z4 steering seized

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
ex4x4

Z4 roadster 2.2i

z4 steering seized

Post by ex4x4 »

Hi Folks -
My name is Alistair - a 44 year old maintenance tech for car manufacturing company. Ive owned and self maintained numerous cars over the years - more of a passion than a money saving exercise.
Im new to this forum, and unfortunately my first post is a request for some advice.
Ive trawled through lots of posts and web sites, but as of yet unable to find anyone with the same concern as my Z

I bought a 2003 2.2 Z4 late last year as a summer fun toy and part restoration project ( needed a bit TLC but nothing major)

I had drove for a few weeks without concern. Then I parked her up over the winter months, occasionally starting her and letting her get up to temperature - to keep the damp out.
Last time I started her the EPS light came on and stayed on. The steering is extremely heavy to the point that it felt like I would snap something if I tried any harder to turn the wheel.
Using certain posts and web advice, I ve tried without success to investigate concern.
fuse 22 - ok
fuse 64 - ??? unable to find.
Main power to motor - 13.6 v whilst engine running
main ground - good
Tried using a C110 diagnostic tool - tested eps - no faults found.
disconnected battery - still same.
I have raised car off front wheels & steering is free as a bird with engine running -turning lock to lock numerous times without binding - it would appear EPS is functioning correctly??
When car lowered onto wheels - steering returns to being very stiff. - tyre pressures ok.
Have lubed the steering knuckle joints - still no joy.

Ive heard of a lot of concerns with intermittent ( sticky steering) in higher temps but this is constant solid steering in January temps in the UK.
It just seems strange how the concern appeared as if overnight. the car was fine then not - without been driven inbetween.

what would be your advice - without breaking the bank for a new steering assembly???

Many thanks for any input
Alistair
Last edited by ex4x4 on Tue 29 Mar, 2016 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: z4 steering seized

Post by bertiejaffa »

Hi, welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone will come along who has specific information but I had something very similar with my A5 a few weeks back - turned out that the pulley wheel on the crankshaft had snapped off and subsequently took the fan belt with it - dash was lit up like a xmas tree and the power steering had gone - not sure if your power steering relys on the fan belt as well but might be somewhere to check
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
weegeoff

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by weegeoff »

Try Z4-forum .com
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

there are a lot of z4 drivers on zroadster.org as well.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi and welcome.

There is a fix for sticking steering that (if remember correctly) involves carefully drilling into the steering column where there is a joint and squirting in a light machine oil. I'm almost certain that I got it from Z4-Forum.com.

Good luck.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
ex4x4

Z4 roadster 2.2i

Post by ex4x4 »

It would appear my problem is more electrickery than mechanical, as when wheels are off ground with engine off - the steering is as light as a feather.
Im tending to think some sort of torque transducer in column is at fault but need a decent code reader to investigate further.
Any recommendations for readers / scanners that are able to read EPS codes??