Windscreen Damage help ?

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

Windscreen Damage help ?

Post by Neal(2.8Roadster) »

Last night some £$%& decided to try and smash my windscreen with a piece of mortar from a damaged wall down my road.

(probably the same £$%& kicked down a load of garden walls last week)

Luckily the windscreen didnt break but the impact has left a pretty bad scuff mark (about an inch long) in the glass right in my line of vision.

I was wondering if there was any product available that would polish out such a scuff in a windscreen as it will drive me crazy having the mark right there in front of me, but seems like an overkill to replace the windscreen ?

any help or ideas much appreciated.

(the night vision enabled Machine Gun nest is already on order from Guns 'n' Ammo ! :x )
Neal Glover

Email : nealglover@Gmail.com
BartS
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BartS »

Neal

sorry to hear, I had a similar problem but with a huge stonechip the size of a 50p coin a few weeks ago

Mine was really beyond the point of repair by Carglass etc and I checked my insurance policy instead... had decent windscreen cover (£40) excess only and hence opted for the new windscreen, all fitted whilst at work, and the windscreen replacement did not affect my (protected) NoClaimsDiscount....

check your own policy as you may be better of having it replaced all together...!
whitey_cjw

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by whitey_cjw »

I had this problem with my old car, I was advised by a friend to call autoglass who came to my work and fixed it for FREE.
They cleaned out the chip and then filled it and it looked pretty good.
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

When you say they fixed it for Free, did you use your insurance or do they have some kind of offer on that I need to know about ? :dunce:
Neal Glover

whitey_cjw

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by whitey_cjw »

I'm pretty certain that most people are eligible for this.
I know it was not a deal I got.
Give them a call and they will tell you if it is free or not, the number is 0800 363636.

This is what there website said about it:

We first make sure that the damaged area is clean and tidy. We then suck all the air out of the chip with a vacuum and inject it with a clear resin liquid, before reversing the vacuum to force the resin to fill the chip.
We cover the chip with a special film and use an ultra-violet light to harden the resin. Finally, we polish the glass clean – and it’s immediately safe for you to drive away.
This whole process only takes around 20 minutes
Neal(2.8Roadster)

Z3 roadster 2.8

I am a little lost here, or maybe a bit slow on the uptake ? :dunce:

Why would they do it for free ?

Are you talking about an insurance claim here, or just the most generous repair company around ?
Neal Glover