BOOT CARPET UPGRADE.

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

BOOT CARPET UPGRADE.

Post by Southernboy »

For some years I have grimaced everytime I open the boot...the OEM carpet fittings have progressively degenerated. The section at the back where the boot light fits has sagged between the press in plastic clips, the side pieces have sagged so the tabs no longer stay put behind the tail light covers, and the floor section has started to curl up at the edges. I have toyed with the idea of simply ordering replacements from BMW, but the cost of these are eye-watering. I decided to have a go at replacing them with a better quality "Aerotouch" carpet. This is considerably thicker than the OEM stuff, and actually has a pile vs a hard fibrous finish. It's the same stuff that one usually finds in the cockpit fitted as "deluxe" floor mats..
I purchased 2 meters x 1.5 m wide, in black, and began with the two side sections. These have complex bends / folds etc wich make it very difficult and even impossible to copy using flat carpeting. The originals were obviously pressed in a mold to achieve these complex shapes. I overcame this by cutting the OEM carpets into manageable sections - 4 pieces on both left and right side sections, 3 pieces on the boot light section...the floor section is pretty much straight forward and wasn't cut...
I then used contact glue...lots...to coat the surface of the OEM sections and the new carpeting...once bonded, I trimmed the new carpeting to the edge of the cut edges and then using a common, but special carpet joining tape which comes pre-coated with glue and a heat gun, I re-joined all the pieces together to complete each component. The carpet joining tape is used on the back side of the OEM stuff and with the heat gun and the tape placed across the areas to be joined it bonds quickly and dries fixed withing 10 seconds of the heat being removed. I will be collecting some edging (black) to finish trimming the exposed edging on the boot light section at the top where the clips fit, and for the floor section around it's 4 sides. The 3 slots on the right hand side trim still need finishing with an electric soldering iron (hot) which will slightly melt the fibers to cleanly finish the edges. I used the hot soldering iron to punch the holes into the new carpet so the press in plastic clips can pass through...
This shows the depth of the pile - aprox 6mm of fiber and a further 4mm of backing material.

Here you can see the re-fitted side and boot light sections...not great pics, and the carpets still need to be vacuumed and all the bits of loose fiber removed etc...I will post a pic or two later and outside in the daylight so it'll give a clearer view of the final results.
An added bonus - I hope - will be the supression of road noise from the rear wheels, and a subsequent silencing in the cockpit... :wink:

"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: BOOT CARPET UPGRADE.

Post by Southernboy »

.......FYI....The total cost of carpeting, contact glue, carpet joining tape, and edging...£.61.50. Time taken...12 hours over three evenings.... This excludes the cost of replacing the press in plastic clips from BMW, which needed replacing anyhow. I bought 5 meters of carpet joining tape, 1.25 liters of contact glue, and 5 meters of edging. The edging is a canvas type fabric commonly used to edge car floor mats and usually sewn on. I have opted to simply glue it into position with contact glue since unlike floor mats, the boot trim doesn't get kicked about etc as do floor mats... Also, as I mentioned the boot light trim section had sagged between the plastic clips a tad, and I have opted to introduce more plastic clips inbetween the original clips to further support the edge. To do this new 6mm holes need to be drilled through the body metal, and 8mm holes made through the carpet. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Looking good Barry, nice improvement over the stock carpet.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Cheers Hilton...got the carpeting from you know who.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....Here is a pic of the job nearly completed...Just need to have the edging sorted on the boot-light section across the top and the floor section all round.....and a good brush / vacuum....Took it for a quick drive to assess any reduction in road noise...and am very pleased to say it is remarkably quiet compared to just the OEM mats... :D :D :D

"Normal is overrated"