Alternatives for USB Power outlets.

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Alternatives for USB Power outlets.

Post by Southernboy »

My question is, has anyone had / got / considered a position for an alternate USB power outlet point other than the cigarette lighter?

Some of the things about in car charging devices are unfortunate. The USB plug sticks ot of the cigarette socket in such a way as to make 5th gear distracting. Also, the length of the USB cable. It's long enough to be able to place the cellphone etc on the passenger seat, but now, 1st, 3rd and 5th gear become potential "cable entangled". Since it's these USB plugs are unlikely to change, it seems the only alternative is to consider an alternate power output point which will leave the console / gear lever area intact and without creating another issue elsewhere.
Wherever it will be plugged in, the USB plug will stick out, so it has to be somewhere / how which will negate the offensive appendage.
I would be interested in any practical, yet aesthetic solutions or recommendations. :bounce:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Alternatives for USB Power outlets.

Post by Devon Z »

I've fitted a double lighter socket on a fly lead in the glovebox and put a twin port USB socket off E-bay in one socket.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Where did you take the power from, and did you route the cable behind the center console and then into the glovebox ?
"Normal is overrated"

Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Southernboy wrote:Where did you take the power from, and did you route the cable behind the center console and then into the glovebox ?
Took the power from the assessery circuit (audio) and if I remember right the cable drops through a hole in the panel above the glovebox so it dosn't get in the way of the glovebox opening.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That means the output isn't "hot" until you switch the ignition on...nice! :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Southernboy wrote:That means the output isn't "hot" until you switch the ignition on...nice! :wink:
Mines feed from the same supply as the radio so it's live in the key position before the ignition is on :? if that makes sense.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yes, I understand, and basically what I meant...It comes on in the same key position as the radio power comes on.
"Normal is overrated"

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

My stereo had a USB extension lead with a female USB connector on the end, so I routed it up to the ashtray and it sits in there with a USB with my music on it. Means I can take the USB key out and change the music without hassle and if I wanted I could plug my iPod into it. Not tried it for phone charging yet, but as the lighter socket is frequently occupied by the satnav, an extra socket wouldn't go amiss.

Barry, as you've fitted an armrest, I would have thought that underneath that would make a great place to put a USB connector.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hi Rob..I have one there. It powers the Garmin satnav which I have mounted aft of the armrest where the small rectangular cup thing is located. I reckoned I didn't need to see it, since it has vocal direction instructions. That was really simple since the connector there fits flush with the bottom of the compartment under the armrest, so it barely takes up space. My Becker radio has an iPod extension which currently is routed into the glovebox. I have decided to get the auto trimmer to make up a small leather pouch (in red & black leather) with some velcro on the back of it wich I can stick to the carpet adjacent to the cigarette lighter so the USB cable can take power from there for my cellphone which I will pop into the pouch. But it's the USB plug going into the USB port in the cigartette lighter which isn't quite what one wants. Maybe I will create a connection behind the console and at back of the radio to plug the USB cable into, and then route the cable behind and under the center console then out and into the side of the leather pouch. Might be the neatest solution, and the velcro pouch can be easily pulled off / replaced when cleaning the carpets.
"Normal is overrated"

XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

For my iPhone USB power cable I installed an additional 12v socket (one of these) hidden inside the center console, the power tapped from the existing cigarette socket. I've got a 12v to 5v USB adapter plugged into this, which in turn has a standard black USB iPhone cable plugged into it. The wire is then fed out of the gap at the top of the passenger side of the centre console just to the left of the stereo.

It's not the cleanest solution but it does afford the flexibility of changing the hard-wired cable by simply inserting another USB cable or 12v powered adapter into the plugs hidden away inside the centre console.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

oooooh...that looks the dog's !! Where is available from Rich ?
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Cool...I'll pop in at my IT shop !! Cheers... :lol:
"Normal is overrated"