Z8 - real classic potential..

UK owners might be few and far between, but if you are a Z8 enthusiast you are welcome here
Giles

Not specified

Z8 - real classic potential..

Post by Giles »

I note from last week's Sunday Times that Cliuve Sutton have an 03/03 Alpina Z8 with 4k on the clock up for £119,950. I also note that for some while now Hexagon of Highgate have had all their Z8's on 'POA'.

New the car was £80k and I find it fascinating that in these turbulent times the Z8 seems to be an extremely sort-after motor car with values seemingly rocketing. And for that I say Amen.

Well done to all those that took the plunge and purchased the wonderful open topped cruiser and "damn, another money making opportunity missed" for those of us that shunned the idea some years back when a tidy example was in the mid £50k region :oops:
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Safer & more satisfying to invest in such a thing of rarity & beauty as a Z8 compared to trusting one's money with those complete bankers in the City.
The Z8 eventually will be as prized as these beauties doubt. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2172/194 ... eb4f60.jpg
I wonder how many £100k 508's fetch now. Lots if you could ever find one.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
c_w

M roadster S50

Re: Z8 - real classic potential..

Post by c_w »

Giles wrote:I note from last week's Sunday Times that Cliuve Sutton have an 03/03 Alpina Z8 with 4k on the clock up for £119,950. I also note that for some while now Hexagon of Highgate have had all their Z8's on 'POA'.

New the car was £80k and I find it fascinating that in these turbulent times the Z8 seems to be an extremely sort-after motor car with values seemingly rocketing. And for that I say Amen.

Well done to all those that took the plunge and purchased the wonderful open topped cruiser and "damn, another money making opportunity missed" for those of us that shunned the idea some years back when a tidy example was in the mid £50k region :oops:
Very hard to guess the market sometimes - if you bought it for £50k then and it drops like M6 prices have you'd be :head: . Then again the Z8 doesn't look like a BMW and it's probably the unique looks that have made it so sought after. I remember reading reviews of the time saying that it should be great to drive but it's not as good as the M5 which it was essentially a lighter version of! :?
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

If money were no object, I'd have a 507 ahead of almost any other car on the planet. They're just the ultimate in cool in every possible way.

So maybe the Z8 is heading towards a similar distinction?
If so, brilliant!

And maybe the S54 Z3 ///M roadster will, in a somewhat smaller way, follow on too :?:

Just to clarify, I'm not hugely interested in the monetary value, but the rarity value really interests me.... :nerd:

A.

Post by Guest »

Alfie wrote:Just to clarify, I'm not hugely interested in the monetary value, but the rarity value really interests me.... :nerd:

A.
I can see you now in your canvass trousers, sporting beard and standing in a field discussing VIN numbers with other like minded soles. Picnic basket, tartan blanked and a folding chair nicely organized behind the car. :D

I love the Z8, simply stunning car. What happened about the bent chassis issues? Did BMW fix them all for free?

Si.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

siwilson wrote:I can see you now in your canvass trousers, sporting beard and standing in a field discussing VIN numbers with other like minded soles. Picnic basket, tartan blanked and a folding chair nicely organized behind the car. :D
Si, you know me SO well....that's me to a tee....every Sunday afternoon....:geek:

A.
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Absolutely love the Z8 and even if it hadn't got an engine, it wins as it is so classically beautiful. 8-) Also not many of them about, unlike the Porsche 911/997, so also has rarity/novelty value too.

Obviously it is retro as it does purposefully hark back to the 507.

I think the Z3 is also classically beautiful and very affordable. I think the appeal of this and the fact it is massive fun to drive, means it will become a classic.

There are still many of the older MG midgets/sprites and MGBS on the road and these were/are an affordable way in to a very good looking classic car. The thing is the Z3 is a relatively modern, much better engineered car and has been much more reliable overall. So you are more likely to get where you want to go with less hassle and plenty of style. Also you can get a man (or woman) who can, to service it so perfect for a busy life-style. 8-)
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

For me the appeal of the Z8 was and still is, the Saville Row suited exterior and the sledgehammer hidden just beeath that cool exterior, being a classic cocktail for endless cruising/hoonage.

Now there's a much wider offering on the above combination from the likes of the Weismann 6 & indeed V10 variants, plus the Morgan Aero and of course the fast depreciating Italian V8's coming for much less money, I have to confess to having taken the Z8 off my lottery list!

Anyway, why would you want a 2 seater in the first place? :head:
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
pangster

blank

Post by pangster »

love the Z8's!! - they're stunning!.. would probably love them even more if they were RHD! :)
Kolgan

M roadster S50

Post by Kolgan »

pangster wrote:love the Z8's!! - they're stunning!.. would probably love them even more if they were RHD! :)
You don't what is good then :D LHD powa :P
Nick

Porsche

Post by Nick »

The Z8 will hold its value reasonably well and is great looking, but for much more fun at the same money or less buy an XK120 Jaguar.

:wink:
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Still hangin' on in there.

Timeless cars, just what is it that makes a classic classic and how come it's not possible to see it when the car is first introduced?

Discuss!
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Giles wrote:Still hangin' on in there.

Timeless cars, just what is it that makes a classic classic and how come it's not possible to see it when the car is first introduced?

Discuss!
Isn't it because a classic is only a classis when it can be distinguished and held above its contemparies? For a lot of people this can only be seen from afar when they look back in retrospect. The majority of the rest only see it when it's pointed it out to them and they can jump on the badwagon. It's a rare gift to see that anything will become a classic while its fresh and new.

For me, the Z8 is just as beautiful as the E Type Jaguar, but maybe that's becasue they share similar traits.

Si.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

stu wrote:For me the appeal of the Z8 was and still is, the Saville Row suited exterior and the sledgehammer hidden just beeath that cool exterior, being a classic cocktail for endless cruising/hoonage.

Now there's a much wider offering on the above combination from the likes of the Weismann 6 & indeed V10 variants, plus the Morgan Aero and of course the fast depreciating Italian V8's coming for much less money, I have to confess to having taken the Z8 off my lottery list!

Anyway, why would you want a 2 seater in the first place? :head:
I remember that day in France when we were sitting outside that cafe having lunch and that Z8 cruised past. You nearly fell off your chair trying to get a better look. If it wouldnt have been for Sylv you would have run after it. :P :P :P :lol:
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."