scratched wheels on m-roadster

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
erics

M roadster S50

scratched wheels on m-roadster

Post by erics »

Hi all,
just bought my 2nd m-roadster last week!
3 wheels are slightly scratched & i would like to get them repared.

I got a guy from 'Chipsaway' to come & do some scraches on the bodywork but claimed he could not do the wheels as they are not painted but chromed.

The car is a July 98 m-roadster completely standard.

Eventhough the wheels are shinny silver, i cannot really believe they are chromed....

*Can someone please advise on the real color specs of the m-roadster wheels??
Also, if anyone has any good recomandations to get the wheels repaired (London uk)...

Thanks in advance,
Eric.

PS: i have attached a picture of the car... hope you guys like it!
Attachments
bmw-m-roadster-face.jpg
bmw-m-roadster-face.jpg (245.79 KiB) Viewed 5462 times
Desperado

Not specified

Post by Desperado »

Can't comment on the wheels but the car looks lovely and i especially like the number plate, yours or came with the car? 8-)
erics

M roadster S50

Post by erics »

the car was 1st registered in Monaco & therefore LHD (am French).
I will register it in France... so: no i left the plate to the previous owner!
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

For wheel refinishing try speaking to http://www.fatwheels.net

Nice car :D
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

they look like they may be Polished, rather than chromed or painted ?
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

this can be a real problem ,matching colour,so i had mine all resprayed by bmw in titanium silver,from a distance you cant tell the differance ,take look a pics,anyway your car is very nice,mine 1999 cosmic black/imola red interior,cost off 4 wheels resprayed and new centre and small ///m badges £260
erics

M roadster S50

Post by erics »

i am getting really really confused.
The guy from wicked wheels near gatwick quoted me gbp 65 + vat per wheel + arguing that i should do the 4 wheels otherwise there is a risk of mismatching.

The whole thing would cost gbp 305.5

I think it is OTT as the wheels are not massively scratched.

He explained me for 15 minutes how much these wheels were complex etc etc... ok i know it is a nice silver, but it is not my 1st car with scratched wheels & it never cost me that sort of money...

If anyone knows some good contact with London, i would really appreciate.
The guys i used to use near the City (part of Chipsaway) seem to have disapeared.....
:cry:
erics

M roadster S50

Post by erics »

DavidM, did you actually used them:
http://www.fatwheels.net/contact.php
??
them quoted me gbp 60 per wheel... they would collect, put the car on axles & refit...
but before i commit, i would really like some feedback
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Not yet - I have my new Breyton Magic Racings on now - so have the time to get my Roadstars refinished at my leisure - will be doing so soon
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote:Not yet - I have my new Breyton Magic Racings on now - so have the time to get my Roadstars refinished at my leisure - will be doing so soon
Let me know how you get on with those Dave as my wheels also need attendance tho I'm thinking of changing wheels too.. :|
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

M Blur wrote:
DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote:Not yet - I have my new Breyton Magic Racings on now - so have the time to get my Roadstars refinished at my leisure - will be doing so soon
Let me know how you get on with those Dave as my wheels also need attendance tho I'm thinking of changing wheels too.. :|
If you are considering a change - take a look at the Breyton range - the Magic Racings are truly splendiferous - the Spirits are hotter than a hot thing too - I could post photos but then I would have to kill you as I would have broken an agreement about them

Probably get the RoadStars to Fat Wheels in the next few weeks - and they reckon about a week turn around - if I don't get my ass into gear and sort it soon, it'll have to wait until after Switzerland - which pushes it to late August, early September
erics

M roadster S50

Post by erics »

hi everyone, after much research... i finally used Dent-Tech...
a company that i used 2 years ago to do the scratches on my previous m-roadster.

As expected they could not match the original color so i went for the BMW titanium color...

They sended down the wheels to the primer & applied the paint, baked them, & finally applied 'double' varnish for a good & durable finish.

I was not happy at all with their 1st attempt (wrong color + poor finish) so got them to redo it all from scratch!

They did it all over again with no additional charge!

It cost me gbp 150 for the 4 wheels (i paid cash so no vat).

The result was finally as expected.

They did not remove the tyres to do the job as i initially thought but managed to do very well like this.

so price / quality of work was quite good.

thanks all for the help / tips to resolve this issue.
Attachments
z3mwheel.jpg
z3mwheel.jpg (12.32 KiB) Viewed 5267 times
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Do you have contact details.. that's a good price.. I'll give them a go for M 8LUR until I can afford new allys for next year.
erics

M roadster S50

Post by erics »

M Blur, speak to Vic on 078 30 18 18 02.

Say you are calling from me (Eric).
He is the manager & they have 1 facility near Upney (tube station) & the other one is near Hillfords.

Tell him to use the same color as he did for me...

If they screw up in the process, they will redo free of charge untill the work suits you.

Insist on getting the same price as me => £150 for the 4 wheels.

Finally, i am happy to show you my car if you want to be sure before you use them (i leave in Wapping).

Regards, Eric.
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

erics wrote:M Blur, speak to Vic on 078 30 18 18 02.

Say you are calling from me (Eric).
He is the manager & they have 1 facility near Upney (tube station) & the other one is near Hillfords.

Tell him to use the same color as he did for me...

If they screw up in the process, they will redo free of charge untill the work suits you.

Insist on getting the same price as me => £150 for the 4 wheels.

Finally, i am happy to show you my car if you want to be sure before you use them (i leave in Wapping).

Regards, Eric.
Thx m8.. I've decided to go for fatwheels in the end who can do a very good shadowline chrime (ala E46 M3) . and next year I'll upgrade to some handmade imagewheels splits. Rgds :)
erics

M roadster S50

Post by erics »

let us know about the quality of the work..........
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

erics wrote:let us know about the quality of the work..........
Will do m8.. supposed to be top notch and robust.. I'll get pics once done..
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

pic off my wheels done in titanium silver by bmw,nice job they did as well
'MC' MarkC

M coupe S50

Post by 'MC' MarkC »

v. nice 321, looks like a pukka job.
Do you know if they can offer the 'black chrome-line' finish, as per S54 ///Ms :?: How much, dare I ask, did they charge :?:
ACS susp., exhaust, wheels, short-shift +decat (Supersprint)+CF intake with K&N, remapped ECU, Strong-strutt. Piranha carbon-metallic clutch, EBC Grooved & Dimpled+Redstuff Ceramics. ACS pedals, gearknob & handbrake, stick-on plates.
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

well they will tell you they cant do it,but they can they just have to get the proper paint from germany bmw,cost ££££££££££££££££££££
'MC' MarkC

M coupe S50

Post by 'MC' MarkC »

Charming! Especially so if you have an S54 whose wheels need a refurb :!:
ACS susp., exhaust, wheels, short-shift +decat (Supersprint)+CF intake with K&N, remapped ECU, Strong-strutt. Piranha carbon-metallic clutch, EBC Grooved & Dimpled+Redstuff Ceramics. ACS pedals, gearknob & handbrake, stick-on plates.
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

i think its got something to do with how the paint is applied to the wheel ,i think its the special under-coat they apply with makes the top-coat like like chrome-effect,they told me they could not do this at my local bmw branch,but could send the wheels over to germany,i didnt ask how much,im sure someone on the board knows more about it than me