All comments welcome.

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Tilly

M roadster S50

All comments welcome.

Post by Tilly »

I would welcome any comments from members on the following situation.

My car is currently having an overhaul. I have to rely on expert help since I don’t have the skills, tools or manual dexterity to do the work myself.
In the initial overhaul inspection at 142,418 Km it was recorded that there was a bad oil leak from the Vanos unit and the cam cover gaskets are leaking. I had notice oil and asked them to check.

Let’s go back to June 2010 when the car went into different garage from the one doing the current overhaul. It went in for an inspection 1 with 122,511 Km on the clock. When it went to the garage there were no engine oil leaks. The garage was also advised to investigate a lumpy idle. Six valve shims were quite tight which could have caused a lumpy idle and valve clearances were adjusted as part of service. It was advised that
“two cam cover threads had been partially stripped because the cam cover had been possibly over tightened.”
A new cam cover gasket was fitted and tightened and no oil leak was detected. No further recommendation was made.
Next day after testing lumpy idle still there. Vacuum systems checked and idle control valve replaced.
Still lumpy idle inlet camshaft sensory replaced 123,762 Km.
Still lumpy idle at 124,222Km and a possible faulty Vanos unit was identified. It was removed and seals replaced.
Inspection 11 and still engine not picking up properly.130,330 Km.
Vanos checked again and exhaust pushrod in Vanos broken. New Vanos fitted. No oil leaks
Several months’ later major Vanos growl and new gear shafts fitted.
The car was now running well with no Vanos noise. However, I noticed a slight oil leak from the front of engine. I initially wondered if when fitting gears some oil had been spilt. I therefore steam cleaned the front of the engine and the under trays. A few weeks later I noticed oil drips again. I then repeated the clean but oil leak still present.
All the above work from June 2010 was carried by a single garage.
If we move on to today. I received a video conformation on the leaks. Vanos seal leaking and 9 cam cover bolts were stripped, a couple completely, and sealant had been applied to enable them to be tightened.
I put a call into the service manager of the garage who had carried out all work on the car up to the current overhaul and he rang me back. I told him the issue and he immediately replied, without apparently checking any records, that they had previously reported stripped cam cover bolts. I them sent him the video and said that the car could be inspected if he would like to see it. He again phoned back and his comments were: it is an old car; they had only carried out the work over four years and didn’t service the car prior to that; they had initially reported two bolts had been partially stripped. I was informed the garage employs competent mechanics and in addition these bolts are notoriously fragile. I agreed but said that my real issue was that rather than admitting a mistake had happened the problem had been covered up with sealant. But they reported the stripped cam cover gaskets he repeated. Only two, I replied, four years ago and they were the only people to work on the car up to the oil leak and the current inspection. Just one of those things with an old car came the reply.
I would appreciate and members comments on the above situation. If you need any clarification, please ask a question and I will try and answer. I am not looking for any compensation I just want to get to the bottom of this issue and identify any incompetence and see when and where it occurred.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: All comments welcome.

Post by Southernboy »

From your account, it seems the damage to threads can be comfortably attributed to the initial service outlet, even though at that time they suggested 2 threads were stripped. The possibility existes they were being 1/2 honest and may have been responsible for stripping those initial 2 threads. At subsequent services, they managed to strip a few more and decided they would simply "stick" the cover down.... Professional mechanics would have used "helicoils" inserted into the stripped thread holes and replaced the bolts as a precautionary to any stripping of those threads. It's a simple,economic and effective method in common use by mechanics here. First prize would have been for them to drill and re-thread the holes, and fit oversize new bolts.
In terms of your description it seems to me that thankfully you no longer support them, and not too soon. Their responses to you suggest they are abdicating responsibility and quite glibly too. You can waste your energy feeling aggrieved by their arrogant attitude, or give the new serviceman the full account, so that he understands that you aren't ignorant, and you will hold him accountable for his workmanship.....
Pursuing the "ex" is a brick wall. If you feel justified in "naming and shaming" why not alert others to the treatment they might receive there... Facebook is useful.....:wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

Southernboy wrote:From your account, it seems the damage to threads can be comfortably attributed to the initial service outlet, even though at that time they suggested 2 threads were stripped. The possibility existes they were being 1/2 honest and may have been responsible for stripping those initial 2 threads. At subsequent services, they managed to strip a few more and decided they would simply "stick" the cover down.... Professional mechanics would have used "helicoils" inserted into the stripped thread holes and replaced the bolts as a precautionary to any stripping of those threads. It's a simple,economic and effective method in common use by mechanics here. First prize would have been for them to drill and re-thread the holes, and fit oversize new bolts.
In terms of your description it seems to me that thankfully you no longer support them, and not too soon. Their responses to you suggest they are abdicating responsibility and quite glibly too. You can waste your energy feeling aggrieved by their arrogant attitude, or give the new serviceman the full account, so that he understands that you aren't ignorant, and you will hold him accountable for his workmanship.....
Pursuing the "ex" is a brick wall. If you feel justified in "naming and shaming" why not alert others to the treatment they might receive there... Facebook is useful.....:wink:
Thanks for the reply. The new garage is going to insert helicoils and replace the bolts because in their experience rather than drilling and rethreading, the former option is stronger. They discussed the options fully with me As you say pursuing ex is a waste of time and I have more important things to do with my life. Again I am not going to name and shame but I will say that one of the garages is a BMW main agent.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

If one of the garages is a main dealer then I would at least put your experience down on paper and send to BMW UK for comment.
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

There's nothing wrong with naming and shaming, just make sure you include the full facts from both sides.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

Ian_C wrote:If one of the garages is a main dealer then I would at least put your experience down on paper and send to BMW UK for comment.
I am writing to one of the directors of the company listing the details so they can conduct an internal enquiry if they choose. I want nothing else to do with them.
There's nothing wrong with naming and shaming, just make sure you include the full facts from both sides.
I have provided information whilst keeping the anonymity of the groups. Since I cannot prove conclusively who is to blame I have to let the readers come to their own conclusions on where the circumstantial evidence points. As I have said above, one of the groups will no longer get my business or recommendation.
Tilly

M roadster S50

Post by Tilly »

Further update under 18 year check