Full car cover

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Full car cover

Post by Pierrick »

Hi guys. I'm looking fo a full car cover for my Z3. There is everything and at all prices on the internet.
The car is used every day, it's just to protect it during the night this winter , against the frost, snow...
Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
magicmitch

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Full car cover

Post by magicmitch »

Hi there, I have just bought my second one from Halfords, first one lasted 3 years which is not bad as the Z sits outside in all weathers. I live by the sea so often pop it on during the summer to protect from seagul sh~t !!
If you go for the top spec one in the small size it comes in at around £60, its a tight fit and will not stay stretched over the bonnet in high wind. Also you need to get a long bamboo cane to "feed" the strap underneath the car to the other side, beleive me this will save you hours!
Ok there are MUCH more expensive covers out there but I reckon this is pretty good value and as you can see from the pic it is a very good fit. One other tip, take a Sharpie and write a huge F inside at the front, this will save a lot of time faffing about trying to find the little label with "front" written on it, and dont even try to put it on in the wind!!!
cheers

Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

There is a strap underneath?? I have to take to cover every morning to go to work... end put it back the evening!! Not really practical!

Ant which antenna do you have? I have a long one... I think I need to buy a smaller!
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

They usually have a strap underneath mate, otherwise they fly away :wink:

Top tip is don't bother unless your car is spotless before fitting - otherwise they scratch your paint :head:

The soft-top should stand up to snow / frost / rain anyway provided you don't leave it outside for days/weeks on end unused and it ain't got any holes provided you keep it clean / proofed.
weegeoff

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by weegeoff »

Pierrick wrote:There is a strap underneath?? I have to take to cover every morning to go to work... end put it back the evening!! Not really practical!

Ant which antenna do you have? I have a long one... I think I need to buy a smaller!
How do you get in the car?? :rtm:
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

chrisp_1 wrote:
Top tip is don't bother unless your car is spotless before fitting - otherwise they scratch your paint :head:

Top tip is to buy one that doesn't scratch which is what we did !!!
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

It's not the cover that scrtches - it's the grains of dirt / sand it rubs against :thumb:
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

No scratches,use the cover every single day.Can't comment on the experience of others.I wouldn't be without a full cover.Worth their weight in Gold,IMHO.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

I agree, covers are great, as-long as you don't fit them when the cars dirty / wet.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

error
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

geminimustang wrote:No scratches,use the cover every single day.Can't comment on the experience of others.I wouldn't be without a full cover.Worth their weight in Gold,IMHO.
what cover do you have?
geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geminimustang »

Voyager,around £70 on Amazon.I like the fit,not too tight on the car,allows air to flow around.I like the quality and the weight,it comes with a bag that it can be stored in.I like the two straps that go under the car and the shape allowing for the door mirrors.My only criticism is in gale force winds,it blows up both at the front and back,maybe 7-10 days a year,it's not perfect.Would I be without it? No .Value? Absolutely. Recommend to others? Yes. I haven't got a garage so I believe a full cover is a must.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

I'll buy the one from halfords, my car is far to be spotless but I don't think it will damage the paint, well, I hope! And where the car is kept overnight it's not too windy!