Tyres

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
PhilMCaz

M roadster S50

Tyres

Post by PhilMCaz »

Hi all, nearly time for a new set of tyres. Any recommendations? Also, are the tracking settings the same for all Z3's?

Many thanks, Phil
Z3M_Max

M roadster S50

Re: Tyres

Post by Z3M_Max »

Can't go wrong with a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3. Transformed the handling of the car for the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Michelin Pilot Sport 4's are available, they get a great write up.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Gareth 161

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Gareth 161 »

Still pleased with the Goodyear Eagle F1's I put on last year. As I replaced all 4 to get rid of part worn and mixed brand tyres, not sure if it was this brand of tyre or just the fact that I fitted new tyres, but the tramlining is still cured and grip is excellent. Have done about 4K since then and wear rate is looking minimal so these could be something else to consider?
2001 3.0 Z3, 2008 Subaru Forester Xten
PhilMCaz

M roadster S50

Post by PhilMCaz »

Thank you all for your replies. I have got Goodyear's on at the moment. I thought I would try something different. I will probably go down the Michelin route.
Howard Adams

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Howard Adams »

Hi, good choice, I have Michelin's on my motorbike and my day to day car..they are excellent.
The Z3 has Firestones on, good tyre but I suspect they will not last as long as the Michelin's.
H
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

FWIW, I have Goodyear Asym 2 and I hate them. They grip well enough, but the initial turn is is awful, not a patch on the Goodyear Asym 1 they replaced. Also mixing Asym 1 (front) and Asym 2 (rear) was a disaster. Maybe the Aym 3 will see Goodyear back to their best, but I'm going Michelin PS4 in a few weeks.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

siwilson wrote:but I'm going Michelin PS4 in a few weeks.
Very good choice, cracking tyre, quite hard wearing too.
Renaud

M roadster S54

Post by Renaud »

Hello All,

A loosely related question: Would any of you know what Tyres a 2002 Z3M would of left the factory with?

I know tyre technology would of moved on in leaps and bounds over the last 15 years, but I fancy keeping the car as close to factory spec as I can.

Thanks,

R.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Possible Michelin Pilot Sport viewtopic.php?t=23015
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Renaud

M roadster S54

Post by Renaud »

Thanks Gazza,

That was some usefull information.

I had a search for Z3M photos last night, by managing to zoom in on some of the pictures, I could work out that what looked like S50's had Dunlop sports, with the later cars having Michelins (but could not quite see the model), so that old thread does seem to ring true. I'll now have a shop around for some Michelin PS.

Thanks again.

R.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Even if you could find a set of Pilot Sports they will be useless.

Tyres do have a shelf life of about 5 years I believe.
Gazza

ImageImage
Renaud

M roadster S54

Post by Renaud »

Thanks,

I should of been more specific, I did mean Pilot sport 4, not the original pilot sport - .

The Toyo tyres that are currently on it are five + years old, so its about time I changed them, even if they have plenty of tread left and I only did 300 miles last year... :(

Rgds,

R.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Renaud wrote:Thanks,

I should of been more specific, I did mean Pilot sport 4, not the original pilot sport - .

R.
Also going for these on the CSL soon
Gazza

ImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Worth noting there is a 4S aswell as 4
Gazza

ImageImage
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

I used to use GY Eagle F1 GSD3 which were pretty good although discontinued some time ago.
So last change I did a lot of reading and decided to try out Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas which are mid-priced and had rave reviews. These tyres are just brilliant! RED hasn't put a foot wrong with these rubbers, including in the wet. They give you bags of confidence from turn in right through to power on. In my opinion, a huge improvement on the GSD3s. And the tread pattern looks pretty cool too!
Only down point is they are quite noisy on the road which might suggest that they won't last, but no evidence of that yet.
I'll certainly be getting another set of the same next time....

Cheers.
A.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I have Pirelli PZero all round - great tyres, only lose grip when I push it too hard and I know they are going to lose grip.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal