sensor issues

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
khanage1

M roadster S54

sensor issues

Post by khanage1 »

does anyone happen to know of some site that tells you all the different names for sensors! just rang BMW to see if a e46 crank sensor fits a s54 z3m was told that the crank sensor don't exist and to find out the real name of the sensor ! also anyway of knowing when it's the rear or front lambda / oxygen sensor (been told they the same thing ) needs changing as possible solution to the stupid EML limp mode issues. so far changed maf and tps on top of engine and no joy. Pedal sensor beING changed soon too but buying bits and bobs as I go along anyway but impossible to buy without a clear reference of what fits etc as simply cant afford brand new bmw parts at present wah wahhh . dreaded po121 code keeps showing. total new comer to bmw and rather not spend 100000s trying to fix a sensor problem and happy to go at it myself most info on here already apart from some obvious things like my (probably seemingly stupid question to the pros on here).

cheers guys
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: sensor issues

Post by Robert T »

Look at either realoem.com or bmwfans.info. Use the last 7 digits of your VIN to select your exact model. You can then find both the names and part numbers of the sensors. If ordering from BMW, get then to lookup the part numbers and then it is their fault if they order the wrong one. Crank sensor is more usually referred to as the Crankshaft Position Sensor, but may be shown as Pulse Generator on diagrams.

I'm very wary of cheap sensors and people have had problems with both MAF and camshaft sensors.

Cheers R.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Probably front lambda/o2 sensors needs to be changed. Rear ones shouldn't sent engine to limp mode.
khanage1

M roadster S54

Post by khanage1 »

thanks robert t. I'm aavoiding the unbranded Chinese ones as seem to be plenty of second hand genuine ones with warranty for sale. just got the front lambda sensors deni2 hope they solve the issue if not the the struggle continues......appears the e46 s54 m3 uses the same sensors as the s54 z3m but bmw part numbers are different was getting me very confused about it all.
cheers guys