Wheels and tyres

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Jewell

M roadster S50

Wheels and tyres

Post by Jewell »

I'm looking for a set of OEM wheels for my car. If I find some what tyres should I buy. Are S50 wheels the same spec as the S54 pretty please? I know I could do some research but who wants to spend such a beautiful day sat at a computer. Thanks guys :P
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: Wheels and tyres

Post by Gazza »

The S50 and S54 wheels are the same spec except for the finish, S50 being Silver and S54 being Shadow Chrome.

I believe tyres are very important choice, I prefer Michelin Pilot Sport II's but they are becoming harder to find.

There are several threads about tyre choice on the Forum, don't buy budget tyres for a performance car, your life could depend on it.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Jewell

M roadster S50

Post by Jewell »

Thank you Gazza that helps a lot and explains the shadow ones on eBay at the mo. I fully agree with you, cheap tyres are a killer - I'll look through the old threads about what to buy when the sun goes down 8-) You still wearing the jodhs? :wink:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Jewell wrote: You still wearing the jodhs? :wink:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Oh the thought :lol:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

there are a couple of sets of reconditioned M wheels on ebay at the moment.
Jewell

M roadster S50

Post by Jewell »

Wheels purchased and in for a refurb. They are waiting for me to choose tyres. After reading all the forums have almost decided on Pilot Sport 3 -PS3. Any comment? I did I read somewhere you would go back to Falkens . .
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I managed to get PS2's, excellent tyre.

Had I not managed to get PS2's I would have gone to PS3's

Whatever tyres you get, they will need at least 250 miles to 'scrub' in.
Gazza

ImageImage
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

Gazza wrote:I managed to get PS2's, excellent tyre.

Had I not managed to get PS2's I would have gone to PS3's

Whatever tyres you get, they will need at least 250 miles to 'scrub' in.
i can't comment about PS3s on the Zed but i am running them on my Impreza and they are the best tyres i have ever used.
they have phenomenal grip in the dry or wet and have done from the day they were fitted. the road noise has been greatly reduced and i seem to be getting approx 5mpg more than on my old Avon ZZ5s.
Jewell

M roadster S50

Post by Jewell »

I'm overjoyed . . . referb OEM wheels and tyres now on Trojan. First time out, on slightly damp greasy road with new tyres and he handled beautifully :roflmao: Decided on a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 in the end - well a girl is allowed to change her mind :oops: So, I have a set of worn (but legal) tyres off the M wheels and a set of 19" wheels with hardly worn tyres to sell - I'll put the details up shortly.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Don't forget to post pics of the car with the refurbed wheels :wink:
Gazza

ImageImage
Jewell

M roadster S50

Post by Jewell »

Yep can do but it will just look like a bog-standard Z3M now - which is how I wanted it. Too old to be a boy-racer :lol:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Jewell wrote: it will just look like a bog-standard Z3M now
That's the best "look" in my view. :)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Jewell wrote:Yep can do but it will just look like a bog-standard Z3M now - which is how I wanted it. Too old to be a boy-racer :lol:

Never too old to be a Boy/Girl Racer :lol:
Gazza

ImageImage