FULL INTERNAL

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

FULL INTERNAL

Post by Southernboy »

The time has arrived...
The Z is about to have a full interior re-design. I managed to acquire leather from Porche - Red. New complete black carpet. Complete black interior trim.
So, the conversion to RED/BLACK will begin this weekend with stripping out the entire interior.
The scheme will be red instrument and airbag dash sections. From the top the door cards will have red at the window, black thin stripe of plastic which widens to the front, red padded section, black leathered at the bottom.
Red hockey sticks on the console with the carbon fiber upper sections which are already there including the cup holder. Red/black center arm rest. Seats, red with black center panel. Steering wheel red leather, in the top section from the left to the right horizontal spokes, and black leather in the two sections between the horizontals and the bottom center vertical. Roll bars leather covered - Red.
I will have some Beige parts that I shall no longer need, so anyone who needs beige parts...free...postage cost only. These will include:- rear rollbar trims (L & R). Footwell / speaker sections. Covers for the L & R Doors at bottom. Glove box and steering underdash covers. Complete carpet in mint condition.
The dash will not be available, because all the "exposed sections of what is currently beige" are going for Carbon Fiber skinning treatment to match the console and rear storage box.
Anyone needing any of those bits, let me know by 12th Nov. after that it's eBay.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
PCSAM

blank

Re: FULL INTERNAL

Post by PCSAM »

cant wait to see this work your doing mate ........ 8-)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Me too...somewhat excited, and a little daunted by my "perfectionist" personality... By the time it's done, the auto-trimmer is going to hate me if he doesn't have it 100%. I've downloaded dozens of pics detailing the stitching and panels that make up the leatherwork...I've used him before, and his work is very good, but occaisionally, he has a rush of s**t to the head and goes off at a tangent..but, I've put all the pics on a disc for him, and told him to call me if he is unsure of anything. And while that's happening, it's the undercar painting / restoration work. Still waiting for the BMW dealers to deliver the pads for the suspension, so I can fit the Eibach springs... I'm looking forward to a good driving holiday to the Cape Town area come year end. 4000kms of cruisin'... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Sounds like you on a mission with the zed, should look good when done :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

My car is having a mid-life crisis... reckons it wants to recapture it's youthful looks... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Nothing wrong with that :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Well I'm kinda past bothering with the age issue....but I would like to preserve the Zed for the next 25 years at least...I may just get a return on it by then. How is Durbs today??
"Normal is overrated"

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Overcast and windy, have had terrible weather for the past Month.

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Ditto that here...wind, wind, wind...and rain, rain rain. Think I'll move to Scotland.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

Southernboy wrote:Ditto that here...wind, wind, wind...and rain, rain rain. Think I'll move to Scotland.. :wink:
ill trade ...... :wink:
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

pm sent
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Complete internal strip done in 2 1/2 hrs...with a tea break and a P-stop.... :D
Now to strip the dash parts ready for the auto trimmer to have the instrument and airbag sections in the morning.... Rest of the dash will go for Carbon Fiber skinning tomorrow, Door cards dismantled, console / hockey sticks ready to go, roll bars removed and ready to go...and the weather is truly magic today 23.C + :sunny
The steering wheel and seats can go in on Wednesday... All parts back by Friday, and re-assemble on Saturday, if the new Black Carpet has arrived by then... :roll:
Little Zed cabin looks like the dump out back of an Italian restaurant...SPAGHETTI EVERYWHERE !!
"Normal is overrated"

gray2703

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gray2703 »

Sounds exciting venture and project, be great to see some in progress photos :shock:

Would love to recover my seats in lighter beige leather with horizontal pipes in main part (similar to Alfa leather work)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I've taken some pics...but there is a thread in the Z3 Knowledgebase which describes a complete interior removal... My pics are mostly for my own reference to ensure I don't overlook anything in a week or so when I re-assemble. Nothing worse than putting in an hour of work only to discover that one has left out a small component / move wich requires undoing all the effort put in already... :bad
The dash is now dismantled ito all it's individual parts and ready to go too....Actually the entire process is a lot less laborious than one anticipates, re-assembly will be more time consuming though, especially as one takes more care to avoid any possible damage...the dreaded "screwdiver slip" or some such mishap.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

All the bits are done and ready for delivery to the auto trimmer in the morning...a relief to have managed the separation of the instrument cluster "dome" from the lower half without incident... It did take me the best part of half an hour though, and some words best left out here.
One has to puzzle over the mentality that employs hidden attachments vs a good screw or two...maybe I'm living in the past when things were made in such a way that it was a relatively obvious task to separate components...anyhow, one learns the new tricks, even an old dog like me... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

Looking forward to seeing the results etc as I'm planning my interior change on my z4
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Looking forward to it too!! That beige interior was just not "roadster"... Which Z4 are you driving? I have a Z4 steering wheel fitted in my Z3, the one without the multi-function steering wheel. But it has the "brushed chrome" look spokes...
I only realised once I had fitted it that it's about 35mm smaller in diameter than the Z3 wheel, which is just perfect. I used to have to drive with the steering wheel between my knees..Was OK when the BH was driving though... :twisted:
I'll post some pics when it's all back together again..Probably around mid November..
"Normal is overrated"

macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

Southernboy wrote:Looking forward to it too!! That beige interior was just not "roadster"... Which Z4 are you driving? I have a Z4 steering wheel fitted in my Z3, the one without the multi-function steering wheel. But it has the "brushed chrome" look spokes...
I only realised once I had fitted it that it's about 35mm smaller in diameter than the Z3 wheel, which is just perfect. I used to have to drive with the steering wheel between my knees..Was OK when the BH was driving though... :twisted:
I'll post some pics when it's all back together again..Probably around mid November..
I have a 2003 3.0l auto with grey / red interior. I have no idea what I want to change it to yet, I'm looking at all possibilities at the moment.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Grey/Red isn't quite as drab as Beige... Beige is OK, but just doesn't quite suit an open roadster concept. More like it should be in a large Merc or Volvo.. I have been fortunate to have found the "red" leather from Porche. I's not red as in Pillar box red, but more a terracotta red, also it has a matt finish. I reckon that with black will work. It's not as difficult to change the interior, if you take your time and gather all the trim as and when they come up at a reasonable price. The difficult part is to find an auto trimmer that is up to scratch, because the last thing you want is a shabby job. It's got to be as good as the original if not better. As you will gather, I'm not at all concerned with OEM / original colours. reckon the options of leather are so huge, and why not have something individual vs "repeat, repeat..."
I wouldn't go bright yellow though, although someone local here did that in a red Alfa Spyder... :shock: Looked like a hamster that had been bludgeoned.. :D
"Normal is overrated"

resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

waiting 4 pics! :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Me too...I dropped all the bits with the auto trimmer this morning...Still waiting on delivery of some black plastic trim from Poland, full black carpet from UK...Hopefully all the parts will arrive so I can do the re-assembly in about a week...Meanwhile, BMW have just delivered all the bits for the suspension which is being lowered 30mm..so I can get on with that while I'm waiting...but I rely on my mechanic for that,and he reckons maybe we can do the job on Saturday morning.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Replacement 3rd stoplight arrived today...Cleaned up and the lens buffed to a perfect gloss as it should be. For anyone interested, one of the best methods of buffing / polishing hard plastics is with a decent soft cloth and Brasso... works brilliantly. At last I can fit it and get shot of the chipped one which has had a small leak, often plugged with silicone... Also noticed that all 7 of the bulb reflectors were somewhat melted when I had it out a few months back for a re-seal. Seems those little 5 watt bulbs get quite warm. They've all been replaced by led's now , so that shouldn't be an issue any longer.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Black dash, black rear lateral trims complete with turrets etc etc for roll hoop apps and full black carpet (Not cleaned yet) all in hand and ready for installation.
Still waiting on black glove box and under dash steering column bits from Emek... but he is still out on the Indian ocean somewhere rowing to South Africa...
Red & Black leather parts have been started at the auto trimmer.... :D
All the wiring harness under the dash has been tidied up and routed so that access behind the guages and heater controls is optimised for changing those pesky light bulbs we all hate to replace...
"Normal is overrated"

stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Just changed a heater fan switch bulb, did it through the right hand hockey stick by removing two screws and easing it back, pulled the wire off, got long nose pliers on the old bulb, one swift firm tug and out it popped. Used the one from the ashtray to replace it. Bingo, less than 15 minutes :)
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Seems the parts from Emek have already landed in Cape Town -by ship -and are on their way to Johannesburg...which is really surprising. I was anticipating another 3 - 4 weeks longer...
Wonderful when things come together so nicely!!!
"Normal is overrated"

Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Zedbedee »

Interested to read that Southernboy has fitted a smaller Z4 steering wheel. Is that an easy swap and do you retain the airbag functionallity??
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

PM sent to you re Z4 wheel....
The most difficult part of removing the front section of carpet has to be the accelerator pedal... what a very American idea it is...If it had been a German design, it would have had a couple of screws instead of 3 clips buried beloy a flange, and that requires the carpet to be depressed whilst unclipping three clips with one hand... what a total lack of intelligent forsight !!
Nonetheless..perserverance, some cursing Obama and his folk, it finally came out. The rest of the operation was simple.
Any USA readers..this isn't personal...it's an observation...like millions for a pen that will write in weightless space...you know that story?? The Ruskies used a pencil - 1 rouble.... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Hate to burst the bubble, but the pen thing is a myth. An ordinary biro will work in zero-gravity. A pencil could be disasterous, as graphite is conductive and little pieces of broken pencil lead could quite easily float into sensitive electronics. The bit that amazes me is that the computers the used had less processing power than my phone!

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Here's an interesting bit of info..I went online to query the top rated car audio speakers... JBL by Harmann were rated the best...Guess which 4" rears I just installed this morning...
But.. the new 4" come with a tweeter in the center...only way to fit them and still use the OEM trim cover was to use a set of side cutters and snip the 6 arms off the back of the cover and remove the "spider" (6 legged one... :wink: ) With that removed the cover snaps in as usual without the mesh touching the tweeter which is about 1/4 inch proud of the old OEM speaker level.
The speakers are rated 90 watts and one of the most obvious differences is the huge magnet at back compared to the old OEM jobs.
FYI Alpine rated pretty high up and still within the "excellent" category between 9 - 10. Bottom was Kicker 5.? The survey seems current as it was dated 2013... :shock: Maybe they're getting ahead of themselves. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Update....
"New" black carpets arrived at lunch time today....now the carpet cleaners are here doing their bit. The carpets came from Shaun Alexander in Sommerset, and I must say, they are in superb condition...with the exception of a half kilo of England in the pile... :wink:
Should be fully dry by the morning. They tell me 2 hours but I'll leave them out in the sun tomorrow and do the install on Friday afternoon.
Dash and door cards are promised for Friday too, so I can do that on the weekend and drop off the seats, steering wheel and roll hoops on monday...I'm hoping for the entire re-fit to be complete before the folowing weekend...perhaps with the exception of the two door sill plastic covers which Emek sent strapped to the back of a sea turtle from Poland... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Further update....today I dropped off the Z at my mechanic, helped strip out the front suspension and cleaned up the parts. Tomorrow morning the new springs will be fitted with all the pads etc etc, and then the rear springs will be done...So, by lunchtime, the completed change to Eibachs will be done...30mm drop.
Might have to do some work on the driveway entrance to ensure I can get in and out without removing the exhausts...but prepared for that..Monday the local builders hardware are dropping off some concrete mix and I'll soften the slope up onto the driveway from the street...which will make for a more comfortable entry speed which isn't possible now anyhow.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

At last...The auto trimmer called to tell me to collect the dash, console and doorcards...I haven't done an inspection, but I gave him a disc with a piles of photographs of the stitching, joins etc etc from every possible angle.
All being well, this will be a weekend of re-fitting dash etc.
I'll be dropping the roll hoops and the passenger seat when I collect from him later...and hopefully I can drop the driver's seat on tuesday next along with the steering wheel to complete all the bits to be done... Aiming at 1st Dec for the photo's :D
"Normal is overrated"

resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

we want WIP pics! :lol: :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

What is WIP pics?? :puzzle:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

OK...Work In Progress...got it...I've been taking pics all along... :D
"Normal is overrated"

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

Southernboy wrote:OK...Work In Progress...got it...I've been taking pics all along... :D
some pics from the leather and carbon shop :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks guys...encouraging words... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Topperz

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Topperz »

Mmm interior porn,very nice :twisted:
The only bad thing about owning a Z3 is bedtime .......boing!! time for bed said zebedee

Z3 cosmos black individual 2.0

X1 /MSport XDrive 2.0d mineral white
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

more porn pics :D

resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

looking very good, assembly of various leather aprts seems very similar to the original ones. ;)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep...that's the way I wanted it. I gave the auto trimmer dozens of photos so he could see what was required...
"Normal is overrated"

('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

PCSAM wrote:more porn pics :D

That brings back some memories from when i did the extended leather dash on mine :oops:
All looking good though, cant wait to see it all finished
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks PCsam for posting my pics....as usual... :cheers

I'm very pleased with the level of workmanship the local guy has achieved. Must say, in my money it's still very reasonable compared to sourcing original leathered parts, added to which it's brand new leather !!

I'm really looking forward to having it finished though...it's been an extended wait for the auto trimmer, with whom I dropped off the dash and door cards on the 4th of November.
I'll hopefully have pics of the completed project by next weekend... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Looking very nice.

Also noticed that the steering wheel is on the correct, right side :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yes, there are very few countries where that "other" trend is disdained....and quite correctly too :D
"Normal is overrated"

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Looking Good, like the white dials :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Dials came from Germany....Love them too...and with the lights on at night they are really cool!
"Normal is overrated"

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Southernboy wrote:Dials came from Germany....Love them too...and with the lights on at night they are really cool!
Are they complete dials or a sticker kit.
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

They're complete dials..remove the black and fit the white..
"Normal is overrated"

huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by huntert »

Very similar to mine mate, only i have chrome where you have carbon..are you doing your seats and door cards to?