MAF Sensor on ebay

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
khanage1

M roadster S54

MAF Sensor on ebay

Post by khanage1 »

anybody ever used one of these cheaper oversees sensors? my sensor has had it wondering if it's worth taking a chance with one of these for my s54 z3m?
thoughts....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASS-AIR-FLOW ... SweW5VdEGe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MASS-AIR-FLOW ... 0913338077

thanks
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: MAF Sensor on ebay

Post by Del »

I have only tried a cheapo MAF (the probe only) on a old Nissan Micra that my daughter owned and which was shortly to be changed. Like many modern cars the MAF was integrated into the throttle bottle and was very expensive in OE form – which involved a new throttle body. It was better than the failed original but there was a slight flat spot. Generally my experience with aftermarket engine management sensors (I've also tried aftermarket cam sensors) has been poor and I wouldn’t recommend one on a M car – S54 engine said by some to the one of the best BMW engines ever made. :) In my view, if you want to save money, it is often better to buy a second hand OE one.

I bought a spare, second hand OE MAF for my 1.9 Z3 and it works fine.
zz3po

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by zz3po »

I bought this chineese maf sensor for my 1.8 z3. Car behave really bad. Replaced that with an used oem one... that was far better.
Dont recommend u.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

OEM only. Cheaper MAFs will not measure air flow correctly and in best scenario your car will run slower as it should.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

OEM as it's a critical part of the system.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
khanage1

M roadster S54

Post by khanage1 »

Cheers guys OEM it is. I'm getting myself a few early birthday presents hee hee
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by billysally208 »

Appreciate it's probably a bit late now - but I fitted an aftermarket airmass meter from this Ebay seller on my 1.9 Z - 2 months, and 500 miles on, it is running better than it has ever done and cured the EML that kept on coming on after 60 miles driving from clearing it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291719625904? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Like you I was wary of buying an aftermarket unit but after speaking to the seller thought it was worth giving it a whirl - He did tell me I could return it if I was not 100% happy with it.
khanage1

M roadster S54

Post by khanage1 »

Thanks Billy - got lucky and got a BOSCH one off ebay for £40. Do need a cam sensor now so thinking may try one of these cheaper aftermarket models from ebay - some offer 2 year warranty! Sick of these sensor problems with BMW!
billysally208

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by billysally208 »

Glad your sorted - before buying the MAF sensor I went through the sellers feedback and found three buyers who had given good feedback and sent them a quick message asking how they had gone on with it - 2 of them replied saying that it had worked perfectly, the third didn't reply. Bit of a pain I know but a. I wasn't 100% it was the MAF causing my problem and b. I didn't want to spend the £100 + for a Bosch one.
Most Ebay sellers are pretty good, if you do buy a CPS and it is faulty they will either replace or refund you - if not go to to Ebay open a case and they will usually side with the buyer.