Wheel hub painting

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
tkbruce

Z3 roadster 1.9

Wheel hub painting

Post by tkbruce »

It's more noticable now since I have fitted the 18" wheels the wheel hubs are slightly brown in colour (rust). I thought it might be an idea to paint them with dark blue hammerite to match the car colour. Before I do so, does anyone have any advice on the little paint job, paint used or any issues with hand painting the hub?
I was also thinking of tidying up the brake calipers whilst the wheels were off, can I paint them or should I just be cleaning and leaving.

Cheers all.

Keith in Fraserburgh.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

You can paint them just try to remove as much of the rust as you can (wire brush etc...) and use a paint that can be painted onto rust eg Hammerite.

You can get special caliper paint in different colours as it needs to handle the heat generated (use can use engine block paint as well :wink: )
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

Or use grey zinc-spray as originally used by BMW...

I used to paint the hub black - but after buying the Z.... I'm gonna paint the the hubs on old brit' grey as well.... looks much nicer

Ferdinand - just an idea....
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I'm in the process of doing this myself at the moment. Painting the calipers red and I'm going to spray the hubs too but I'm unsure on what colour to do them yet, probably silver as my front ones are already silver. In my opinion it really freshens up the look of the car and is eye catching behind the alloys, plus its the little details that count!!
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
tkbruce

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tkbruce »

Hmm, I'm not the best of sprayers and prefer to use the brush, that way saves me from masking, just a piece of paper on the ground to catch the drips LOL. Special caliper paint eh? I'll have to look around for that as I might have just slapped on the hammerite!

Thanks guys!
Keith.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

Does anyone have any pics of the finished paint job

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

did mine with caliper paint off eBay

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
tkbruce

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tkbruce »

Hmm dunno if i'll go for the striking orange but excellent photos, thank you. I'll have to take a few after I've done mine.
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

tkbruce wrote:Hmm, I'm not the best of sprayers and prefer to use the brush, that way saves me from masking, just a piece of paper on the ground to catch the drips LOL. Special caliper paint eh? I'll have to look around for that as I might have just slapped on the hammerite!

Thanks guys!
Keith.
Hammerite will be fine, we've used it on the brakes on quite a few cars now.
Last edited by Tori on Sat 17 Jul, 2010 20:54, edited 1 time in total.
Now for sale £6000 Ono
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Brown, Silver or Black?

Post by Titan »

Boysie wrote:Hi
Does anyone have any pics of the finished paint job
Take your pick Ray:

Original (un-refurbished wheels) with "brown" hubs ;)

Refurbed Shadow Chrome wheels with silver hubs

Shadow Chrome wheels with black hubs

I prefer the black to the silver as it looks cleaner in the flesh (sorry about the muck 'n dust in the last photo :oops:
The silver seemed to look much dirtier especially if any copper grease bled out.

The red calipers were painted with heat resistant engine enamel - 'cos that's what was on my shelf :wink:
The silver hubs were silver hammerite and the black ones "smoothrite" to match the garden gate - again it was on the shelf :)

Hope this helps in your selection :D
Image :devil:
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Many thanks
black is best

Cheers Titan

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Dakeyras

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dakeyras »

Once again a fine thread resulted in a trip to the shops. Got some caliper paint and some paint for the hubs, now if the rain would stop.

This may seem like a stoopid question but do you (or can you) paint the brake discs as well?
tkbruce

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tkbruce »

:lol: I wouldn't advise that but you might be able to purchase some anodised disks.....possibly but I'm not an expert.
I would imagine if you painted them then all grip would be lost and you would be going through red lights, bashing into cars and going into brick walls :head:

Keith.
Dakeyras

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dakeyras »

I thought that might be the case and I'd rather avoid the wall crashing if at all possible :D Best to get the stupid questions out of the way though!
tkbruce

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by tkbruce »

If you don't ask then you wont know, mind you some of the technical experts may be able to advise you more but I can't see painting the disks as a safe idea.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Dakeyras wrote:This may seem like a stoopid question but do you (or can you) paint the brake discs as well?
It's not a stupid question if you don't know the answer!

However DO NOT paint the surface of the discs!
The shiny metal surface is designed to generate friction with the brake pads.
Paint would effectively act as a lubricant and result in you not stopping..... :shock:
Image :devil:
Jays

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jays »

Never mind the smell of burning paint!

Those Shadow Chrome wheel refurbs look pretty good Titan. Making me think about mine now!