Fire under glovebox

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Fire under glovebox

Post by Sailorbaz »

Hey guys,

New to the Z3/M Roadster scene but not BMW. Have had 2 E36 M3's previously and currently own an E46 M3 CSL and an E90 M3.

My Dad bought an 1998 Z3M Roadster in Estoril Blue back in 2000 that had suffered a fire under the glovebox. It has since sat in storage and I'm keen to dig it out and get it on the road for the summer.

I'm currently offshore at the moment, but trying to get as much information and knowledge together as possible to help me when it comes to digging the girl out. As I said, it suffered a fire under the glovebox and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what is under there. If it's the same as E36/E46/E90 3 series stuff, then it's most likely ECU and other important wiring stuff... Fuse box?

Until I get the dashboard out, I won't know how deep the damage is but any help, photos of cars with gloveboxes, dashboards out, would be greatly appreciated.

I've used the search function since I'm familiar with forums with having the M3's and the problems that come with them and all things BMW really.

Thanks in advance,
Barry
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Fire under glovebox

Post by bertiejaffa »

There's not much under the centre console, just a small CPU tyoe unit.... Take the trim off and you will/xee
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

The engine ECU is not in there - its in the engine bay. You have the immobiliser in there and i think the airbag module. Maybe another too. If the immobiliser is gone its either ££ to replace or i think there are ways to remove EWS. Internet search pulls lots of info on that.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Obviously not too many have looked under the "glovebox"... There's heaps of stuff back there! If you remove the G/box completely, you will find several electronics "boxes" housed behind there...and piles of wiring....it is essentially located directly below the main fusebox in the engine bay, so that is the area where all the wiring loom goes through the bulkhead. If, as I suspect, the fire was caused by an electrical fault, you may be looking for a new wiring harness, plus any other damaged items such as the airbag, etc. Wiring harness may be available from a breaker or even eBay. But until you establish the extent of the damage it's all speculation.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Jonco

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Jonco »

Southernboy wrote:... There's heaps of stuff back there! If you remove the G/box completely, you will find several electronics "boxes" housed behind there...and piles of wiring....it is essentially located directly below the main fusebox in the engine bay, so that is the area where all the wiring loom goes through the bulkhead.........
Agreed - this a photo of a '98 1.9 with glovebox removed to give you an idea of what's in there. The M will be different and no doubt more complicated but for info the box on the left is the ABS control the one at the top is the EWS. Image
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I think that all the boxes under the glovebox are replaceable from salvage. Judging by your garage you are not short of a bob or two, but any of those boxes direct from BMW will be >£1000. Salvage will be circa £100.

The immobiliser box from a salvage will need to be recoded to the key. This is a DIY with a paperclip.

How you want to repair the wiring is determined by how professional you want to be. Ideally, you would use a new section of loom, but this will probably involve a major strip down as electrics are one of the first things to be fitted at the factory.

We really need pictures of the damage to help you further, but I can assure you that the help is here :D .
Pingu
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Under the glovebox you will find the ZKE unit which does central locking, windows, alarm (if not in a separate module) and crash sensor outputs.
The main wiring busbar from underneath the fuses box
Window wiper module
Cruise control module (if fitted)
Separate alarm module (if not built into ZKE unit).

the EWS immobiliser unit is on the right hand side of the car under and to the left of the light switch.
Airbag module is under the centre console

Well thats if the M-roadster is the same as all non m models I have worked on

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

pingu wrote: The immobiliser box from a salvage will need to be recoded to the key. This is a DIY with a paperclip.
I didn't know that. I always thought EWS had to be realigned with the ECU electronically. What's the procedure?
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
pingu wrote: The immobiliser box from a salvage will need to be recoded to the key. This is a DIY with a paperclip.
I didn't know that. I always thought EWS had to be realigned with the ECU electronically. What's the procedure?
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... key#p39093
Pingu
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

Bloody hell, fantastic response guys, thank you very much.

I look forward to getting her out and taking more photos to see where we're actually at.

Regarding the fire, I believe that first owner had a 'Mickey mouse' alarm fitted, incorrectly which resulted in the fire. I'm fully prepared to strip it right back to multiplugs etc since not overly keen on splicing but will see.

Will keep you all posted and of course, take loads of photos.
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Here's another photo (from my 1998 Z3M):

The silver box on the left is the ABS unit. Behind that, the black rounded rectangle is where the wiring comes through the firewall from the fusebox. On the right, you see some black air ducts. Under the end of the carpet, between carpet and firewall, is a VERY thick bunch of wires.

Luckily many parts are shared with lesser Z3s or other BMWs of the era. If there is a reasonable amount of damage, IMHO it would be worth buying a donor Z3 for most parts, and either replace the damaged bits of the harness with good bits from donor car (a lot of soldering and might require some colour mapping if they don't match), or buy a complete Z3M harness. If only little damage, ebay is your friend. :) E.g. ABS, alarm and cruise control modules are used on many BMWs, not just Z3s.

Now thinking about it, you can probably get a Z3 for less than a grand, or even way less. Take the parts you need and sell the rest of the car in parts, and you'll probably make more money than you paid for the whole car in the first place. :)

Good luck, and remember - photos of the progress are mandatory! :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...and being an M car...I might suggest you have a look on eBay ...there's an M coupe currently being broken...search "bmw z3 M coupe complete interioir"..you'll find the seller...he may sell you the complete harness... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

pingu wrote:
BladeRunner919 wrote:
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... key#p39093
Ah, that's for the alarm. I thought you meant the immobiliser.
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

Thanks again for all the replies.

Have messaged that guy with the M Coupe about his harness and possibly the modules but not going to pull the trigger until I've got the car home and stripped. I'd love to buy a doner car but I have a couple of issues, one being I don't have anywhere to keep it really. I could leave it on the wife's family farm but that would mean an 8 mile round trip everytime inwanted to compare anything.

Will see what comes back. Can't wait to get my teeth stuck in now, will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Barry
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Good luck with the project, and look forward to seeing it back on the road sooner than later... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"