Colour of engine bay

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Colour of engine bay

Post by Boysie »

Hi

I have had some bodywork done to the car after a accident
The front panel in front of front wheel arch and spoiler
They had to spray the panel in the engine bay
They decided to spray all the left side of the engine bay
And its a different colour to the existing colour :shake: :shake:
Its a lighter colour :evil: :evil:
I flipped my lid and that's putting it mildly
I said I want it to match the existing colour, (not as polite as that)
They said that is the existing colour (primer) and
has faded due to age, heat and gases (cobblers)

It is going back to the body shop on the 8th

I have never seen so many men at Coopers
make a hasty retreat, i felt at any
moment i would turn green
and my shirt and trousers would rip

I have just calmed down and that was before Christmas

Is the engine bay a primer colour?
I feel its looks a bit shiny for primer
and its similar to the colour of the car

AND YES ITS A STEALER
MY CHOICE :head: :head:

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Shraz

M coupe S50

Post by Shraz »

That's piss poor service really. Can't they take a colour measurement if it's faded and mix up a matching batch?. I never had good service using Coopers. They even lost my service book for two weeks and told me during that time just to ring round previous garages I had put the car into and they would stamp up a new book. The original finally turned up in a receptionist's drawer. Useless bunch (this was Reading branch)

I'm not sure what the paint is inside the engine bay. Mine is black to match the rest of the car, but it's a matt black compared to the rest of the bodywork. I suppose it could be some kind of primer. I hope you get it sorted.
brenmona

M coupe S54

Post by brenmona »

I think if you put a little polish on the side of the bay that hasn't been resprayed, you'll find it glosses up ok, and will possibly give you an easier colour match
Z3m Coupe 2001 S54 Silver, Black- Grey Interior
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Ray, your car is the same colour as mine, so I presume your engine bay is sprayed like mine. I wondered if it was the Arctic Silver paint without the clear coat, but the paint does not seem to be quite as the metallic as the paint under the clear lacquer. If you have ever had any deep stone chips, you will see that the paintwork seems to have 3 layers - clear, metallic and a grey primer. The primer is definitely not metallic. Could it be just a thin coat of metallic over primer, or even a mix of primer and metallic? Sorry not to be of more help! Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

That's dealers for you :head: mines never been near one since the warranty ran out :lol:

As far as I'm aware on mine (Topaz Blue met) the under bonnet and inside the bootlid are in colour base coat (less clear coat), some paint systems use tinted clear coats which may explain why silver BMW's have a plain gray base coat.

So maybe the bodyshops paint system base coat doesn't match BMW's, not a problem if your only painting the outside.

Just a thought :?
Steve
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

EPC lists a 400ml aerosol spray for underbonnet and boot. There are 29 colours listed though so I suggest a trip to BMW to get the right match.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well spotted, Deano. Don't see an Arctic Silver (Arkticsilber) though. If they are all the colours, then there are a few possibilities - Aspen Silver, Silbergrau, Titan-silber. I have no price information, though.

If the $tealer has trouble finding it, get them to enter say the part number of the Titanium Silver (even though it is not the colour of your car), 51.91.0.137.648 - PAINT SPRAY INTERIOR FILLER TITAN-SILBER and this should bring them to the diagram with the complete list.

Note also that this product is marked as having a limited shelf life - so if they have applied the correct product, check that it wasn't out of date.

Please let us know how you get on, as there are a couple of little bits under my bonnet that I would like to touch up if I can get the right colour.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi Robert

If you get the correct colour let me know
I have the same colour as you
I THINK

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior