estoril Blue, it was being road tested against TVR, you can find the clip on youtube. I have since found out that I do own the original car that was road tested by Tiff Needel, the Z3M was owned by BMW GB and it was loaned to Top Gear in January 1998, the actual program aired on the BBC in March 1998, BMW have confirmed that it was my actual car that was used and have also sent me a letter to confirm this. Good to know I own a slice of history, the Z3M Roadster is currently being restored by me and I hope to have her back on the road in restored condition next year.
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Very cool - I find it kind of amazing that this particular car is still around. In general, it'd be nice to know how many Z3Ms in total have survived all these years, but that's a bit off-topic.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the car from, and what needs doing? I'm guessing it hasn't been treated awfully well, as you mentioned "restoring" and "back on the road next year". :D

A restoration journal would be awesome! :)
Cloneyburn

M roadster S54

Post by Cloneyburn »

Hello, as it happens there's not great deal that needs doing the engine is running sweet as a nut, when I bought her she had little service history but I did some detective work by contacting BMW directly who were able to trace the car on there system, I then contacted the individual BMW garages who were able to assist me by confirming what work had been carried out and what had been replaced by all the garages she visited since 1998, I was further helped by the BMW garages when they emailed me work reports detailing that most of the work carried-out was warranty work. What the car needs is tlc at some point in her life her OEM bumpers front & rear along with her side skirts were removed and replaced with after market boy racer ones, I have managed to locate OEM Z3M front & rear bumper which once sprayed will be going back on her, I need to locate the side skirts, the interior carpet is ruined because some maniac glued a hideous custom M carpet to her original carpet, I am sure it looked great once but it looks rubbish now, so I am trying to source a complete interior carpet for her. The connection to the Top Gear was confirmed by previous owners but I put on my detective cap and was able to trace her origins back to BMW GB, they confirmed my Z3M Roadster was the very first imported into the UK from Carolina USA, she came to the UK in late 1997 and was 1st registered to BMW GB on 1st January 1998. BMW have confirmed to me in writing that my Z3M was in fact the one road tested by Tiff Needal in 1998 alongside a TVR Chimaera in Top Gear in 1998, a clip of this can be seen on youtube.
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

That's very cool. Re. service history recovery, I am just about to do the same thing, I opened a topic for it in the weekend:
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=39233

Anyway, keep us updated on your progress, and upload some photos! :wink:
yellow

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yellow »

hello reading through old post on early bmw z3m roadster top gear
looking to establish earliest vin numbers in uk
please send pm or post any info
yamsel1

M roadster S50

Post by yamsel1 »

Hello all
I was interested to read your post on early ZM's
I own an early M roadster. it was built in November 1997 and I presume, also a BMW owned car with the registration number R180VJB
It is in Cosmos black with red/black interior.
Regards
Les
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

Great to hear the first UK registerted ZM is still running. I own a very early LHD M roadster. It was built on Feb 21 1997 and was sent to Germany before the official world press launch and was a demonstrator for a BMW main agent in Fulda.
It is Cosmos black with red/black interior and with a manual roof. It has now 154000 Km on the clock and it is still going strong.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Hi, the car is now in my possession - she's a dream and my daily drive...

@yellow... how come the interest? what have you got?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I read through this and without noticing the dates of the posts thought that there cannot be two ///Ms with aftermarket carpets stuck over the original!!! Because bertiejaffa has one too. Now I have looked at the dates of the posts it all makes sense:)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Brian H wrote:I read through this and without noticing the dates of the posts thought that there cannot be two ///Ms with aftermarket carpets stuck over the original!!! Because bertiejaffa has one too. Now I have looked at the dates of the posts it all makes sense:)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

Small world..

I won some tickets to Top Gear Live back around '98 or 99 and in the arena part of it, someone was looning around in an M roadster. I've just found a pic I took of it and find that it is an Estoril M Roadster reg R404 VJB driven by someone looking like Tiff. If I can remember how to post pics, I'll put it up here.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

davieb wrote: If I can remember how to post pics, I'll put it up here.
Host the pics on sites like photobucket, Flickr etc. and then copy the links to this thread :)