How to keep the alloys clean from brake dust and dirt?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Andre_z_3000

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

How to keep the alloys clean from brake dust and dirt?

Post by Andre_z_3000 »

Is there any way to keep the alloys from getting all filthy from brake dust and dirt? I find that within a day of driving after cleaning the Z I'm already seeing the start of brake dust/dirt build up, and within two weeks the alloys are quite literally filthy.

Strangely enough, the alloys on my Honda runabout can stay relatively clean for months! Bizarre!

Can anyway recommend any products that could perhaps keep the alloys clean for longer? something that perhaps would make the dust slide off or something? Or do such products not exist?
Andre_Z_3000
2000 Arctic White z3

TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Andre
I just wax my wheels using some older polishes i have knocking around. they will just wipe off after that.
The only way to reduce the brake dust is to use low dust pads front and rear, I had EBC Greenstuffs on my 1.9 and the wheels hardly needed cleaning at all. Will probably fit them on the M when the pads wear out.
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

I had ECB Greenstuff on Charlotte and I would agree with Tony they are the pads of choice if you want to minimise brake dust. But I understand they are not effective if you are looking to do any serious track-work.
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Lorraine »

I have the EBC pads as well and are excellent for brake dust reduction. I think the EBC Red Stuff pads are meant for track driving, anyone have experience with these?
Cheers,
Lorraine
Z3 3.0 :D
SLX 280

BMW other

Just Clean them

Post by SLX 280 »

"and within two weeks the alloys are quite literally filthy"

I would have just a bucket of water with soft cloth next to garage and clean them when I had been on a run....heck it only takes a few mins. Maybe I'm sad...but I ever left them for 2 weeks without a clean? (DIX 86 will I hope testify as my wheels were mint when sold)

Scott Z-less but still with clean wheels...
Robin

M roadster S50

Beware - Keep your wheels clean !

Post by Robin »

I've discovered that one long term consequence of leaving dust on wheels is you wind up with permanent dark patches pressumably where the steel dust off the disc or pad dust reacts with the plating of the wheel.
That seems to be the case with my car becuase the previous owner must have left dust on the wheels. :(
'High G' motoring enthusiast
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Red Stuff-Good Stuff

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

:) Used Red since they arrived , on the Alpina for track & road.Same set did 2 Rings + 4K road.Have just fitted the New Ceramic Reds.

Brake squeal on the ZM at low stopping speeds, and Lots of dust on rims, decided me to get Reds for ZM.The dealer replaced Textar, s are too soft and cause the excessive dust, but good for track slowing.
safetyfast
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Re: Red Stuff-Good Stuff

Post by M Blur »

ZZZEMMCO wrote::) Used Red since they arrived , on the Alpina for track & road.Same set did 2 Rings + 4K road.Have just fitted the New Ceramic Reds.

Brake squeal on the ZM at low stopping speeds, and Lots of dust on rims, decided me to get Reds for ZM.The dealer replaced Textar, s are too soft and cause the excessive dust, but good for track slowing.
Good pt John.. After speaking with EBC's tech director - for track days - EBC don't advise anything less than RedStuff Ceramics at the front and RedStuff stds at the rears for the ZM.. green stuffs are just not up to the job... Of course if you talk to Mintex and Pagid then they'd advise that cermaic pads are a fad, are not properly designed yet for the aftermarket and you are better of with good metal pads. I'm switching to Pagid Blues once I've worked through the current set...

But remember that the harder the pad then the shorter the disc life... :| The alternaitve is to upgrade your brake fluid to Dot4+ (not Dot5) and swap to braided lines.. then use std pads and std discs and replace perodically..

Regardless of whether you spend ££ or ££££ on your brakes... discs and pads still wear out.. the best thing to do is maintain your set up and check it b4 and after every tarck day and replace well before you reach the minimum.
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Ebc

Post by Lorraine »

Strangely enough, when I bought the EBC pads the guy I spoke with recommended Green Stuff for the front and Red Stuff for the rear after considering my driving style and engine size (i.e. nutter with a 3.0). I trusted his opinion and I have been very pleased with them. Have had them on for over a year, virtually no fading and very little brake dust. Once they were worn in (about 3 weeks) they no longer squeaked on low-speed braking, haven't heard a sound from them since.
8-)
Cheers,
Lorraine
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Re: Ebc

Post by M Blur »

Lorraine wrote:Strangely enough, when I bought the EBC pads the guy I spoke with recommended Green Stuff for the front and Red Stuff for the rear after considering my driving style and engine size (i.e. nutter with a 3.0). I trusted his opinion and I have been very pleased with them. Have had them on for over a year, virtually no fading and very little brake dust. Once they were worn in (about 3 weeks) they no longer squeaked on low-speed braking, haven't heard a sound from them since.
8-)
ADR.. big diff between 300+bhp M on track to hard used 3l.. GreenStuffs are good but juts not up to stopping 3--bhp+ cars.. EBC words not mine..
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Lorraine »

Mblur, I am not using the car on a track, obviously if I was I would have needed the Red Stuff on the front as well. This is for normal everyday driving, and Andre's question was about reducing brake dust in everyday driving - which they do. :roll:
Cheers,
Lorraine
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Lorraine wrote:Mblur, I am not using the car on a track, obviously if I was I would have needed the Red Stuff on the front as well. This is for normal everyday driving, and Andre's question was about reducing brake dust in everyday driving - which they do. :roll:
Sure Lorraine.. certainly the Greenstuffs appear better than OEM.. :)
DavidO

Porsche

Post by DavidO »

recommended Green Stuff for the front and Red Stuff for the rear
I'm probably about to announce my lack of understanding of braking dynamics, but....shouldn't that be the other way round?
David O
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Lorraine »

DavidO wrote:
I'm probably about to announce my lack of understanding of braking dynamics, but....shouldn't that be the other way round?
You'd have thought David, but he was the expert and I have no clue so I had to trust his judgement. Whether or not it was the optimum setup, I have no complaints about the performance. Will probably get another opinion when replacement time comes around....
Cheers,
Lorraine
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Lorraine »

M Blur wrote:
Lorraine wrote:Mblur, I am not using the car on a track, obviously if I was I would have needed the Red Stuff on the front as well. This is for normal everyday driving, and Andre's question was about reducing brake dust in everyday driving - which they do. :roll:
Sure Lorraine.. certainly the Greenstuffs appear better than OEM.. :)
Mblur, I would say they certainly are better: much less fade under heavy use, significantly less brake dust on my wheels, and they seem to be lasting longer. I can't complain!
Cheers,
Lorraine
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Lorraine »

M Blur wrote:
Lorraine wrote:
DavidO wrote: I'm probably about to announce my lack of understanding of braking dynamics, but....shouldn't that be the other way round?
You'd have thought David, but he was the expert and I have no clue so I had to trust his judgement. Whether or not it was the optimum setup, I have no complaints about the performance. Will probably get another opinion when replacement time comes around....
Yup me 2 giving the braking bias of a std set-up front to rear.. I may ask my tech contact at EBC about it.. I'd still say Redstuffs at the front would be optimum but we'll see... :|
Makes sense to me, let me know what your tech guys says....
Cheers,
Lorraine
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Lorraine wrote:
DavidO wrote:
Yup me 2 giving the braking bias of a std set-up front to rear.. I may ask my tech contact at EBC about it.. I'd still say Redstuffs at the front would be optimum but we'll see... :|
Big Mr P
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by Big Mr P »

Guys,

there's a simple way to keep your wheels clean and that's pay a shed load of money for them, you'll wash them after every run then.

On a serious point, balancing your brakes to your driving needs is a fundamental requirement of all performance tinkerers, and that is why there is so much choice.

Happy and safe decelerations.
Graham,
Something for the weekend!!!
dixie

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dixie »

PM to Scott: Wheels still sparkling!

Brake dust is a pain in the **** on my particular Z3. I have to keep a bucket and sponge by the garage door same as Scott did. I do think that it must be in the design of the wheel. My 325 has M3 wheels fitted and I have never noticed brake dust build up between weekly (sometimes fortnightly) washes.

SWMBO and my daughter went out in the Z3 and covered about 70 miles of mixed driving the other day. The dust build up on the wheels was amazing. I told her maybe less use of the right pedal and less of the middle pedal would help. As this was contrued as a slight on her erratic driving she did not speak to me for the rest of the day. It was very peaceful.

Can anyone recommend a supplier of EBC Kevlar pads as I believe they may be the only answer.

Dixie
DXI 86
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Motorsportworld supplied my EBC pads for my 1.9. details and links on my website.
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

dixie wrote: Can anyone recommend a supplier of EBC Kevlar pads
These guys supplied mine, very good and helpful on the phone too. http://www.powerstop.co.uk/