Dashboard plastic cover replace

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
elwood158

M roadster S50

Dashboard plastic cover replace

Post by elwood158 »

Hey guys,
Just wondering if you know if the clear plastic cover over the main cluster/dials (speedo revs, petrol, temp) can be removed/replaced without having to open the dash or remove/replace the whole cluster...? (I've a 1999 S50 M). If so, can you just buy that clear cover? Everything is working but my plastic cover is marked and cracked... I've looked on an online catalogue but they seem to only sell the whole cluster... and its costs a motsa!!

Thanks for any help,

Elwood
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Dashboard plastic cover replace

Post by Southernboy »

You can buy a 2nd hand one off eBay... the cluster is not a part of the perspex window, so you can remove the cluster from the replacement part and fit your existing cluster to the front piece. If you remove your cluster, you will see several torx drive screws on the back of the cluster which when removed will separate the parts... :wink:

Here is a link to an image which has the screw positions highlighted in yellow...
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techart ... ic3-01.jpg
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

You have to remove the cluster to remove the plastic lens cover thing, even then you have to replace the shroud and all.

I replaced mine from a standard E36 cluster as one of the tabs were broke holding it in place, and looked unsightly. I have the old one at home lying in the garage you're welcome to if you pay for the postage.

Offshore at the moment but can help when I get home in a fortnight.
elwood158

M roadster S50

Post by elwood158 »

Guys.... thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay in responding.

I'm not technical so removing the cluster myself is unfortunately not an option but appreciate the insight southernboy as I like to understand detail which hopefully helps me talk slightly intelligently when I speak to my mechanic... (instead of a complete idiot) !

Sailorbaz, you say the tabs broken... but the plastic cover is ok? Happy to pay postage but if I give it to my mechanic he'll have to remove the cluster to replace the cover, right? Is it finicky work? He might stuff more things up? If its easy, maybe worth doing but if wiring needs to come apart, its tricky, I may just leave it.... what do you guys reckon?

El
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Removing the cluster is dead easy. The workshop manual says to remove the steering wheel, but it's do-able without removing it. The steering wheel cowl just behind the steering wheel is made in 2 halves. Each half has a plastic self tapping thype screw towards the floor end. They atually actuate an expanding rivet type fitting in their holes as they are screwed in. The two halves of the cowling then can be separated and removed. You can actually leave the lower half in place too.
Now, there are 2 small torx drive screws fitted through two "ears" on the underside of the cluster housing. Remove those 2 screws, and then pull the cluster towards you and out... There are 3 electronics wiring loom fittings plugged into the back of the cluster. BLUE / BLACK and WHITE multi pin plugs - their reciprocal positions on the cluster are colour coded respectively so you can't mix them up. Disconnect the 3 loom plugs, and the cluster is now free of all attachments to the car.
From what I've described above, you will understand how simple and quick it is to remove... literally 5 minutes.... You can now also estimate the "time charge" from your mechanic.
Dismantling the cluster to replace the front perspex window may take 10 minutes and which I described with the link to the picture high lighting the screws on the back of the cluster,and then another 5 minutes to re-fit it to the car. Once they are removed, the back of the cluster can be removed, exposing 3 twist lock fittings which require a 1/2 to 3/4 turn to unlock the cluster face from the rest of the cluster front section which has the perspex window.
Entire procedure :- 1/2 hour tops if like me, you know exactly what is to be done at each step... maybe 45 minutes for a novice mechanic.... :wink:
Last edited by Southernboy on Sun 13 Sep, 2015 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
elwood158

M roadster S50

Post by elwood158 »

Cheers mate, that helps a lot. With info like that I may even try it myself!! (now that's a scary thought)

Well, as you suggested I might try and source a local standard z3 2nd hand cluster if not too pricey.... Unless I hear back from sailorbaz with a gleaming account of his spare cluster. If no reply, I'll try PM him later on....

Thnaks again,

Elwood.
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

You're more than welcome to my cluster, its already in pieces to can send just the cowling if it's in decent enough condition. The tabs I was talking about the wee one's that secure it into the dash at the top, one of mine is broken and I'm unsure as to whether this can be separated from the plastic surround.

As I said, if you can wait a week or so I can mail it to you when I get home.
elwood158

M roadster S50

Post by elwood158 »

yep no rush....
if you thinks its clean and I can attach it ok, let me know when you're back.

Elwood
1999 M Roadster (S50)
Porsche 911 RS hotrod