First decent clean (PIC HEAVY)

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

First decent clean (PIC HEAVY)

Post by martyb »

So here it is, my z3 1.9

Although the weather was freezing and a neighbours having a chat about it, i managed to get a half decent exterior clean.

Started off with using the autoglym fabric hood cleaner and proofer, forgot to take pics sorry but i feel itll need another proofing tomorrow.

started off with a quick wash

since it had been sitting a little while i wanted to make sure i cleared the paint up as much as possible...

had faily decent results, my phone doesnt capture it brilliantly...

then for a polish

heres how it got came out...

then a protective wax coating...

my shaky hands at this point in the cold as light almost dissapeared...

and one more from the front...

Due to light fading and getting slightly damp feet it was time to call it a day. interior and engine bay to come in the next few days :)

Hope you guys like the photos wasnt the best chance iv had to spend cleaning but id say its brought the finish up well

:D
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Re: First decent clean (PIC HEAVY)

Post by Z3cade »

You mush have been frozen doing it today!! :shock:

I wouldn't recommend polishing and waxing a car in this weather but it looks good!

8-)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

i was boiling by the time i was done haha

i know i would never normally in this weather but having just got and generally loving seeing my cars past and present having a good clean i couldnt resist!
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

I know what it's like :wink: all new toys need a good clean and polish!

Lets just hope this crap weather rolls on through so we can get the wind in our hair again! :geek:

Any plans for the beast? :D
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

yeah totally, never experienced the top down yet... :cry:

Well as you may have guessed i have been scouring the forum almost every point since i knew i was getting it.

So far my thoughts consist of (insurance friendly mods that is since im fairly young in there eyes);

Improvement on current head unit,saving for some nice bbs styled wheels maybe a few interior touches such as nice z3 sills.

Any you could suggest iv possibly overlooked?

Also its going to the garage tomorrow, theres a squeaking coming from the rear suspension which is irritating me! and the temp is staying a touch too low so looking into getting a service relatively soon since its been a while since its had one and looking into saving for a new hood.

any ideas about the squeaking or the temp?

Soo iv got a fair wee project on my hands but confident when its done itll be very close to my heart. :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Rear squeaking is most commonly caused by the rear shock top mounts. Not a huge job to replace, but a bit finnicky working behind the seats if you have roll bars. Suggest you do a search in the Z3 Knowledge base under "rear shock mount replacement" or such...it's been covered extensively. Wouldn't be too concerned about the temp issue...wait until summer and see what it does then. Worst case scenario is the thermostat is stuck in the "open" position and water flows continuosly through. Crappy job replacing it, but one which can be done in a couple of hours at most. Some spares will be required to do the job inc a new thermostat. Suggest you search the Z3 knowledgebase again for info on that task. Certainly ask the service guys about it, and get their opimion too. No doubt others on the forum will chip in with good or better advice on your queries too. :wink:
And, that's a good job on the wash / polish you've done...it looks heaps better.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Car's looking really good after a good clean and polish, rather you than me in that cold weather :D
ImageImage
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

Yeh agree the noise could be a few things but most likely culprit could be shock top mounts

I did both of mine and its not too difficult to do, biggest issue is getting access - it did make a big difference both to the handling and the knocking I was experiencing

I used one of the guides on here to do the job - very helpful

Car looks great by the way :lol:
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I agree with the above and would guess shock mounts. Other things tend to either “knock” or “rattle”. The mounts are nothing serious or expensive; I’m currently waiting for mine to arrive so that I can change my rear shocks as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-E36-E46 ... 6448545%26

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=34620
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Outstanding response and help here guys, thank you.

Well I dropped it off this morning at the garage there was a small issue with the bonnet release and drivers door being a little stubborn at times so they were to be fixed and hes also gonna have a look at the rear for me.

Although he seemed to think it was possibly the bushes, couldnt say for definite until he got it up but whether it be bushes or top mounts it seems to be a relatively inexpensive fix. So im not too worried.

awesome forum so glad to have joined!
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Regards insurance you should try for a classic policy..
I'm with Adrian flux classic and my M roadster is only £256 for the year ;)
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

as it s the 1.9 you have (m44) . get the Garage to fit a new thermostat .the temp should be at half way when its up to proper running temps . if its colder its bad for the car mate . poor fuel consumption and it will have and fail an MOT with the emission . the proper heat from a m44 (your car) should be virtually unbearable from the vents on it honestest settings ...... get the garage to replace thermostatits a one piece unit and you need to drain the antifreeze to do it properly (can work out expensive)
and your car is spotless come up and do the same to mine .....
I was out on a 40 mile top down trip today -1c in the end i had to put the top because it started snowing :head: