Rear screen replacement

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
saltcoatsbhoy

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Rear screen replacement

Post by saltcoatsbhoy »

I came across this while browsing Gumtree to get the wife a new hoover for her birthday.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... /103404956

Is £250 now the going rate for replacement? If so I might only be able to afford a new ironing board for her ladyship!
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Re: Rear screen replacement

Post by chrisp_1 »

A guy local to me quoted £80 to fit one I supplied - if that helps. :)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Considering that Southernboy is selling a genuine BMW on here for £85, and you can fit that yourself, I'd say £250 for a non-BMW one, which may or may not be a zip in job, is just a bit overpriced. Have a search on here and you'll find current dealer prices and details on fitting.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

Get a genuine BMW one, I didn't and regretted it :(
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

I've just had my whole hood replaced for £260, granted the rear screen is fixed but at that price I can afford to replace it again in a few years time.
Bex
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

calbens wrote:I've just had my whole hood replaced for £260, granted the rear screen is fixed but at that price I can afford to replace it again in a few years time.
Bex
That's a great price - share the details please :o
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

chrisp_1 wrote:
I was reccommended them by a member of the MX-5 club, if you google Jack Smiths Trimmers Swansea you will see all the reviews and comments about him...
I thought it was worth the run out to Swansea and I wasn't dissapointed with the roof at all, it looks fantastic!
However, that said he did scratch my car and pretty much denied any knowledge of it which if he'd been upfront and honest about it we would have said okay these things happen but he didn't so a big mark down for him on that point....The fact that she'd only just come back from a paint job and is now back in there is a tad galling to say the least. But, I would like to think this was a one off, I can't imagine him making the same mistake again! :head:
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Damn I could have got mine done today as I in Cardiff, so not too far away...except that I was in my 320d. :head:
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

calbens wrote:
chrisp_1 wrote:
I was reccommended them by a member of the MX-5 club, if you google Jack Smiths Trimmers Swansea you will see all the reviews and comments about him...
I thought it was worth the run out to Swansea and I wasn't dissapointed with the roof at all, it looks fantastic!
However, that said he did scratch my car and pretty much denied any knowledge of it which if he'd been upfront and honest about it we would have said okay these things happen but he didn't so a big mark down for him on that point....The fact that she'd only just come back from a paint job and is now back in there is a tad galling to say the least. But, I would like to think this was a one off, I can't imagine him making the same mistake again! :head:
As a former MX5 owner/forum member I have heard alot about Jack Smiths but I didn't know they did Z3 too - cheers for the tip-off.

That's a crazy price too, I thought the ones on ebay were cheap at £350 :roll: is it twilfast roof? zip out window?

Shame about the scratch though :nono :evil:
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

chrisp_1 wrote:
That's a crazy price too, I thought the ones on ebay were cheap at £350 :roll: is it twilfast roof? zip out window?

Shame about the scratch though :nono :evil:
Hi chrisp,

It was the bodyshop where I had the respray done that reccommended him to me and when I rung him he said he can make any roof for any car lol..
He uses the same mohair that BMW use ordered in from Germany and although the plastic screen is fixed, at that price my thoughts are that if it lasts me 5 yrs it will have paid for itself and I can get it redone...
The screen is the original green tint plastic that BMW use too, although I must admit I couldn't tell that there was a green tint on the drive home. I had replaced the original a couple of years or so back with a zip in 'clear one' that I got from the US and I culdn't tell any difference thankfully lol...
I'll try and post a couple of pics up for you, if I can remember how to lol :oops:

Bex 8-)
mrh1

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mrh1 »

Yep had mine done there in March, did a good job for £240..
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Yes,... photo's please, I'd particularly like to see the seems, r.window, etc. thanks. :D